What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 8 vs Sydney @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 8: Newcastle v Sydney

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GidleyTwinz

Juniors
For a forward pack that people say "looks good on paper", we are consistently beaten through the middle. Klemmer and Frizell are on big packages, but really don't offer the explosiveness of the real top players at their positions. The rule changes have really reduced the value of a Klemmer-type player, and since he's lost the offload, his slow but high workrate approach isn't effective.

Add that to the fact that our back 3 aren't the types to really generate meters (if Ponga is your fullback, that's his real weakness - that he can't carry it out of your own end in the way an RTS can. You need very differently profiled wingers if he's your fullback), and that we neither of our halves are first grade standard, it's not surprising we are where we are.

GidleyTwinz

Juniors
That's a totally different story to discuss.

I simply commented on Kalyn's efforts tonight, only you can control your own efforts.

I disagree on the effort. He came back with no preseason and was our best. He was sick the next week and still was our best (also won the game for us), and was close to the best the next week too.

Expectations are too high IMO. There's only so much one player can do in what is a pretty bad team. I don't think you could sub in a Tedesco or a Slater and get a notably better result over the last month.

Jono078

Referee
I cannot stand how often we concede those kind of tries because Kalyn is in the line (this is not a go at Kalyn, I'm sure he's coached to do it).

K-Man

Bench
The real problem tonight is not the result, it's what the performance itself indicates. I think this is the most demoralising game in a long time because you couldn't say we were unlucky, or that the refs were against us, or that we had our chances. We actually make up with nothing at all, it's been a completely insipid effort in every single aspect of the game. I genuinely don't see us coming back from this one. We'll play the Raiders back into form next week and then that's pretty much that.

Jono078

Referee
I disagree on the effort. He came back with no preseason and was our best. He was sick the next week and still was our best (also won the game for us), and was close to the best the next week too.

Expectations are too high IMO. There's only so much one player can do in what is a pretty bad team. I don't think you could sub in a Tedesco or a Slater and get a notably better result over the last month.
Once again you're missing my point mate. This isn't about results. This is about if there's someone about to score a try and he's last in line I want him to do his best to stop it.

Yes he does great plays for us and gets us points, but I don't think it's too much to ask for better attitude and effort.

What do you think Payten is saying if Ponga is at the Cowboys?

Jono078

Referee
The real problem tonight is not the result, it's what the performance itself indicates. I think this is the most demoralising game in a long time because you couldn't say we were unlucky, or that the refs were against us, or that we had our chances. We actually make up with nothing at all, it's been a completely insipid effort in every single aspect of the game. I genuinely don't see us coming back from this one. We'll play the Raiders back into form next week and then that's pretty much that.
Hope this post wins the most likes.

Tonight is not about the scoreline at all.

Alex28

Coach
Is it that our players just aren’t willing to do what the Panthers and Roosters players have done to us?

When they do something, there’s two or three players backing up and getting involved. When they kick there are players competing for the ball. We are back 10 metres waiting to defend.

We aren’t willing. I doubt we are capable. We don’t want it.

Latest posts