What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mateo a MUST 5/8th!!!!

Eelsnutcase

Juniors
I personally think he needs to start at 6 and morts at 7 ...... yes i know he is unfit BUT with him at 6 and having more responsibility i think he WILL lift. As far as his fitness goes KK can come on and give him a rest if need be . He is not a hit up type forward he is a ball player who works off a retreating defence . With him on the left with tahu and burt and hayne on the right with inu and grothe i think we have our best chances BUT thats if our forwards can go forward thats pretty much our whole problem right now if they were going forward both he and hayne would be playing much better i think . Come on fans i personally still believe we are a massive threat this year but we r running out of time . Fingers crossed we click and make the season a success like it deserves for caylo ...

bartman

Immortal
We have too many players imo that can only show their talent if the forwards go forward... we actually need less players standing back and waiting and more forwards to go forward, to get a balance in the squad and to see the best that our players have to offer.

We had Shackleton in the coach's plans, but injury put paid to that. So people have to dig a bit deeper. Mateo is one of those who needs to dig a bit deeper. In Shack's absence, he's got the frame for helping with the forward's work and it seems the coach has asked him to do that in the 13 so we can get a roll on, and less of the flashy stuff.

So far, our pack including Mateo have yet to get that roll on that let's us show our flashy stuff (except for that 20mins against Manly). First things first... our guys need to dig even deeper to lay the platform before we worry about shifting attacking deckchairs around on the titanic.

Mateo has a job to do in the 13. He's getting closer judging by last night, but he (and others) are yet to do what seems to be being asked imo.

Djay

Juniors
Absolute bunch of immature idiots on these forums. I state my opinion and get shut down.

Aren't forums a place where you can have your say? This place isn't very welcoming and unless you agree with the know it all's there's no point posting.

bartman

Immortal
Absolute bunch of immature idiots on these forums. I state my opinion and get shut down.

Aren't forums a place where you can have your say? This place isn't very welcoming and unless you agree with the know it all's there's no point posting.
It's been that way for about a year and a half mate, don't let it get you down.

There will always be people who instead of posting a different opinion will just post a personal criticism and add nothing to discussion.

Sometimes you'll be in the company of the loudest voices, sometimes you'll be a lone voice. Don;t think of it as being shut down, just keep posting regardless.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
feleti isn't playing poorly, he's not the worst atm, he's actually averaging close to 100 metres a game. so for pure yardage, he's doing a decent job. it's just that we expect a lot out of him. the problem is that the yardage he is making is not resulting in fast play the balls, by the time he's wrapped up there's always at least 3 blokes on him. we need him on plays 4 and 5 not 2 and 3. he's being wasted in this manner

feleti should be coming off the bench and horo starting.

bartman

Immortal
the problem is that the yardage he is making is not resulting in fast play the balls, by the time he's wrapped up there's always at least 3 blokes on him. we need him on plays 4 and 5 not 2 and 3. he's being wasted in this manner
Yep. Hindy needs to do his straight up hit-ups only on play 2 or 3, and Feleti needs to get there for his on plays 4 or 5.

feleti should be coming off the bench and horo starting.
Yep.

caylo

Bench
Yep. Hindy needs to do his straight up hit-ups only on play 2 or 3, and Feleti needs to get there for his on plays 4 or 5.

Horo has played well but lets not get ahead of ourselves, his needs to get more involved but he is looking the goods atm.

Feletis problem isnt his go forward but his defence, he is woeful and also makes 1-2 dumb mistakes a game. Feleti has just stunted our attack this year and has no produce any second phase play, fo me he would be lucky to be on the bench and I would send him to wenty and replace him with Filinga/Lasalo on the bench and promote Poore to the starting side.

Djay

Juniors
It's been that way for about a year and a half mate, don't let it get you down.

There will always be people who instead of posting a different opinion will just post a personal criticism and add nothing to discussion.

Sometimes you'll be in the company of the loudest voices, sometimes you'll be a lone voice. Don;t think of it as being shut down, just keep posting regardless.

Will do. :)

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Wow, the anger in here just exploded. Incredible.

Look, I for one think Mateo has copped it a bit to harshly, but whats being said about him isnt wrong. He is being lazy and he is showing the wrong attitude.

But the coach is being equally stubborn.

Gus said last week that you set your team structure to create the opportunities for your star players to really shine. I dont think we are doing that for Mateo (nor any of our stars). I think we are expecting Mateo to turn into a SBW type player in the back row but he really is more like John Sutton. We have had him in the back row for long periods over the last 3 years and he hasnt taken to the position yet. Im willing to call it a failure.

So why not in a few weeks put him at five eight if Morts doesnt fire? Mateo closer to the edges where he can link with our backline better. He could do that now but its difficult when he is the 4th string play maker in the side.

:clap::clap: Well said Tezza. Totally agree with your excellent appraisal.

Team structure is an important facet. With Justin Horo on the rise maybe its time to put Mateo back at 5/8 and Horo at lock. Horo also has a good range of ball skills and has far more aggression than Mateo.

