What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 3 vs Cronulla @ Leichhardt Oval, Lilyfield / Wanngal

Who will win? Round 3: Wests Tigers v Cronulla

• Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks 1-12

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks 13+

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tigerm

First Grade
I agree. He needs to get a bit more height on the ball to allow our chasers to get close + get another 5-10m out of the kick, you can’t have last play bombs dropping on the 20 metre line, you’ll eventually lose the field position battle with that. Brooks was notorious for bombs dropping short, giving the opposition six tackles from
The 30m line
I think what you are saying is true, if the kick is not chased.
Which we did superbly.
We scored 2 tries off his kicks.
Some kick meter stats: Fox NRL figures.
Sezer - 532 mts
Galvin - 190
Hynes - 335
N Cleary - 332

Not too shabby for his first game, imo.

WA Tiger

Bench
After a closer look at Sezer's 5th tackle kicks I feel most kicks were either not deep enough, not long enough or straight down the throat of their deep fielders.
The kicks that were not far enough were in no-mans land...a point where they could easily catch the ball and a point where we couldn't get there before they got steam up.
The kicks need to be where we can put the most pressure on them.
Sometimes a long low drop punt type kick deep to the corners are a change up.
We got away with it because we had energy and they didn't.
In the rd2 loss we kicked the same but lost because the roles were reversed.
Sezer try assist kicks were different, they were excellent.
Sezers organising was superb but the clearance kicks need work. Galvin has a long punt kick so maybe he could alternate more often on the other side of the ruck...left/right foot kickers.
The shorter high kicks from Sezer were so that our guys can get under them. I’d say 85% of last tackle kicks from all teams are too long and easily taken by the fullback. By the time most of Sezers shorter high kicks landed our guys were under them and contesting, and from memory points resulted.
He also almost pulled off one of the hardest kicks …a short chip kick that goes about 10-12 metres only and is caught on the full. Not just over the first tacklers head and not long enough to bounce as most chip kickers do for safety..We got a try from that kick anyway (Galvin and someone else was chasing Jhareem scored the try) ) and it wasn’t caught on the full only because the spot where it landed was overcrowded..Sezers very crafty.

Last edited:

gordsy

Juniors
Watched the replay and whilst it was a good win Cronulla made a tonne of errors and bombed tries scoring opportunities, so I don't think it was the great victory others may think it is. I think 40+ or $50 to watch a game of footy at Leichhardt is steep. I doubt the Government will keep in money for Leichhardt. Darcy Byrne is a snake and doesn't give a shit about Leichardt, only the money it brings the council.
We do have some young players who are gifted and should really kick on. Let's hope so anyway.

Pezz70

Juniors
The shorter high kicks from Sezer were so that our guys can get under them. I’d say 85% of last tackle kicks from all teams are too long and easily taken by the fullback. By the time most of Sezers shorter high kicks landed our guys were under them and contesting, and from memory points resulted.
He also almost pulled off one of the hardest kicks …a short chip kick that goes about 10-12 metres only and is caught on the full. Not just over the first tacklers head and not long enough to bounce as most chip kickers do for safety..We got a try from that kick anyway (Galvin and someone else was chasing Jhareem scored the try) ) and it wasn’t caught on the full only because the spot where it landed was overcrowded..Sezers very crafty.
There was not criticism of the short kicking game it was more about kicks out of our half and the territorial disadvantage when handing over the ball. In a perfect world those kicks should have enough hang time to get some defenders either challenging or tackling and be landing in the oppositions red zone as close to one of the corners as possible. You want the opposition starting their sets as close to their tryline as possible not 30m out

Pezz70

Juniors
Watched the replay and whilst it was a good win Cronulla made a tonne of errors and bombed tries scoring opportunities, so I don't think it was the great victory others may think it is. I think 40+ or $50 to watch a game of footy at Leichhardt is steep. I doubt the Government will keep in money for Leichhardt. Darcy Byrne is a snake and doesn't give a shit about Leichardt, only the money it brings the council.
We do have some young players who are gifted and should really kick on. Let's hope so anyway.
Got to enjoy it while you can. I have reservations, we still didn’t throw much at the opposition in terms of attacking shape inside their 20. I like the way Galvin and Bula play together. If those boys stay injury free and our pack are consistent they’ll be a fantastic combo over the next couple
Of years

Das Hassler

Bench
ordinary, however he had makeshift halves, seemed short a run

i really think hes best position is in the middle, storm seem determined to make him an edge back rower

Thanks for that...I do hope he goes well down there and gets a good injury free run . As for the swap we got exactly what we needed in Olam...maybe Melbourne also will with Blore ? Can't put limits on anyone going down there