What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 23 vs Canberra @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton

Who will win? Round 23: Newcastle v Canberra

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canberra Raiders 1-12

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Canberra Raiders 13+

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Knew this would happen. Haven't even watched it but was following along at work and when it was 22-8 at half time I was pleased but then came back to it a bit after half time and it was 22-22... so so predictable.

Jono078

Referee
I’m just sick of this shit.
Me too, but I don't think we had any right to be in that game.

Jones and Sue starting backrowers. 1-legged Clune as halfback. D-Saf and Frizell late scratches.

Disappointing for sure but based on what we showed today with what we had, I can't be too mad.

Zoidberg

First Grade
I think I’d rather be just behind all game then lose. Being up by 14 at half time just gives us hope.
Honestly, during the first half, I wasn’t excited until we got the try just before half time, that got me thinking “oh we tried something, we might be onto something here”. Then the 2nd half was stock standard shit yourself Knights.

macavity

Referee
Tex Hoy pretty much single handedly lost us that game. His positioning and attacking of kicks is woeful.

Gagai also comes into that conversation.

Yosh

Coach
Pretty good first half and then AOB opens his mouth at half time and all down hill from there. Great last Ditch effort from Lee on the death. It's such a pity he has been injured so long because he has been great for us when fit.

Hoy was okay in patches when we have go forward but he really lacks the physical or technical skills to be a NRL fullback.

I think in the end we lack the belief we can win. Play some good attacking football when things go well, then immediately go into our shell when the tide turns.

Has our bench ever played well this season? The use of our bench is just horrible, from selection to rotation.

Old dog

Juniors
Overall it was a very good performance from the team considering a couple of late changes loosing DSaf and Friz. Most played good including Hoy (had moments), Young, Lee, Mapapalangi, Croker, Jones, Klem, Brailey JSaf. Gags was hot and cold, Clune, Milf, Sue tried with little moments, Sualo, Sasagi and Okeeley not much opportunity
I enjoyed the game and the effort, bottom line is we was beaten by the bounce of the ball.

PhilGould

Bench
Mapapalangi looked identical to how he plays in Jersey Flegg & NSW Cup, clearly a talented and switched on player who knows what he's doing but doesn't go looking for work that often. It's almost as if he's a 5/8 being played out of position in the outside backs or something. Good signs overall and looking forward to seeing him finish the season in top grade.

Apey

Staff member
Our first set of the second half we made about 30m. I could tell we hadn't bothered coming out of the sheds. You know it's going to happen but it still pisses you off.

Old dog

Juniors
Based on performance Mapapalangi and Lee outplayed Best and Tuala so should hold position.
Was Croker1 best game overall capped by that break and try set up, more minutes than normal should hold his position.
Pack, all fit, 8 Klem, 9 Brailey, 10 DanS, 11 Frizell, 12 Jones, 13 Croker

Loose Cannon

Bench
I forgot “we’re a young squad”
He tried to jump within 6 but got called back for 15 seconds. And Brailey answered a question with “Yeah, definitely” which is language only NRL players use during question time.

“What time is it?”

“Yeah, definitely….”

Yosh

Coach
Mapapalangi did no look out of place at all. He definitely looked tired near the end of the game but he should have been given an opportunity earlier in the season. Our outside backs have been out of form and it would have put players on notice. Why did AOB keep saying we had no-one pushing up from below? Kiraz has been killing it at the Doggies also.

Bdubs

Juniors
Overall it was a very good performance from the team considering a couple of late changes loosing DSaf and Friz. Most played good including Hoy (had moments), Young, Lee, Mapapalangi, Croker, Jones, Klem, Brailey JSaf. Gags was hot and cold, Clune, Milf, Sue tried with little moments, Sualo, Sasagi and Okeeley not much opportunity
I enjoyed the game and the effort, bottom line is we was beaten by the bounce of the ball.
Yes , but if Young could catch a bomb we wouldn't get beaten by the bounce of the ball

Apey

Staff member
Before the game if you'd heard we'd lose by 6 with all our outs you'd probably be satisfied, but it doesnt make it any easier when you're watching it happen. Especially given the second half was 20 - 0.

In the end you could say we lost to a pretty egregious forward pass and goal kicking. Scored the same amount of tries. Most tipsters had us getting smashed (clearly people dont watch the Raiders) so even though I was filthy at the time, this loss is way down the list of failures for me.

That's my positive spin on it anyway.