What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 6 vs Warriors @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton

Who will win? Round 6: Newcastle v Warriors

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Warriors 1-12

• Warriors 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PhilGould

Bench
Going on the Roosters forum and seeing them believing the NRL is out to get them tells you all you need to know about fandom in general, but I agree Warriors fans seem to be particularly paranoid.

Check out the Bulldogs Kennel forum during any game if you want to see truly unhinged fandom.

mozza91

Coach
The refs were alright last night. No huge stuff ups from the bunker or anything.

Sad state of affairs when no major f**k ups = a good performance.

Zoidberg

First Grade
I am starting to absolutely hate the reviewing a try after awarding it.
I find myself not getting excited about a try being scored until the little blue “try confirmed” text appears at the bottom of the screen. It sux.

mozza91

Coach
I am starting to absolutely hate the reviewing a try after awarding it.
I find myself not getting excited about a try being scored until the little blue “try confirmed” text appears at the bottom of the screen. It sux.
Yeah it’s no better than the video ref.

Apey

Staff member
It’s funny- teams throw everything at us in attack and the boys can hold them out on the tryline for 2-3 sets. But gee they have let in some extremely soft tries with someone burrowing over from dummy half or Johnson running the exact same scrum play last night for two tries.
Like Aqua said, those scrum tries were basically concedesld due to Brailey being way too slow compared to Johnson.

And yeah, the current try awarding system is garbage. I'm one of those fans that's never had a problem with the video ref way of doing it though.

ryan.a87

Juniors
Yeah, not sure how to fix it but it takes the joy out of the whole thing
It’s a pretty easy solve

give each team two captains challenges a game and the video ref is only ever used if there a challenge

you won’t get teams burning challenges just to have a rest, and you won’t have this try overturned 5minutes after it’s scored rubbish

ryan.a87

Juniors
And watch the league community melt down when an obvious mistake is made when a team doesn't have any challenges
If that happens, the blame is on the team for wasting challenges

as mentioned earlier, nrl are quick to blame refs for their loss. More onus should be put back onto the teams

Rod

Bench
Going on the Roosters forum and seeing them believing the NRL is out to get them tells you all you need to know about fandom in general, but I agree Warriors fans seem to be particularly paranoid.

Check out the Bulldogs Kennel forum during any game if you want to see truly unhinged fandom.

As a NZer but not a Warriors fan I think a certain contingent of Warriors fans are particularly bad when it comes to blaming referees. The sports media here likes to push the narrative that there is basically a conspiracy against the Warriors, and it's created a victim mentality among a lot of their fans.

It's a shame because the team is going well this year and their players play with a lot of ticker, they don't need the fans whining on their behalf every week.

Apey

Staff member
As a NZer but not a Warriors fan I think a certain contingent of Warriors fans are particularly bad when it comes to blaming referees. The sports media here likes to push the narrative that there is basically a conspiracy against the Warriors, and it's created a victim mentality among a lot of their fans.

It's a shame because the team is going well this year and their players play with a lot of ticker, they don't need the fans whining on their behalf every week.
There's a couple on LU too like that, lol.

Nuke

Staff member
I love when they call no try and check the video when the player knows they were short or held up and not claiming they scored.
It's fun, isn't it?
Watching 18 replays in super slow motion from a few different angles just to come to the conclusion that we all did after just one.

Yosh

Coach
Say we are in the grand final and up by 2, last minute, opposition scores and it a knock on the officials missed. Even then you don't want the 18 slow motion replays?

Nuke

Staff member
I was more talking about the 18 replays when everyone knows the outcome before even the first, or at a pinch, when it's clear as day after 1 replay. But they go ahead and do it the other 17 times anyway.

In reverse, how much less special would our favourite 1997 moment have been had after Darren Albert planted the ball and leapt 8ft in the air to celebrate, if the ref put his hands up and called on the bunker to make sure there was no obstruction and that he didn't bobble the ball instead of planting it. Okay, maybe one or two replays would get to the same conclusion as is written in history now, but from someone who was there and has watched it hundreds of times since, the lead up, the try, and the celebrations flowed in one glorious continuous motion that would have been, I believe, a little less enjoyable if there was a 30sec pause on it all. A pause that would lose a bit of the momentum of the celebrations.

I get the bunker and the reason for it, and I'm all for it, but I do feel on a lot of occasions 1 or 2 replays is all that's needed instead of a dozen or more.

Latest posts