What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Thread - Triple Header at Eden Park

Clarkent

Juniors
I won't be surprised if SBW plays for Samoa. The opportunity to play for Samoa is one of the big drawcards of returning to league as he can't do it in union.
I don't think he will... He's at the end of he's career and he's not what he used to be... I hope he does but I don't see him playing like he used to

Springs09

Juniors
I don't think he will... He's at the end of he's career and he's not what he used to be... I hope he does but I don't see him playing like he used to

I actually managed to watch some of the bronze final last night and SBW was easily the biggest attacking threat on the field, though I don't know how he goes game to game.

He doesn't need to be what he used to but just his presence would help both Samoa and the game. His presence definitely lifted the profile of the RLWC 2013.

Springs09

Juniors
And if the Aussies weren't coming to the UK in 2020, under the Oceania Cup rules Tonga would be relegated for Fiji. WTF?

Yep its ridiculous. Tonga has saved this year just like they did in 2017.
If this was a Four Nations (still not ideal, but better than the amazing 'Oceania Cup') Tonga would be 2-0, NZ and Aus 1-1 and GB/Eng 0-2. Tonga has achieved something amazing but other than memories and goodwill has nothing to show for it other than finishing bottom of some nothing tournament.

newyboy

Juniors
Great result for Tonga and the International game.

Crazy that since the 2017 RLWC Australia has a win record of only 50%

Meninga is not a coach, that's why. When the QLD Spine stopped, so did Australia's game plan. It was basically a pseudo Bellamy coaching gig. Now Meninga has to walk on his own and we are being shown up.

Cookie is a bench player, not an organiser.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Well this is definitely huge for International game but also cant imagine what's like back in Tonga.

I'm a little shocked at the result, reason I'm not that shocked as looking at that Tongan team theres so many players with FG experience and they really turn up in a red jumper. Theyre really committed. Whoever made that tackle on Tedesco towards the end, that's great play.

The other reason was I dont think this Aussie team has been that impressive. Last week they played a Kiwi team who were just awful too many mistakes.

I think if you throw Keary in that team they might go better.

The first time since 78 they lost a test against a non Kiwi non Pom team.

Getmefood

Juniors
Wonder what the next step is for Tonga? sorting out the issues with the Tongan National Rugby League governing body would be one, with a goal to win the 2021 RLWC & maybe a Tongan team in the NSW or QLD Cup the year after this to increase the amount of Tongan professional players.. another would be to look at under 20s Oceania Cup.

Matua

Bench
I actually managed to watch some of the bronze final last night and SBW was easily the biggest attacking threat on the field, though I don't know how he goes game to game.

He doesn't need to be what he used to but just his presence would help both Samoa and the game. His presence definitely lifted the profile of the RLWC 2013.
Don't be silly, no he wasn't.

stryker

First Grade
We have been so spoilt for years owning rugby league's best ever spine. Smith, Cronk, Thurston, Slater was a spine that regularly beat national sides on their own. It was like having 4 coaches on the field whose decision making rarely ever contradicted each other. They had similar vision and never panicked.

Fast forward to the present spine and it couldnt be more different.
The spine of Cook, Cherry-Evans, Munster and Tedesco...whilst individually talented, are a clunky collection of players. Cherry is the director, but there is no contingency for when he is played out of the game. Cook, Munster and Tedesco are X-factor players of extreme skill but not one of them could lead a horse to water. Not an iota of leadership amongst them. When the game plan is challenged, they resort to their clubland roles of hogging the ball and trying to do it all themselves. They cant enact a gameplan nor adapt it to the conditions. They panic and force play through 1%er tricks.

Australia were outplayed but should have stolen the win in the final minutes. The good spine would have got it done. With this new spine its a lottery. They have a long way to go before they earn the avalanche of plaudits they recieve.

Having said all that, a big congrats to Tonga. They wanted it more and executed ferociously. It was brutal and they were the better side. An historic victory.

Front-Rower

First Grade
The good spine would have got it done.

