What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mateo offloads to Mateo

boxhead

First Grade
Well, Mateo is still the best offloader/ball-player in the NRL at his best. His potential is unlimited.
However, he is also possibly the most inconsistent footballer in the NRL.
If you get the right coach for him, he will single-handedly win you a premiership, he is that good.
Moving him to the Warriors was a terrible idea....I doubt Cleary could get it out of him if Anderson couldn't.

Chipmunk

Coach
Well, Mateo is still the best offloader/ball-player in the NRL at his best. His potential is unlimited.
However, he is also possibly the most inconsistent footballer in the NRL.
If you get the right coach for him, he will single-handedly win you a premiership, he is that good.
Moving him to the Warriors was a terrible idea....I doubt Cleary could get it out of him if Anderson couldn't.

Mateo - The greatest enigma in the NRL today. I will miss Mateo, I actually think we will miss him more than we knew, especially if we fail to sign a top half

Djay

Juniors
He copped alot of crap on these forums deservingly as he was so inconsistent and lazy most of time.

But those little flashes of brilliance we saw from him one us games single handedly and he proved he is easily one of the most damaging ball runners.

I think next year we will miss so much, we don't think it now but next year it will hit home. This year we had Mateo and Hayne creating things, next year we will only have Hayne.

mrpwnd

Bench
He copped alot of crap on these forums deservingly as he was so inconsistent and lazy most of time.

But those little flashes of brilliance we saw from him one us games single handedly and he proved he is easily one of the most damaging ball runners.

I think next year we will miss so much, we don't think it now but next year it will hit home. This year we had Mateo and Hayne creating things, next year we will only have Hayne.
Hey now, based on boxheads on suppositions, Mortimer should step up next year and lead Parramatta to the most dominant GF display in the history of footy.

p.s i'm not holding my breath on that.

Parra Guru

Coach
Champion??? Please. That's his biggest problem - he already thinks he is one.

Champions don't take the p!ss all season out of the supporters and a departing captain, and them come out and have 2 good games to 'stick it to the club'.

Don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out....

strider

Post Whore
I don't get this thread... he is one of our champion players, with Inu, and we'll miss them both immensely next year. Yeah they do stupid sh*t at crucial times, yet they can also win you an impossible game... they create magic out of nothing, think back to the game Parra V Brisbane, don't remember if it was 08 or 09, it was the Mateo/Inu combo that got us into that game from nowhere in the last 10 minutes (before we succumbed to Lockyer class...), thats the kind of thing that we will really miss, now all we've got is Hayne (as others have mentioned.)

while I don't know if i'd go with the word "champion", I agree we will miss mateo massively next year - and as of right now we've got next to sweet FA in terms of creativity in attack .... and I reckon mateo will be great at the warriors next year and we'll have a million, omg how could we let him go, threads.

Hindy was on the footy show on sunday ... and Joey put the question to him, where will your creativity come from next year - and Hindy had absolutely no answer, just said, umm yeah I don't know, ummm tom humble is ok .... to me that says HEAPS - if our own leader has ZERO faith in what we've got, how the hell do we expect the team to believe they can do it

Eelementary

Post Whore
Would you guys say we've missed David Solomona? All this talk about offloads...Solo was a handy ball-runner but he was probably the best exponent of the offload I have personally ever seen. Mateo has more skill in that he can throw cut-out passes and whatnot, but Solomona's offloading ability was legendary IMO.

My point is this - sure, Fel is a good player and we will miss his good runs and skills. But nobody is irreplaceable - I mean hell, we never thought Hindy theoretically could be replaced and look at Ben Smith. He's already proven to be as vital as Hindy to our side.

Lee Ta Mari, Pat O'Hanlon, Karl Filiga (if he stays or whatever)...All good, young back-rowers with skill. Filiga in particular has some tremendous ball-playing ability. I know he's struggled and I am by no means saying he should play First Grade. But rather, if the coach went up to him and said, "Karl, you have a full off-season to convince me you deserve a shot," and he trains the house down and plays well in the trials, well then we're better off...

A little bit of calm, please. I know we're scared because we're losing Inu, Mateo and Cayless (three of our best offloaders), but confidence in the coach would not go astray!

SDM

First Grade
I hope we really miss him and notice the difference. 90% completion rates will be a good start to missing Inu and Mateo.

sarahk

Juniors
Oh come on guys!

Im sure there will be many occasions next year where Mateo will offload the ball to us. At least that's something to look forward to!

oldmancraigy

Coach
while I don't know if i'd go with the word "champion", I agree we will miss mateo massively next year - and as of right now we've got next to sweet FA in terms of creativity in attack .... and I reckon mateo will be great at the warriors next year and we'll have a million, omg how could we let him go, threads.

Hindy was on the footy show on sunday ... and Joey put the question to him, where will your creativity come from next year - and Hindy had absolutely no answer, just said, umm yeah I don't know, ummm tom humble is ok .... to me that says HEAPS - if our own leader has ZERO faith in what we've got, how the hell do we expect the team to believe they can do it

Mate- it's worth remembering that Mateo was one of the 'key attacking weapons' in the team that has sweet FA in terms of creativity in attack.

