What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mateo

strider

Post Whore
it was the dumbest pass of the season - nothing was on, we were out numbered 4-2 and it was a 40 tacle into the game Hindy he was trying to slip a miracle ball to 20m from our own line when we just needed to get the f'n thing down the other end ... a deadset shocker!

but we certainly do need him in the 17 .... hopefully it'll be a lesson learnt for feleti about ball control winning matches

based in the logic of hooking players for making mistakes ...

... hook every player once they make a mistake?

...fools

That was one pretty freaking big mistake, and dealt with correctly.

Every player in the NRL should know the tactics of protecting a lead with 10 to go in a tightly played contest - particularly in your own 20 metre zone.

I can't imagine any other player who would have tried what Mateo did.

Having said that, it didn't thankfully cost us the game - imagine the Mateo "hate threads" on here if it had.

Anderson's actions will be a good lesson for him, and I have no doubt he will be a better player for it.

Bigfella

Coach
The flip side of the error was that a couple of sets earlier, when we were under massive pressure, Mateo took us wide with a great play that resulted in big metres in counterattack. That mentality , combined with the great metre running of the last 50 minutes, was a big part of us getting the win.

Mateo is a MUST for the finals. He demands heavy attention and is a huge part in us presenting a threat to the opposition.

The great thing about DA is he recognised, even with a decent lead, you still need to keep playing footy at sides.

The right call to bring him off yesterday, because it was poor judgment. It was too risky at the time and could have been costly.

Mateo has been great in his limited time and will play more time in other matches.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think DA was just trying to give him a message, you need to know when to throw the speculators and when not to.

That close to your line was not the time for a risky offload.

Mateo will learn from that and become a better player for it.

forward pass

Coach
Mateo is a freak and he could provide us with a real x factor in coming weeks. He makes us so much more dangerous as he attracts defenders.

But the pass yesterday was dumb and he has learnt his lesson I am sure.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
Mateo's not match fit enough to get off our bench this season imo. It's working as it is anyway, and DAs doing a good job of keeping the successful structure in attack we had prior to Mateo's return. Feleti has to fit into that, not change it himself.
Very smart post..

lingard

Coach
I don't think Anderson pulled Mateo off just to .....no, hang on; I'll start again. I don't think Anderson replaced Mateo just to teach him a lesson - although that would have been part of it. I think he was probably worried that Mateo would keep throwing passes like that, and that it might cost us the game. Mateo has to learn. He's always been talented, but he's always been erratic too. I was worried when people were calling for his immediate return to first grade. Anderson will teach him throughout the course of next year, but he remains a gamble for the remainder of this year.

yy_cheng

Coach
I don't think Anderson pulled Mateo off just to .....no, hang on; I'll start again. I don't think Anderson replaced Mateo just to teach him a lesson - although that would have been part of it. I think he was probably worried that Mateo would keep throwing passes like that, and that it might cost us the game. Mateo has to learn. He's always been talented, but he's always been erratic too. I was worried when people were calling for his immediate return to first grade. Anderson will teach him throughout the course of next year, but he remains a gamble for the remainder of this year.

I agree with the reason why DA pulled him off but he is a needed RISK.

Ando at least gets to control when and how long he plays for.

If the scoreline was opposite, and we needed to play catch up, then Feleti is the man you want.

If we were playing catchup and had Brod, we probably would've died like the drags.

Feleti is the joker you need up your sleeves just for some change in the tempo of the game.

I wonder, if eric had not taken the intercept, that this thread would have been re-named Grothe?

Mateo made a decision, and if it had of come off, we wouldnt be here talking about it. Eric made a decision, and it won us the game. Both risky decision's, but, still, could be the difference between winnig & losing.

I think back-chatting the ref and giving away 20 metres is a bigger mistake than trying to get a pass away. I didnt see any of those players get hooked?

yy_cheng

Coach
NSE,

That was DA's tactic that defense move so if it failed, the blame should be put on DA. Grothe was in the place he was told to be.

NSE,

That was DA's tactic that defense move so if it failed, the blame should be put on DA. Grothe was in the place he was told to be.
I dont disagree with you. Im just saying, if he hadnt of taken the intercept, this thread would have a different name, because people always point the finger at the player. For all we know, Feleti was doing as he has been coached to do. Nobody coaches for players to backchat referee's.
A lesson I was taught from U'6s, play to the whistle and dont question the ref, as much as you want to flatten that biatch! :lol:

mickdo

Coach
From the way Reddy and the rest of the defensive line were sliding across in cover, Grothe's tactic to go for the intercept was planned

forward pass

Coach
From the way Reddy and the rest of the defensive line were sliding across in cover, Grothe's tactic to go for the intercept was planned

Ando and Grothe were shown in discussion at halftime and I would be bloody interested to know if that was what it was about.

yy_cheng

Coach
I dont disagree with you. Im just saying, if he hadnt of taken the intercept, this thread would have a different name, because people always point the finger at the player. For all we know, Feleti was doing as he has been coached to do. Nobody coaches for players to backchat referee's.
A lesson I was taught from U'6s, play to the whistle and dont question the ref, as much as you want to flatten that biatch! :lol:

BUt some of it wasn't backchatting.

I believe one was WHY and another was bullsh*t!!

BUt some of it wasn't backchatting.

I believe one was WHY and another was bullsh*t!!
If thats not back chat, then what is?

Reddy and Hayne were complaining that it was stripped, the ref says move away, the complaint continues, marched 10metres, then the mention of "thats bullsh*t" another 10 metres.

One thing I will say, is that Caylo was never given the opportunity to discuss with the ref, however, I think that moment had passed, since Reddy & Hayne had already questioned the decision in no uncertain terms, and the ref was not going to listen to anything else.

From what I saw on the replay, I think the ref may have actually called that one correctly, unlike some of his other decisions.

Remember, I think Cecchin had been questioned by a lot of the boys previously for strip (maybe on KK?). Just think they need to know when to stop.

carpe

Juniors
I think that pass from Mateo was sign of inexperience. Fui made the same error against Sharks and he was "reprimanded" by DA. I think I am happy with DA. He is strong and work oriented and won't take sh*T for answer. I am happy to see Mateo was hooked. Mateo will learn.

Stagger eel

Staff member
based in the logic of hooking players for making mistakes ...

... hook every player once they make a mistake?

...fools

coach's have been hooking players since 1908 and because it happened to a friend of yours you now think it's dumb?..it was not only a bad mistake but a bad error of judgment at a crucial moment, any coach would of hooked him.

looking forward to you coming back and defending other players who get hooked..

CrazyEel

Bench
coach's have been hooking players since 1908 and because it happened to a friend of yours you now think it's dumb?..it was not only a bad mistake but a bad error of judgment at a crucial moment, any coach would of hooked him.

looking forward to you coming back and defending other players who get hooked..
And I was VERY happy he did hook him, could say more but won't :x

Latest posts