What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 23 vs Canberra @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton

Who will win? Round 23: Newcastle v Canberra

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canberra Raiders 1-12

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Canberra Raiders 13+

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alex28

Coach
Mapapalangi did no look out of place at all. He definitely looked tired near the end of the game but he should have been given an opportunity earlier in the season. Our outside backs have been out of form and it would have put players on notice. Why did AOB keep saying we had no-one pushing up from below? Kiraz has been killing it at the Doggies also.
To be fair, NSW Cup got demolished by Norths last week and we are coming 9th out of 12 teams. I dont think anyone really pushing up from below. He was put in by necessity and to show no one’s place should be taken for granted.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Nothing about yesterday should surprise anyone. But the body language in the box behind Obi says it all. There are people behind him who are out of ideas which is where he lets himself down by his support crew selections. He’ll survive for now. We’d be better blooding younger talent next year if we are simply band aiding a haemorrhage and panic buying ie Brooks. If we outlay those dollars and little improves, things will get far worse before they improve. The player draft has to become reality. It is the only way to stop the top end club monopoly that has set into this game. Those scores this weekend were proof positive of the gulf. Top sides have gears others do not. How does a team in this comp concede 72 points? That is a major depth issue code wide.

Last edited:

PhilGould

Bench

Putting a player in positions that highlight their strengths and downplay their weaknesses isn't something this club seems to like doing but I hope he gets a run at 6 at some stage. I'd be tempted to play him there as soon as this week if I was in charge. There's really no reason not to try something new with Milford leaving and Clune stinking it up, and he's our best halves prospect despite the insistence on playing him at centre.

Old dog

Juniors
Mapa looking a likely 6 for next season so play him the rest of this season, I would consider Crossland at 7 for rest of season

PhilGould

Bench
As do I but I think that's the work of a coach desperate for wins to ease pressure on himself rather than a coach looking out for the best interests of the club going forward. Much easier to find an NRL quality centre than it is to find an NRL quality 6, think it's worth trying the options we have available.

Knight Tales

Juniors
As do I but I think that's the work of a coach desperate for wins to ease pressure on himself rather than a coach looking out for the best interests of the club going forward. Much easier to find an NRL quality centre than it is to find an NRL quality 6, think it's worth trying the options we have available.
If O’Brien’s job is safe the he should have no issue experimenting. Imagine if we pull off the upset of the year in the final round against the Sharks , cos he went out on a limb, and these kids actually show some legit playmaking ability. What a brilliant way to end the season. The crowd for OB day should be a decent one and putting a kid like Mapa up against The Sharks halves would be a far bigger draw than the cut and paste approach.

Nothing about yesterday should surprise anyone. But the body language in the box behind Obi says it all. There are people behind him who are out of ideas which is where he lets himself down by his support crew selections. He’ll survive for now. We’d be better blooding younger talent next year if we are simply band aiding a haemorrhage and panic buying ie Brooks. If we outlay those dollars and little improves, things will get far worse before they improve. The player draft has to become reality. It is the only way to stop the top end club monopoly that has set into this game. Those scores this weekend were proof positive of the gulf. Top sides have gears others do not. How does a team in this comp concede 72 points? That is a major depth issue code wide.
Pfffft we had 70 put on us by Brisbane back in 2007. The comp has always had that potential

Lets not buy into the wowsers

PhilGould

Bench
If the rumours of Best being on the outer are true then there's more reason to keep Mapapalangi there but I still don't think it's the best utilisation of his talents. If he's not already starting centre next season I hope he plays 6 in reserve grade.

Jono078

Referee
Is Mapapalangi actually a good 6? Like Sasagi was a 6 before we moved him too, but I don't think anyone was screaming he was a good #6..

I think I like what I saw from him out at centre, but I haven't seen enough of him to know what his control and skill is like as a 5/8th.

Bdubs

Juniors
you are right that O'Brien needs more experienced assistant coaches around him, hopefully that is something that will be addressed in the off season. Also i agree that a player draft needs to be introduced to spread the playing talent around in a fairer manner.

The reason the Tigers got 72 put on them is they gave up, that wasn't a depth issue. So they are seperate issues if you ask me

Knight Tales

Juniors
you are right that O'Brien needs more experienced assistant coaches around him, hopefully that is something that will be addressed in the off season. Also i agree that a player draft needs to be introduced to spread the playing talent around in a fairer manner.

The reason the Tigers got 72 put on them is they gave up, that wasn't a depth issue. So they are seperate issues if you ask me
And the other blow out score lines? A lot of sides giving up.

Old dog

Juniors
Yes marquee money but they are, when playing well, in the top 6-8 props about. The money isn’t the problem it’s the lack of consistent effort