What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 8 vs Cowboys @ 1300SMILES Stadium

Who will win? Round 8: Cowboys v Knights

• North Queensland Cowboys 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Newcastle Knights 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Apey

Staff member
If Feeney makes a few mistakes and has a crap game, people will look to jump on Brown and say he made a dumb call. But this is the right decision on a multitude of levels and had to be made.

Sending a message is good enough but also the bar is set very low for Feeney. Even if he's a complete stinker I'd give him a few games before bringing captain Plod back.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Last time a seemingly undroppable player was dropped was last year with Snowden. Not long after he medically retired

Let's hope history repeats

Pedge1971

First Grade
Feeney just needs to be told to run when he sees it and dont try for the miracle play. A few runs when they are on the back foot, a left footed ruck option on that side as a distraction and some serviceable ball to his outside men is the best we can hope for. Put his body on the line in defence. Which is 100x Hodko......

We are assuming it was Brown's call. It might have just been that Hodko wasn't up to it or needed a rest.
I reckon he needed a rest ages ago.
Feeney was crap from what I saw of his last game. I hope he can get it together. He has a Kidley attitude and seems to try too hard at times.

Still Nutty

Juniors
We are assuming it was Brown's call. It might have just been that Hodko wasn't up to it or needed a rest.
Feeney was crap from what I saw of his last game. I hope he can get it together. He has a Kidley attitude and seems to try too hard at times.

Not that I take it as gospel...but it was announced by Erin Moylan on the Footy Show tonight that Hodko was dropped on lack of form by Brown

macavity

Referee

He is like Kidley, but a bit munted

Spot On

Coach
I can't see any other choice Brown could make. He is trying to set a standard and having a 600K player in the 7 who can't run, kick, tackle or create a try was not adhering to that standard. Plus he is the captain. Lol.

It's sad people are in shock when a player who isn't up to the grade is sacked.

perverse

Referee
I can't see any other choice Brown could make. He is trying to set a standard and having a 600K player in the 7 who can't run, kick, tackle or create a try was not adhering to that standard. Plus he is the captain. Lol.

It's sad people are in shock when a player who isn't up to the grade is sacked.
Edit.- actually you were one of my bros on this issue.

Where were all you f**ks hailing this decision as better than blowjobs a few days ago? I thought Brown had no choice but to pick Captain Fraud? This is probably my favourite Browny moment thus far. Earned himself another year from me.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
As I said, I cant stand Feeney and I don't expect much from him but at the very least Brown had to replace Trent with someone (I didn't care if it was with a bloke of the street) to at least let the Newcastle fans know he was effing furious with what the 7 had dished up so far this season.

Not one other journo or league 'expert' beside Toohey had even made comment about his form which simply shows that no one is watching our games doesn't it??? How could they have missed last week's performance??? It would have been my entire focus for any article written if I were a journo.

Can picture Brown, sitting at home with a beer in hand, mulling over the chess pieces that are the Newcastle Knights players and positions, picking up the Hodko piece and throwing it in the bin. "If we're gunna win another spoon, I'm at least gunna have a say in how we're going to do it! No cut and paste this week!"

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
If Feeney makes a few mistakes and has a crap game, people will look to jump on Brown and say he made a dumb call. But this is the right decision on a multitude of levels and had to be made.

I hope this is not lost on the real Newcastle fan base. Surely everyone can see the benefits of this decision before kick off even takes place this w/e regardless of the result.

Spot On

Coach
....and the gifts from the previous era of Knights management keep on giving.

"Hodkinson faces a weekly battle to get on the field because of a chronic knee injury."

Pedge1971

First Grade
Thise who have seen a few games what has Feeneys form been like in the reserves? Rocks and diamonds?

Any chance he pulls out a competent performance on the weekend?

Glendale

Juniors
From what I've seen he's been pretty bad. Will Pearsall has been the better of the two halves in Cup.

I don't really mind him getting a shot though. This is it right here for him. If he wants a first grade career this game is a make or break. Let's see if he stands up.

K-Man

Bench
I'm no Feeney fan or defender, but rocks and diamonds and knees that work sure beats rocks held up by knees made of more wobbly rocks.

He's not a game manager (but neither is Hodko). He does some dumb things (so does Hodko). But he also, occasionally, does some good things. What I do like about Feeney in the halves is that he has a real go, from what I've seen in NSW Cup anyway. He backs up and he takes on the line with a big step and plays a bit off the cuff, which sometimes isn't a bad thing.

He won't bring the structure to our attack I desperately think we need though. It will be more of the same headless chooks strategy inside the opposition 20, but maybe, just maybe, he'll make things happens now and then. Hodko was contributing absolutely nothing at all.

That said, Asiata will probably be Man of the Match and make both our halves look reserve grade standard.