People bang on about how good JAC, Teddy et al. are but they are doers. They need a good half or halves pairing to set stuff up for them. Sure every now and again they’ll pull something from the fire but people under estimate how important the halves are.

In saying that if Daly Cherry-Evans was in a wests tigers jumper I’d argue it wouldn’t have been 8 years since our last finals appearance.

batley

Juniors
Something really wrong with this game of ours which makes it look stupid.We have an English ref doing the Gt Britain v Kiwi game and an Aussie ref doing the Tonga v Aussie game.The blame can be put on the Aussies who want one of their refs to control their games for obvious reasons.

taste2taste

Juniors
Don't be silly, no he wasn't.
You must have been watching a different game to the rest of us. Most Union scribes rated Williams one of the best on field.

SBW is far from a has been and without sounding too disrespectful to the ESL he'd be one of, if not the best player in the comp.

Based on comments from both Williams and Papalii in the past month I'd bet they'll both be playing for Samoa in the 2021WC. Now, if Samoa can get Haas and Asofa Solamona to commit ( Samoa are also after RTS but I can't see that happening ) a full strength Samoan side has a legit chance of beating a tier 1 team.

stryker

First Grade
People bang on about how good JAC, Teddy et al. are but they are doers. They need a good half or halves pairing to set stuff up for them. Sure every now and again they’ll pull something from the fire but people under estimate how important the halves are.

In saying that if Daly Cherry-Evans was in a wests tigers jumper I’d argue it wouldn’t have been 8 years since our last finals appearance.

Yep. Daly is the sole point of attack in a structured system. No one else in the QLD Origin or this Kangaroo team can effectively manage a game. They are all reactionary opportunists waiting for some one else to pierce the line or miss a tackle. Game managers are worth their weight in gold. I was hoping Munster would become one as he has learnt from the best but he doesnt have it in him. Tedesco only plays for himself and doesnt direct play unless its for movements he directly benefits from. Cook has deficiencies around defence which muddle up his attack. Literally scooting and broken field running are his only asset. Cherry is the only strategic thinker and that makes him an easy target to shut down. Luke Kearey is the answer for mine.

hutch

First Grade
You must have been watching a different game to the rest of us. Most Union scribes rated Williams one of the best on field.

SBW is far from a has been and without sounding too disrespectful to the ESL he'd be one of, if not the best player in the comp.

Based on comments from both Williams and Papalii in the past month I'd bet they'll both be playing for Samoa in the 2021WC. Now, if Samoa can get Haas and Asofa Solamona to commit ( Samoa are also after RTS but I can't see that happening ) a full strength Samoan side has a legit chance of beating a tier 1 team.

Maybe not Nelson!

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/spo...ver-switch-allegiances-despite-samoan-lineage

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Yep its ridiculous. Tonga has saved this year just like they did in 2017.
If this was a Four Nations (still not ideal, but better than the amazing 'Oceania Cup') Tonga would be 2-0, NZ and Aus 1-1 and GB/Eng 0-2. Tonga has achieved something amazing but other than memories and goodwill has nothing to show for it other than finishing bottom of some nothing tournament.

Both Tonga and NZ would be 2 - 1. NZ beat Tonga in round 1 of the tournament on rep weekend.

jim_57

Staff member
Wonder what the next step is for Tonga? sorting out the issues with the Tongan National Rugby League governing body would be one, with a goal to win the 2021 RLWC & maybe a Tongan team in the NSW or QLD Cup the year after this to increase the amount of Tongan professional players.. another would be to look at under 20s Oceania Cup.

This is next to impossible in my opinion due to a few factors. Although I could see it working for Island nations to be "partnered" with existing QLD/NSW Cup teams. The Q/NSWCup side could play a trial or regular season match there and hold trials annually to create a pathway to semi-pro RL.

Tonga and Samoa to start then the likes of Vanuatu, New Caledonia, Solomon Islands etc.. even Asian nations could be worth a look. Would probably need some subsidies to make it worthwile for a club to try it at least originally.