Mateo has set up exactly 6 tries this season. That's in 20 games.
Mortimer has set up 6 tries this season. Also in 20 games.

Apparently Mortimer is crap and can't do squat (which is true this year) - but he still brings in as many tries as Mateo, who is a glittering gem in attack??

Last season Mateo set up 3 tries in 16 games. Mortimer had 7 in 18.

The player who brings more to the table in terms of tries scored is MORTIMER.

That's just how crap Mateo has been the last 2 years.

Don't get me wrong - back in 2008 I was arguing that Mateo was better value than SBW in terms of productivity for price. But the last 24 months have been bad for Feliti. He's made more than a mistake each game and been hesitant to 'impose himself' by running the ball.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Show us the stats for ball handles, line break assists and minutes played. Then those try assist stats will show a much more accurate story.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Show us the stats for ball handles, line break assists and minutes played. Then those try assist stats will show a much more accurate story.

No doubt Mortimer handled the ball a lot more. But Mateo doesn't offer too many more line break assists :(

In the end, it's TRIES we were struggling to score - to suggest losing Mateo is going to cripple us in that regard is a fallacy! He set up 9 tries in 2 years...

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Here. Relevant stats for 2010. Im not going to look at defencive things like tackles, missed tackles, etc etc.

Feleti Mateo

23 matches, 2 tries, 1311 minutes, 7 line breaks, 10 line break assists, 6 try assists, 67 offloads, 64 tackle breaks.

Averages per match. 57 minutes, 12.5 runs, 103 meters.

Daniel Mortimer

20 matches, 2 tries, 1569 minutes, 3 line breaks, 3 line break assists, 6 try assists, 12 offloads, 22 tackle breaks

Average per match. 78.4 minutes, 7.1 runs, 41.2 meters.

Now, remember, one of them is a half, the other is a lock forward. Line break assists and try assists should be a highlight for a half. When a LOCK FORWARD who plays an average of 21 minutes less then a half, and still has the same try assists and more then triple line break assists, its appears obvious to me, that the lock forward should be getting more of the ball.

Im of the philosophy that you give your best ball players the most ball, Mateo is the superior ball player but he has errors in his game.

For those interested, errors, Mateo 26, Mortimer 29.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Here. Relevant stats for 2010. Im not going to look at defencive things like tackles, missed tackles, etc etc.

Feleti Mateo

23 matches, 2 tries, 1311 minutes, 7 line breaks, 10 line break assists, 6 try assists, 67 offloads, 64 tackle breaks.

Averages per match. 57 minutes, 12.5 runs, 103 meters.

Daniel Mortimer

20 matches, 2 tries, 1569 minutes, 3 line breaks, 3 line break assists, 6 try assists, 12 offloads, 22 tackle breaks

Average per match. 78.4 minutes, 7.1 runs, 41.2 meters.

Now, remember, one of them is a half, the other is a lock forward. Line break assists and try assists should be a highlight for a half. When a LOCK FORWARD who plays an average of 21 minutes less then a half, and still has the same try assists and more then triple line break assists, its appears obvious to me, that the lock forward should be getting more of the ball.

Im of the philosophy that you give your best ball players the most ball, Mateo is the superior ball player but he has errors in his game.

For those interested, errors, Mateo 26, Mortimer 29.

I don't get it Tezza?

Are you saying that Mateo is an awesome creative player?

Because the numbers you're showing prove him to be slightly less useless than Mortimer.

Mateo has had plenty of ball this season - against Souths he handled 29 times (Mortimer 26). Not as much as Mortimer normally, but well and truly enough to do more than he has (over the past 2 seasons)

If you think that him being slightly less crap than Mortimer is reason to really miss him and argue that we should have paid $400k - well, well, well :crazy:

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I don't get it Tezza?

Are you saying that Mateo is an awesome creative player?

Because the numbers you're showing prove him to be slightly less useless than Mortimer.

Mateo has had plenty of ball this season - against Souths he handled 29 times (Mortimer 26). Not as much as Mortimer normally, but well and truly enough to do more than he has (over the past 2 seasons)

If you think that him being slightly less crap than Mortimer is reason to really miss him and argue that we should have paid $400k - well, well, well :crazy:

Lol, "awesome", adjectives are fun, especially when they're put in my mouth.

Im saying Mateo creates more then Mortimer, IMO, logic dictates that he should get/should of got the ball more often.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Lol, "awesome", adjectives are fun, especially when they're put in my mouth.

Im saying Mateo creates more then Mortimer, IMO, logic dictates that he should get/should of got the ball more often.

If we followed the logic we'd only ever see Hayne passing to himself!

We just need someone else who can create and direct. Mateo is not that person.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
If we followed the logic we'd only ever see Hayne passing to himself!

We just need someone else who can create and direct. Mateo is not that person.

Yes, we need and needed this special someone to direct and create. We dont seem to have one of those people so we are left with choosing the best of what we have and that is??

Latest posts