What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 21 vs Warriors @ Go Media Stadium, Penrose / Aotearoa

Who will win? Round 21: Warriors v Wests Tigers

• Warriors 13+

• Warriors 1-12

• Draw after Golden Point

• Wests Tigers 1-12

• Wests Tigers 13+

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tiger Ted

Bench
They r a team u can rely on to make numerous dumb errors however it’s an area we r the best at & excell in so we should gift them an easy victory.Like last wk when souths wouldn’t have beaten any other team I’ve no doubt at end of this game will b saying the same about the warriors.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Warriors left edge pairing of Graham-Toufa and Kosi very inexperienced. Toa and Staines should have plenty of ball their way. More I look at it more chance I give us.

Pezz70

Juniors
agree

I’d have matamua in there somewhere and would probably have Alaimalo over Luke but overall happy with the team. They might not win but will be good to watch the kids have a crack instead of the plodders.

really looking forward to seeing how Latu goes.
I’d have Alimailo in. Don’t care who plays on the other wing. Benji has done a bit of changing sides in the last few weeks and Lualilii did not handle the left side at all (I’d have dropped Lualilii this week if Alimailo is fit, he had a shocker and was all over the park, Samuel was on the wing quite a bit because Luke was roaming, Luke being selected this week makes me think Benji was experimenting with him roaming). Benji did the same thing with the halves (changed sides) two weeks ago and that wasn’t great either and centres, although centres were force by injuries.

I think the side this week will have a 50+ scoreline put up against them, there’s a bit of potential in the side but there’s probably only 2 fellas in the whole side that would be guaranteed playing NRL at this point in their careers at any other club

Last edited:

Pezz70

Juniors
Warriors left edge pairing of Graham-Toufa and Kosi very inexperienced. Toa and Staines should have plenty of ball their way. More I look at it more chance I give us.
I think Toa is even money to start right side centre and Faatape will be left. I can’t see any reason why Benji would change them from the sides they’ve predominately been playing. Benji has to stop playing around with this changing sides thing, while players should be able to play both sides they get so used passing left to right or right to left, and defence is the same it’s ludicrous to swap them around.

Tigerm

First Grade
YOUNG HALVES GIVE TIGERS FANS GLIMPSE OF FUTURE

They may not be the youngest halves pairing in NRL history - that honour goes to Denny Lambert and Scott Prince for the Cowboys in 1998 - but make no mistake, new Tigers halves pairing Latu Fainu and Lachlan Galvin are young.

Very young. Both are 19 and have played a combined 20 games of first grade, all of which came this year.

By comparison, Chanel Harris-Tavita and Te Maire Martin - the Warriors halves this weekend - have played 157 NRL matches.

Make no mistake, Benji Marshall could have headed in a different direction in his halves this week. Either Jayden Sullivan or Api Koroisau could have lined up in the No.7 jersey instead of Fainu, who’s NRL appearances have all come off the bench.

Instead, Marshall has taken a gamble and shown faith in the 19-year-old Fainu, widely considered by many to be the best half in his age group.

And while it is a gamble which may not pay off in the short-term, there is every chance that in blooding Fainu into the No.7 Marshall made his own at the Tigers he is showing his side’s fans what the future holds.

In Galvin and Fainu, contracted until 2026 and 2027 respectively, the Wests Tigers possess two of the finest young halves in the NRL, with Galvin particularly proving to be not only one of the NRL’s best young stars, but also one of its best halves this season.

Granted Jarome Luai will arrive at Concord next year, leaving Fainu to develop his game in reserve grade or off the interchange bench.

But the Blues Origin star will be 28 when he arrives, hardly a spring chicken, and will be able to impart a wealth of playmaking knowledge he’s accrued alongside Nathan Cleary and Mitchell Moses onto Fainu and Galvin.

In the long term, this development under the wing of serial winner Luai will only serve to improve the Tigers’ young halves, to the club’s benefit.

If all goes well Fainu and Galvin will be the Tigers halves pairing in five or six years time, when they’ll still both incredibly only be in their mid-20s.

That is a frightening prospect for the rest of the NRL, and an exciting thought for Tigers fans who haven’t had much to cheer about in recent years.

As for how they go this weekend, Marshall has given his side a strong, but not impossible, test against the Warriors.

The last time Fainu and Galvin partnered each other in the halves was in high school. The next time they do so will be in Auckland.

Round 21 will be a challenge for most NRL halves, let alone a rookie, but their future won’t be decided by a single contest.

However, Tigers fans will be hoping they perform better than Prince and Lambert back in 1998, when they lost 62-0 to the North Sydney Bears.

This weekend the Tigers will be praying history doesn’t repeat, or rhyme, for their young No.6 and No.7.