What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 5 vs Manly @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 5: Newcastle v Manly

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 1-12

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We can build a competitive team around Ponga. He shits me too, but he isn’t the problem.

Reality is we are only going anywhere producing our own and we just don’t produce many athletes. The blokes running riot against us tonight were bigger stronger and faster. Two weeks in a row our forwards have been steamrolled.

Brian Smith got crucified for it, but he was right to recruit big blokes and teach them to play football, rather than rely on the “hard working” Brodie Joneses of the world that we spit out of our catchment.
I can't agree re Ponga. I think he would still be a massive problem even on half that salary. Doesn't offer enough and is a defensive liability regardless of pay grade.

I wholeheartedly agree that Smith was on the right track though. I enjoyed watching us play during his reign and I still think we haven't looked as good since. Don't dare say that to the average Knights fan though. Smith wasn't a part of the boys club.

aqua_duck

Coach
We can build a competitive team around Ponga. He shits me too, but he isn’t the problem.

Reality is we are only going anywhere producing our own and we just don’t produce many athletes. The blokes running riot against us tonight were bigger stronger and faster. Two weeks in a row our forwards have been steamrolled.

Brian Smith got crucified for it, but he was right to recruit big blokes and teach them to play football, rather than rely on the “hard working” Brodie Joneses of the world that we spit out of our catchment.
and in Smith's defence he didn't have 1/10th of the resources O'Brien has now. Smith for all his faults had a knack of finding diamonds in the rough like Zeb Taia, Mark Taufua, Junior Sau, Kevin Naiqama, Richie Fa'aoso and then at the Roosters he brought in guys like JWH, Daniel Tupou, Aiden Guerra, and Isaac Liu who were all big contributors to the roosters success

Jono078

Referee
AOB mentioned the "short turnaround" of 6 days again... Every team is in the same situation! If you keep mentioned short turnaround you start ingraining that to the players heads - 'shit we play in 6 days, gonna be tough to get up for that one but at least coach understands'..

macavity

Referee
and in Smith's defence he didn't have 1/10th of the resources O'Brien has now. Smith for all his faults had a knack of finding diamonds in the rough like Zeb Taia, Mark Taufua, Junior Sau, Kevin Naiqama, Richie Fa'aoso and then at the Roosters he brought in guys like JWH, Daniel Tupou, Aiden Guerra, and Isaac Liu who were all big contributors to the roosters success

No need to defend Smith to me. We were idiots to lose him. He was exactly the right coach for us at the time and I dare say would have had us entrenched in the finals and competing for premierships in the 2010-2014 period.

aqua_duck

Coach
No need to defend Smith to me. We were idiots to lose him. He was exactly the right coach for us at the time and I dare say would have had us entrenched in the finals and competing for premierships in the 2010-2014 period.
and to make matters worse when we turfed Smith we decided his assistant coach by the name of Trent Robinson was also surplus to requirements

aqua_duck

Coach
In fairness you didn’t know about Croker so what do you know about depth, 1st grade only?
i know Croker got hurt in NSW cup last week but thought it was a HIA. I also know our starting pack in NSW cup has 2 players with 1st grade experience in Saulo and Simi

Old dog

Juniors
Crossland might not star but he certainly Carrie’s the failures of this club along with a couple of others especially when we lose.

We know Crossland will go into the halves if Clune is out.
Question is who takes Young's spot.
Sisagi should be in the 17.

Latest posts