What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 23 vs Canterbury @ Cbus Super Stadium

Who will win? Round 23: Canterbury v Newcastle

• Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 1-12

• Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jono078

Referee
You know I love to provide some interesting stats, well here's one to really go along with the shit performance today.

This year the Storm average 35+ points per game. WE have only scored more than 35 points ONCE.

We couldn't even do it against the league worst Dogs who concede 30+ points per game on average.

aqua_duck

Coach
It's also his job to make sure he gets the ball, being captain and one of the leadership group and all.

I really don't buy that excuse tbh. He had ball tonight, and plenty of cases where he could have gone looking for it.

Also his defence - tackling, ball cleanup, positioning, has been atrocious.
I'm not saying he had a great game and his defensive work leaves alot to be desired but as I said at least 3 occasions he had to surrender due to the decoy over running it, 80% of the time on 4th tackle we go the one out hit up. Obviously Ponga needs to lift but the coaching really isn't doing him any favours neither is it doing any favours for Best

macavity

Referee
Klem and Barney were massive handbrakes tonight.

and FWIW I thought Mann was actually half decent.

aqua_duck

Coach
Klem and Barney were massive handbrakes tonight.

and FWIW I thought Mann was actually half decent.
They had 35 hit ups between them which is great, what's not great is I reckon 25 of those hit ups came inside the opposition 30m line. I can't fault them for the enthusiasm, it's on the coaching staff and the halves/hooker to not give them so much ball in good attacking positions

perverse

Referee
I thought Mann was alright today. Yeah they went to him way too much but he had some decent runs.

Besides that, we conceded 3 tries to the worst attack in the comp and scored 4 against the worst defence. Yikes.
I'm not so worried about the tries we conceded as much as the ones we didn't score. Their last try was just freakish off an awful kick, not much you can do about that. The Meaney try (again from a kick), you could say Kalyn was a bit lazy on that one... but it was a well placed kick all the same and hard to defend. The only try they scored that was a concern was James', that one was very soft.

Volcom6685

Juniors
I'm not so worried about the tries we conceded as much as the ones we didn't score. Their last try was just freakish off an awful kick, not much you can do about that. The Meaney try (again from a kick), you could say Kalyn was a bit lazy on that one... but it was a well placed kick all the same and hard to defend. The only try they scored that was a concern was James', that one was very soft.
That was after 3 set restarts , tbh we don’t concede there . We likely have a player in the bin

Zoidberg

First Grade
This team feels like they’re playing a video game against a child. They just take it easy on the opposition to keep them in the game. It feels like we have so much attacking potential just laying dormant.

Last edited:

Knight Tales

Juniors
Fundamentally I think O’Brien teaches old a school high percentage completion footy. Keeps you in game but rarely yields a dominant ruck. Our forwards habitually run lines aimed at resetting our attack to both left and right side options ie. the middle. Even running angled lines is toward the middle. No other team does it more. As a result the big boys rarely target their fringes. We don’t isolate a centre so D Saf can pancake them. We still think forwards can run over other forwards on the line.

Old dog

Juniors
Something needs to change over next few weeks otherwise we are missing the semi’s on for and against.
Big improvement needed especially the spine or narrowing it down, Ponga and Pearce. Will be better with Frizell back most likely for Jones who was steady. Maybe start King for JSaf who had his worst game in a while. Pearce and Brailey need to be more selective in passing. Watson was good but like everyone else wish they would start with Sue and bring Watson on after 20mins or so.

Volcom6685

Juniors
Something needs to change over next few weeks otherwise we are missing the semi’s on for and against.
Big improvement needed especially the spine or narrowing it down, Ponga and Pearce. Will be better with Frizell back most likely for Jones who was steady. Maybe start King for JSaf who had his worst game in a while. Pearce and Brailey need to be more selective in passing. Watson was good but like everyone else wish they would start with Sue and bring Watson on after 20mins or so.
We’d have to lose both games and results go against in other games to miss the finals on fore and against

Jono078

Referee
Based on last night's performance yes but it seems against the bottom teams we usually do just enough to win
Whilst the Titans are below us they are capable of putting points on easily once they get in flow.

Broncos also finishing strong with nothing to lose and are a bigger threat than the Dogs.

Based on last night I’d be willing to put money on us not making the 8.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
AOB’s comments in the presser basically echo what everyone is saying in here. He said our attack isn’t good enough and given we’ve got our spine back together it should function a lot better than it has been. He also mentioned getting the ball to Ponga at the right moment and in the right places.

I thought the attack was pretty good against the raiders but then it’s declined again over the last few weeks which is a bit weird tbh given it should have been getting better with our key players spending more time playing and training together.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Whilst the Titans are below us they are capable of putting points on easily once they get in flow.

Broncos also finishing strong with nothing to lose and are a bigger threat than the Dogs.

Based on last night I’d be willing to put money on us not making the 8.
We’re currently paying $13 to miss the top 8 so chuck $100 on it and you’re laughing.

Latest posts