1. Out Now: The Front Row rugby league magazine

LeagueUnlimited.com is proud to launch a brand new weekly publication to accompany your footy weekend.

This week, Joshua Wells speaks with injured Canterbury forward Joe Stimson as he works his way toward an NRL return next season, and we have a big double spread of the Rugby League Project's 'Rugby League Scorigami!

EDITION 6 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Match Discussion: Round 21 vs Sea Eagles @ Brookvale Oval

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights' started by LeagueUnlimited News, Jul 25, 2016.

?

Who will win? Round 21: Sea Eagles v Knights

Poll closed Jul 31, 2016.
  1. Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 13+

50.0%
  2. Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 1-12

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Draw after Golden Point

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Newcastle Knights 1-12

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Newcastle Knights 13+

50.0%
  1. K-Man

K-Man Juniors

As bad as Trent Hodkinson? You're joking.

Tyrone is not my favourite player, I don't think he's an absolute gun. I mention him because he's the best direct comparison between what we have now and what we had before / could have kept. For 60% of the salary Roberts is a better footballer than Hodkinson, not to mention younger and with more potential growth.

There's no point discussing genuinely elite players because they will not come here. I rule out the top echelon from my mind and focus on the types of players we actually have some chance with. Unfortunately, that means we have to be smarter, and in ideal world I think we keep Tyrone or buy Taylor before we spend big on Hodkinson.

There is absolutely no way Hodko has even looked like a first grader this year. He has contributed nothing whatsoever to our team. Nothing. I can at least go and show you some Tyrone Roberts highlights. Hodko's highlights are catching the football.

2. K-Man

K-Man Juniors

Exactly. You don't have to rate Tyrone to see make the point that Hodkinson has been a massive disaster for us. We honestly looked better when Tyrone was rocks and diamonds out there, doing some dumb things but occasional good things too. I mean I wouldn't even buy him back now, that's not what I'm saying, I'm just saying i wish we were still 'stuck' with him compared to who we're actually stuck with.

3. Whats Doing

Whats Doing Bench

Having seen Tyrone play all of his home games with the Titans, he has improved his consistency somewhat from his time at the Knights but he is still at the lower end of the NRL halves. He wont be in the halves next year at the Titans with Taylor and Elgey being a shoo-in as the halves pairing, I would say he will be in the Titans 17 but as a benchie for the hooker.

Whilst it was right to move Roberts on with his $400k salary as he is no where near worth it, he is well above Hodgkinson in terms of ability. In fact I would have Cameron Cullen over Hodkinson (and he would be lucky to cost $100k) but he shows so much ticker that Hodkinson doesn't possess.

Whoever was the decision maker at the Knights to bring in Hodgkinson should be sacked immediately.

4. Pedge1971

Pedge1971 First Grade

Look around here 12 months ago and everyone was about how good it was to be rid of Roberts and Hodko was gonna come in and save us (a few sceptics acknowledged but consensus). Lets cut the BS.

Roberts is in a paring that is combining overall this season better than us, Broncos, Saints, Roosters,Souffs, and arguably (IMO) Raiders, Dogs, Tigpies (Farah clause), Warriors.

So argue better forward pack (remember Tits were spoon favourites) and all that stuff about Tyrone being shit. If he is so shit, why does a coach like Neil Henry still pick him?

We made a mistake with him both in price and release for Hodko.....give the guy credit. If he nails it in the finals this year (where he will be not us) then who knows if Elgey has a job next year. It is pretty transient.

5. Whats Doing

Whats Doing Bench

Mate, where did I say he was "shit" so get your facts right. I said he has improved his consistency but is in the lower end of the NRL halves.

He is picked by Henry because of circumstances. The Titans had DCE, then lost him so they picked up Roberts to partner Elgey. They then picked up Taylor as backup but lost Elgey for the year through injury. So the pairing is now Taylor and Roberts so thats why Henry has picked him.

Who knows who would be the halves for the Titans this year if Elgey was fit, but Elgey is the number one half at the club and rightly so and Taylor has been playing better than Roberts this year.

6. newyboy

newyboy Juniors

It wouldn't be hard,

I have been around Gyms and Hi performance centres for 30 years and I have not seen one Knights player who I would rate as having any athletic ability.

You can't teach a half back, Full back or hooker how to play regardless of how athletic they are. But every other position can be done far better with an athlete as a basis.

I have seen people do things that would make your head spin and they are just backyard hacks who are natural athletes.

7. Coby

Coby Coach

Haha righto.

8. Pedge1971

Pedge1971 First Grade

Message was to the general forum mate not directly at you. Though as I replied your post I can see why you read it that way. No harm done.