What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 2 vs Panthers @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 2: Knights v Panthers

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Penrith Panthers 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zoidberg

First Grade
Not a great performance but it was good.
Give us that first try to Watson or the penalty goal on half time or the try to Lee or clean up that kick that they scored from and who knows.
Missed opportunity.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
I know we have a new spine but our attack was extremely one out today. Very little attacking footy. Personally found it extremely frustrating.

Positive our defense is 100 times better from last season. Probably should have won that game but still feeling very good about the season ahead

Joel-22

Juniors
The better team won.

Watson and Ramien absolutely appalling performances.

How long do we persist with Watson at fullback? The thing with him, is he barely has the creativity to play fullback let alone 5/8, and Ponga to 5/8 is the future IMO.

I'll give Watson 4-5 games until I'd think about switching him and Mann.

Swarzey

Bench
Blew too many chances. Our attack has gone incredibly backwards over the off season; there's just no direction, no structure and no leadership - all the reasons we needed to sign Pearce, had seemingly covered last year have returned.

Its round 2. I'm still 3-4 more games away before seeing what our "normal" performance is and building from there.

Zoidberg

First Grade
I'll give Watson 4-5 games until I'd think about switching him and Mann.
Watsons front line defence last year was poor. If they do choose to switch things, I could see Watson on the bench, maybe Hunt to FB and Moga to centre.

Last edited:

Pedge1971

First Grade
Ponga got the ball twice with space in 80 mins. One was a try to Lee, the other was a 40m break down the left. Still very clunky as the opposition is overplaying marking Ponga.

Need some plays off other guys inside and out Kalyn to provide sone doubt.

Lots of errors but give credit to Penrith's defence, it was great.

Could have won but cannot complain about the end result. Would not have got within 2 last year and lots of improvement in us.

Sacrolishes

Juniors
Tough loss but will learn from it, still great desperate defence on line in second half. Still need to bring backline into game more. Special mention to Hymal Hunt. His defence was epic tonight. Saved a couple certain tries.

Knight Vision

First Grade
well we didnt play well and still only lost by 2, to a team tipped to be a premiership threat. Lots to work on but we are on track ....better than the last 3 years of getting the shit belted out of us.

Bartwah

Juniors
I’m definitely sold on KP to 5/8, but Watson to FB needs ALOT of work. 2 games in a row where our defence is at least first grade standard

Knight76

Juniors
I'm sold on KP to 5/8 working also, but, for the balance of the team he is better utilised at FB at the moment. Watson just is not up to the role.

Watson to 5/8 again, or play KP at 5/8 and another at FB.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I'm willing to give Watson more time, just back from long lay off after injury and last season. Needs to learn there are times he doesnt need to go a million miles an hour and make silly errors in the process.

Old dog

Juniors
Funny how Ese’ese close to our best fwd last year is suddenly missing tackles, how Watson is not clicking at f/b. Maybe it is positional change, Watson better at 5/8 or is it Ponga at f/b, Ese’ese at 13 but now we have Glasby, the problem is you have more than 13 good players how do you fit them in to get best results. My preference is Ese’ese and Dan on bench, but that means chose between Guerra and Barnett for bench assuming Sione plays, tackled strong again.
Thought Pearce kicking game was a bit off, to many to Penrith fullback taken without pressure, Ponga was not influential except for a great pass to Lee. I,m still waiting on Ramien. Those not mentioned were ok to very good.

Alex28

Coach
We almost won based on our forwards and wingers alone. Our halves did nothing, and as a result so did our centres.

Remember Penrith received two very fortunate tries - the bounce for their first try was very lucky, and i’m not convinced Issiah was across the line when the ball was first grounded.

But previous years, we get pumped by 40 by the Panthers tonight. It was extremely encouraging. Connor was alright - just needs some time. Ponga was alright too - but where the hell is Pearce? With these two finding their feet we need Mitchell to stand up.

But most importantly, how good is a Newcastle crowd that’s loud and in the game? Was great fun to be there!

Yosh

Coach
If Watson didn't have a howler, we win that. Terrible night from the lad but he will get better I think. Can't be much worse than he was tonight...

Really impressed with Barnett, Sione, Klemmer, Gavet and Fitzy. Fitzy is dangerous nearly every time he gets the ball. Can't wait till he starts scoring a try a game again. Sione has been great also. Defense has been outstanding and I think he will offer more in attack once we gel more. Best game I have seen from Barnett in a long time. Aggressive onto the ball, great fast play the balls. That bench role suits him to a tee.

Klemmer was his usual self and Gavet seems to offer so much more than his stats suggest. Really loving our whole forward pack.

It's weird having a defensive winger for a change. Lee should have two or three more tries already this year but his defense has saved us plenty more than that already. I'm a little worried about SKD. He seems a bit fat and slow... I thought he could offer us a fair bit for this season and next but perhaps it's time to slowly groom the next big Star outside back.

Our centres seem solid at the moment. I wish we could get them some more ball... Haven't seen a Newcastle centre get early ball since Mullen used to throw those 30 metre cutout balls to Georgie Carmont a decade ago. Need to get both Hunt and Ramien early early ball to do some damage.

Lost by two but was pretty pleased with what I saw. Not ecstatic but pleased enough.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Thought Pearce kicking game was a bit off
I think you're right, but.....a kick is only as good as its chase and I thought our chase was horrid. No pressure applied and no sense of urgency...maybe the boys were gassed ? not sure but I thought they could have been a lot better in that dept.