From 5/8 give Mateo more responsibility with team structure and build him up over the next ten to fifteen rounds into playing 80 minutes. Keep his head busy working with Hayne, Robson, Mortimer/K Keating, etc, coordinating deeper backline structured attacks with many angled & straight line runners, decoys and delayed straight/angled runners going either side with Hayne, Mateo, Tahu, Inu, etc.

I also like the idea of bringing in another forward on to the bench who offers lots of ferocity/sting (PASSION) and ball playing skills, starting off in ten to fifteen minute spells and build him up into a 60 minute performer later this year.. that player is Karl Filiga...

The Eels forward pack needs a serious hit-man, someone who truly scares the opposition and Filiga is that monster. If I was coach I would bring him into the 17 this week against the rabbits and test him, to see if he has it in him or not to legally harm the rabbits. If he explodes legally and goes ok, then keep him in the 17 to continue building up his performance.

From 5/8 Mateo, will thrive off the energy of a beast like Filiga and this passion will inspire our other sleeping giants to overcome the weekly year after year grind of NRL... as Fui, Poore, Cayless, Hindmarsh, etc, have been doing for many years now. A massive injection of hormones is what this team needs now Daniel Anderson. A major grease and oil change, cleaning out the turbo, cylinders, pistons, carburetors of this pack of forwards, getting this engine ready for the onslaught of winning this years NRL GF.

I also think it's time to give Nathan Hindmarsh a few breaks during the game so we can get more ferocity out of him in attack. We already know what he does with his 10/10 defence but after what we saw from Horo the other night, Justin can now learn to provide the cover defence while Nathan is having a break. We have lost cover defender Robson to hooker so Horo is now the man to fill in the breaches wide of the rucks.

If we get enough serious grunt up front for 80 minutes, then the pressure eases off on the 7, 6, 1, 9 to do their job. Mateo will shine from 5/8 and so will all the runners running off him in staggered lines or chasing through his kicks.

This Eels pack needs a Watmough, Creigh, Hoffman running destroyer and Filiga is that Man. We have lost Shack who I thought might evolve into such a runner and we also need 4 powerful rotating props to win this years GF so with Poore, Fui, Cayless, Mannah as those props a Filiga devastator is required as well. This leaves Robbo, Smith, Hindmarsh & Horo to fill in all the other forward requirements and with a big set of powerful mobile backs and few speedsters.... Hayne, KK, DM, Burt, etc, we can win this GF AND WE WILL... This 2010 GF will be a ferocious dog-fight.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade

State your case ---- ignore the distractions.

You will find life a lot more enjoyable and you also get to have your 15 minutes of fame included. Use your brain to engage this thorn bush and plan to come out the other side unscathed and happy.

The EELS to win the 2010 NRL GF.

tresurehunt

Juniors
here is my opinion about meteo at 5/8,
if you watch him play carefully he never plays before the line,he will always go to the line then try to offload ,thats why lock suits him better than 5/8,ive never seen him play a natural no.6 passing game before the line,like say,D lockyer fer eg.

yy_cheng

Coach
1. Hayne
2. Burt
3. Reddy/INU
4. Tahu
5. Grothe
6. Mateo
7. KK
8. Caylo
9. Robbo
10. Fui
11. Hindy
12. Smith
13. Poore

14. Mortz (quick dummy half hooker)
15. Mannah
16. Horo.
17. Hitman or Oake

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I'm not even gonna bother posting about this anymore you's all seem to know everything so I may aswell not bother.

Just to get things straight I'm not bandwagoner been looking at this site for years but never registered and posted. Now I am so don't call me a bandwagoner and I am a Parra fan, I don't need to prove anything to you people anyway I know I'm a Parra fan though thick and thin.

Welcome to the forum Djay. I wouldn't take anything said on here to heart. It's just for fun and in the end we all love the eels.

Do all schools go back next Monday?

I wonder how many of these are coming from the same ISP address? :lol:

I have my suspicions.:sarcasm:

lzd

Juniors
I really don't understand all this "Mateo has to play 5/8" hoo ha.

If Braith Anasta was moved to lock, would it make any difference to the role he played at the roosters? Would he play any better/worse?

Lock and 5/8 for a lot of teams are largely the same these days. no not exclusively but its probably fair to say a lot of teams use the 5/8 to duplicate a position, whether it be a fullback (i.e. lockyer) a halfback (i.e. benji marshall) or a lock forward. Does parra really need an extra backrower? No. Would Mateo play any better/worse if picked at 5/8? I don't think so.

I would much prefer to use the 5/8 position to give either Mortimer or Keating more room to operate before the line, rather than giving Mateo an extra 5m to run before hitting the line and looking for an offload!

CrazyEel

Bench
I would much prefer to use the 5/8 position to give either Mortimer or Keating more room to operate before the line, rather than giving Mateo an extra 5m to run before hitting the line and looking for an offload!
Agree, it's not really that difficult to see is it.

Latest posts