What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 4 vs Panthers @ Panthers Stadium

Who will win? Round 4: Panthers v Wests Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shredder

Juniors
Mark Percival plays centre for St Helens. Strong runner, good hands.
Has played for England as well. Is in his mid 20s.
And funnily enough a goal kicker.
Would be a straight swap.

As a club (and even as foundation clubs before we merged) we have had success with bringing English players across. I think Madge should give the guys a week training with Hodgo and spend all of that time watching English superleage games. Its not a world class comp, but there are some world class players over there.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Probably the revolving door of coaches hasn't helped this, hopefully Madge can fix this, if he lasts his contract?

Well, I decided to watch the press conference on YouTube this morning and had to turn it off after the first minute. He sat there with a straight face and said he was happy with the performance and saw a lot of good in it. His only criticism in that first minute I saw was that he thought we became negative with the ball in the last part of the game.

Well fmd if he thinks that performance was acceptable he wants to start clearing out his desk right now. I’m fuming that this rubbish is deemed acceptable by the coach.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Probably the revolving door of coaches hasn't helped this, hopefully Madge can fix this, if he lasts his contract?

The other thing I’ll add is that, and I’ll be the only one who says this and get roasted for it, is Farah’s game is incompatible with Brooks’.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
We've been stupid with it since about 2009 by keeping Sheens too long, then again in 2014 by not giving Potter long enough. Everything after that has just been more of the same.

On a positive note, at least our board and financial position is much improved

Tiger05

First Grade
Have been a METALLY POOR side for many years now.

That loss was probably the worst I've ever seen in this regard. It wasn't our ability why we lost that game and that is what hurts. We just chocked.

Maguire as a coach needs to do a lot better because that was a low point and clearly our squad isn't terrible.

Tiger05

First Grade
The other thing I’ll add is that, and I’ll be the only one who says this and get roasted for it, is Farah’s game is incompatible with Brooks’.

I don't see that. Robbie was fine last night. Brooks wasn't that bad but he didn't step up and perform again.

The team clearly chocked and that is a coaching issue. We were in that game right up until we lost at the last possible moment and the sad thing is you knew it was going to happen.

I've never seen a team play worse than Penrith and win. The amount of possession and territory we had we should have won by a least 30.

When the good teams get decent field position they'll hit it up in the hope of a quick play the ball while getting the formation set for their next play. We hit up 4 times with each play the ball slower than the last. I don't know if we have any plays or just make it up. It doesn't look like we have anything in mind. Our players aren't good enough to make something happen off the cuff.

Maguire has inherited a team with a bunch of players who have been signed to long term deals on very good money. Let's face it, none of the guys would get a start at the storm or roosters. He has tried some different selections and ways of using the bench that I think for the most part have been good ideas.

While I'd like to add new players this off season I don't want to get back to paying our players to play elsewhere. Unless we can poach a young unknown superstar from another teams system I think the next couple of years are going to be painful.

We just don't have the cattle

Front-Rower

First Grade
I don't see that. Robbie was fine last night.

The attack was as flat as I have ever seen. The team were virtually standing next to him at dummy half all night. He was lucky we didn’t get pinged for a heap of forward passes from dummy half.

The only two times we created depth (Matterson’s pass to Reynolds for the first try and the second try) we score.

magpie_man

Juniors
The faces wearing the jerseys may change year to year, but that same disgusting loser stench still permeates..

Losses like today underscore how in a competition where half the teams make the semis each year, somehow this team can only quality 3 times in 20 years but finish 9th 5 times..

I’m disgusted in myself that I still care after all these years..

I'm generally the perennial optimist but last night really, really stung.
I can't think of another professional sporting organisation so utterly drenched in failure. Maybe the English soccer team?
I went and watched it with my Father-in-law who is a life-long Tigers supporter and who also has vascular dementia. It was a big effort for him even though he lives out that way but that'll definitely be the last time.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I don't see that. Robbie was fine last night. Brooks wasn't that bad but he didn't step up and perform again.

The team clearly chocked and that is a coaching issue. We were in that game right up until we lost at the last possible moment and the sad thing is you knew it was going to happen.

Andrew Johns said in the post match that our halves never touch the ball on tackles 3 & 4 in the opposition 20. As a halfback that’s when he wanted the ball. There’s one reason for that.

Das Hassler

Bench
Andrew Johns said in the post match that our halves never touch the ball on tackles 3 & 4 in the opposition 20. As a halfback that’s when he wanted the ball. There’s one reason for that.

Vic...pretty sure he was talking about Cleary and Maloney

Tiger05

First Grade
The attack was as flat as I have ever seen. The team were virtually standing next to him at dummy half all night. He was lucky we didn’t get pinged for a heap of forward passes from dummy half.

The only two times we created depth (Matterson’s pass to Reynolds for the first try and the second try) we score.

Was this Robbie's fault though ? I'm not Robbie fan but I don't see him as being the problem although he was one member of a team that were atrocious.

Das Hassler

Bench
Have to agree to disagree on this one....ifn i remember right Erin Molan asked him even though they managed to get the win ..what's still wrong with the panthers attack...why they cant score tries. Happy to be proven wrong

Das Hassler

Bench
Was this Robbie's fault though ? I'm not Robbie fan but I don't see him as being the problem although he was one member of a team that were atrocious.

The team.wasnt atrocious...thats just ridiculous. Never mind that every former international and immortal praised their effort ..if our goalkicker got just one of two sitters then you would be talking about how great we were grinding out a win. Oh...and a player cant have great qualities as a player and be a dud at the same time. ...that one just continually does my head in

Tiger Ted

Bench
The team.wasnt atrocious...thats just ridiculous. Never mind that every former international and immortal praised their effort ..if our goalkicker got just one of two sitters then you would be talking about how great we were grinding out a win. Oh...and a player cant have great qualities as a player and be a dud at the same time. ...that one just continually does my head in
Our defence was fine but attack & ability to ice the game were ordinary.

Irrespective of what certain concussed formal internationals thought it was a very poor game of footy.

magpie_man

Juniors
My 2 pence:
Brooks, Marsters and Jennings were diabolical. I'd be flicking Marsters and Jennings to Canterbury Cup next week and bringing in Gamble and Mummy.
Thompson made a couple of fatal errors at the end but, overall, was great.
Mbye, to me, is a lot like Thompson: a solid, intelligent footballer but not a game-breaker. He just doesn't seem to have the blistering pace or tackle-busting ability of a Slater, Turbo, Hayne or Teddy which can change a game.
Fonua wasn't bending the line on his set starts as much as he usually does but I think that was down to possibly Ivan having his team prepared for him and gang-tackling him every time.
Our forwards were great, particularly Garlic Mayo - I'm loving his evolution as an impact tight forward this year.
Reynolds - fantastic.
Farah - meh.

Das Hassler

Bench
Our defence was fine but attack & ability to ice the game were ordinary.

Irrespective of what certain concussed formal internationals thought it was a very poor game of footy.

I agree re the ( compressed ) attack...thought i had was surely / hopefully just playing to greasy ball instructions ...who knows

Tiger05

First Grade

We were atrocious when it counted. We just went to pieces. We chocked and I've never seen a chocking like that.

Latest posts