What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 6 vs Warriors @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton

Who will win? Round 6: Newcastle v Warriors

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Warriors 1-12

• Warriors 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yosh

Coach
Wow great win~~ Great great win. Loved hearing the crowd as well! Tonight will forever remembered as the night Crossland Mann dominated the Warriors!

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Wow what’s happened to this team.
Last year we would have thrown that game away. A few soft tries to let the warriors back in to it but they find a way to get back in to the contest.
Phoenix best game ever in first grade I think.

Loose Cannon

Bench
Brailey is marking SJ on scrums and it's not working. We need a quicker defender marking up on SJ off those scrums... Not saying Best didn't do terribly but I think we need to change it up.
Standing Brailey one off a defensive scrum is absolutely muppet’s material.

mozza91

Coach
Another good performance. The attack was really fluent and is definitely our strength at the moment. The set plays are working well and some of the off the cuff stuff is top shelf.

Loving the effort all round. I don’t care how old Frizell is we need to re-sign him the guy is all class.

We were so passive defensively on our left edge and Johnson made us pay for it. Need to tighten it up or Penrith will murder us.

All in all it’s good to watch us this year and it’s been a long time since I’ve said that.

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
Crossland had his best game by far, wasn’t perfect but he actually contributed positively which is a pleasant surprise and made some crucial tackles. Edge defence is a real worry, I think it’s definitely not helped by having slow spine players like Brailey, Hastings and Crossland defending 3 in just generally having a disconnect with the centres.
The attack is so much more fluid it’s not funny, when Miller got tackled after the 60m run from the Dom Young restart I feel like in previous years the next few plays would’ve been one out hit ups before we set up for some sort of set play but now we’re not afraid to go sideline to sideline right away.
Special mention to Marzhew, whilst he scored 2 tries I thought some of his tackle 1 hit ups were invaluable. A few times in the second half Johnson pinned Miller in the corner with a well weighted kick, everyone knows how daunting that first hit up can be coming off your own goal line when the opposition are putting all their effort to try pin you down, with Marzhew taking that hit up he always bends the line and typically gets a quick PTB which gives the rest of the set a completely different outlook

perverse

Referee
Crossland had his best game by far, wasn’t perfect but he actually contributed positively which is a pleasant surprise and made some crucial tackles. Edge defence is a real worry, I think it’s definitely not helped by having slow spine players like Brailey, Hastings and Crossland defending 3 in just generally having a disconnect with the centres.
The attack is so much more fluid it’s not funny, when Miller got tackled after the 60m run from the Dom Young restart I feel like in previous years the next few plays would’ve been one out hit ups before we set up for some sort of set play but now we’re not afraid to go sideline to sideline right away.
Special mention to Marzhew, whilst he scored 2 tries I thought some of his tackle 1 hit ups were invaluable. A few times in the second half Johnson pinned Miller in the corner with a well weighted kick, everyone knows how daunting that first hit up can be coming off your own goal line when the opposition are putting all their effort to try pin you down, with Marzhew taking that hit up he always bends the line and typically gets a quick PTB which gives the rest of the set a completely different outlook
There were a few times we managed to dig right out of our own end through the sheer will and hard work of our backs. They were titanic. I know we keep letting in a lot of points right now, but it's hard not to respect the tenacity of the group. You can build a hell of a lot on that foundation if it's baked in. We just keep coming back.

I hope we can hold our gloves up next week against the Panthers. I think if we can walk away from that game not embarrassed with ourselves, it's a moral victory for where we're at in our development. I see no reason to expect anything but a red hot go at them given what we've put up in the first 6 rounds.

Yosh

Coach
The chase after the Crossland intercept was exactly what I wanted from out team this past decade. It has felt like ages since we had the belief to win games. In games gone by our heads would have dropped and we would have let the Warriors roll us. That chase and defense on the following set is perhaps my favorite moment of the season so far.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Our defence was shaky at times, but the Warriors were absolutely coming for us in the second half. I don't think many teams would have held on with the amount of possession they started the second half with and how good they were playing. We are so much more resilient this year.

Burwood

Bench
It’s funny- teams throw everything at us in attack and the boys can hold them out on the tryline for 2-3 sets. But gee they have let in some extremely soft tries with someone burrowing over from dummy half or Johnson running the exact same scrum play last night for two tries.

The chase after the Crossland intercept was exactly what I wanted from out team this past decade. It has felt like ages since we had the belief to win games. In games gone by our heads would have dropped and we would have let the Warriors roll us. That chase and defense on the following set is perhaps my favorite moment of the season so far.
Not only the chase but the way we lined up in defence straight after that was impressive.