What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 23 vs Canberra @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton

Who will win? Round 23: Newcastle v Canberra

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canberra Raiders 1-12

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Canberra Raiders 13+

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bdubs

Juniors
Yes marquee money but they are, when playing well, in the top 6-8 props about. The money isn’t the problem it’s the lack of consistent effort
the money is the problem, if you spend too much on your front rowers, then there is less money to go around for other positions, so the squad becomes unbalanced and has no depth.

I'm not saying to get rid of Klemmer or the Safiti's. I want to find a way to keep all 3 of them, but we definitely overpaid Klemmer and D Safiti

macavity

Referee
the money is the problem, if you spend too much on your front rowers, then there is less money to go around for other positions, so the squad becomes unbalanced and has no depth.

I'm not saying to get rid of Klemmer or the Safiti's. I want to find a way to keep all 3 of them, but we definitely overpaid Klemmer and D Safiti

we need to play one at 13 and commit to a power game. Requires all three to play like top 10 props at all times.

also requires back rowers and a back line that can do something with a retreating defence.

Bdubs

Juniors
we need to play one at 13 and commit to a power game. Requires all three to play like top 10 props at all times.

also requires back rowers and a back line that can do something with a retreating defence.
that could work and Klemmer would be the one i'd play at lock

so next year it'll be:
8 - D Safiti
9 - Brailey
10 - J Safiti
11 - Frizell
12 - Elliott
13 - Klemmer

14 - Sasagi maybe
15 - Thompson
16 - Croker
17 - Hethrington

on paper i think thats a good forward pack and bench

Mr_Knightside

Juniors

Given we’ve invested heavily in the Safs this makes the most sense. We need to get rolling through the middle and actually shift wide and give our backline some actual early ball.

perverse

Referee
Jacob had a pretty underwhelming game on the weekend, completely outplayed by the useless Klemmer. Again.
Yeah, it's not really any one forwards fault - they're all just playing below their wage - and across the entire pack it adds up substantially.

slotmachine

First Grade
I'm just amazed anyone thinks Jacob is going to consistently show up when he's never strung more than about 3 good games in a row together.

Dan did have a really strong 18 months before this year so I have some hope for him in 2023

PhilGould

Bench
Won Player of the Year last year which is an argument you've used to justify Barnett being good before. Strange how you don't count it now. Both brothers have had down years but were easily our best 2 props the previous 2 seasons.

slotmachine

First Grade
Barnett won it twice actually, so does it count or not?

I'll accept Jsaf outplayed Klem last year, so is that year the rule regarding his form, or the exception to the many years of inconsistency around it.

PhilGould

Bench
Barnett won it twice actually, so does it count or not?

I'll accept Jsaf outplayed Klem last year, so is that year the rule regarding his form, or the exception to the many years of inconsistency around it.
The numbers say he was even better in 2020 than 2021 though, and fantasy stats are a true gauge on how well a player is performing, right?