What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 3 vs Newcastle @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 3: Newcastle v Wests Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pezz70

Juniors
I don’t care about stats. They hardly ever paint the full picture

Did he take us to finals footy?

Did Manly not get smashed 46-6 last night?

183m for a forward in a side that has been smashed is outstanding. Not to
Mention the 5 tackle breaks. Aloia is a really good prop, it’s a shame we lost him.

Stats should be the starting point on evaluating any player, in an individual game not so much but over 5-6 games or more, they really do tell a story.

Pezz70

Juniors
Aloiai is an average footballer. He’ll end up in Super League soon enough
Wouldn’t surprise me if he ended up at Melbourne or Rabbits. A prop who averages 13 hitups and 138m a game, he’s better than handy, last seasons stats.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
183m for a forward in a side that has been smashed is outstanding. Not to
Mention the 5 tackle breaks. Aloia is a really good prop, it’s a shame we lost him.

Stats should be the starting point on evaluating any player, in an individual game not so much but over 5-6 games or more, they really do tell a story.

Was it a 750k shame we lost him?

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
Was it a 750k shame we lost him?

I thought it was 600k. Are you a Fox Sports writer ?

The guy is a gun. He is killing and he killed it last year. I have no idea why anyone would state anything differently but it's not based on his on-field performances.

I agree that he is probably overpaid but he is a top quality prop in the game. He is better than all our props at this point in time.

Perth Tiger

Bench
I thought it was 600k. Are you a Fox Sports writer ?

The guy is a gun. He is killing and he killed it last year. I have no idea why anyone would state anything differently but it's not based on his on-field performances.

I agree that he is probably overpaid but he is a top quality prop in the game. He is better than all our props at this point in time.
Top quality props make rep teams, and JA is no were near any rep team. He is a decent quality first grader who lucked out by getting a massive contract well in excess of his worth.

A top quality prop will always and should always be in the starting 13.

A reserve prop with ability should always be a stand out when he comes on against forwards who are starting to tire.

Pezz70

Juniors
Top quality props make rep teams, and JA is no were near any rep team. He is a decent quality first grader who lucked out by getting a massive contract well in excess of his worth.
When was the last time a Tiger made a rep team, Nofo killed em last year did not get a look in, unless your team is winning you’re always gonna be hard up chasing a rep spot. Besides the fact that JA is a kiwi, his best year was last year and there was no international rep footy, he is far outperforming that other bloke we sent to manly and he has rep jerseys

Tiger05

First Grade
Some of the comments on here are hilarious. Dude kills it and he is a dud. I suppose Corey Thompson is a dud as well.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
Some of the comments on here are hilarious. Dude kills it and he is a dud. I suppose Corey Thompson is a dud as well.

whats your definition of killing it?

I wouldn’t even have Josh Aloiai top 10 props in the game. He doesn’t intimidate nobody. He runs hard and has great leg drive but has a slow play the ball and no offload. He’s also a lazy defender. Which to me are all quintessential of being a good forward

yes he makes good meters but if you think that’s all you need, well I’m not sure what to tell you

I think Corey Thompson is a reliable first grader who tries very hard. Similar to Momo. I would have kept him (same with Aloiai) but not for the money their respective clubs paid for them

Tiger05

First Grade
He runs hard and has great leg drive

Aloiai is pretty high up in relation to props in the comp along these lines. He carried us last year and he is doing the same thing for Manly this year. There aren't many props getting as good metres and he gets the hard metres as well.

To me that is quality. I also think he has a quick play the ball. Those qualities are to me the essential attributes for a good prop. His defense can go to pieces at times but I think that is typically from overuse as well.

I can understand the Tigers letting him go because Manly supposedly offered him 600k but that is because he can play.

My definition of killing it is when I watch a player play they have an impact. Josh A has an impact.

No worries if people don't rate him but I have to assume it is some hatred of him because he left the Tigers and he did it like a dog. It isn't based on his performances though.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
I can tell you right now when the good props are being talked about he doesn’t rate. Maybe to fantasy league players like you but that’s it

The good props like Paulo, Papalii, JWH, AFB, Safiti etc have an intimidating presence on the field who I consider are the bench mark. I don’t believe teams fear Aloiai one bit.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Josh Aloai was a fringe first grade 2nd rower, turned "okay" middle forward by Cleary. It wasn't until after a full year playing for Madge that he transformed into a solid prop. Nothing special, but decent enough.

He is the definition of "have 1 good year then chase a contract bigger than what you deserve". He will go backwards at Manly, same way Woods did at Bulldogs/Sharks - except Woods went from Kangaroo front rower to decent prop. Aloai will go from decent prop to Super League player

Tiger05

First Grade
I just checked some stats to see how Aloiai looks compared to the top props like Paulo, Papalii, JWH, AFB and Safiti.

Papali playing off the bench like Aloiai has better average metres per game than Josh. The others don't.

Interestingly Klemmer and Tino are at the top of the list.

I also think subjective ideas like teams fearing other props is pretty funny. I doubt these guys are walking around scared of other props. It sounds great but it's bullshit.

For some sort of comparison Paulo is averaging a bit over 100 metres per game whereas Josh is about 140 metres per game.

gordsy

Juniors
Some of it is how they are used too. Paulo is good at Parra but was crap last year in origin, no matter what stats say. I would have loved to have seen JA stay with us but the problem is when you are a bottom team and you cave once to one of these dickheads you are f**ked.

If we were a team who was winning then we could have said to him go to that other team and be shit or stay with us and win. Since we are a crappy team players will bolt for more $$$.

stryker

First Grade
I just checked some stats to see how Aloiai looks compared to the top props like Paulo, Papalii, JWH, AFB and Safiti.

Papali playing off the bench like Aloiai has better average metres per game than Josh. The others don't.

Interestingly Klemmer and Tino are at the top of the list.

I also think subjective ideas like teams fearing other props is pretty funny. I doubt these guys are walking around scared of other props. It sounds great but it's bullshit.

For some sort of comparison Paulo is averaging a bit over 100 metres per game whereas Josh is about 140 metres per game.
Paulos 100m have greater impact than Josh’s 140m