What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Bowen is underrated

shaggy

Juniors
eels_fan_01 said:
Trys scored?

im talking about his defense, thats why i highlited, his defense, and remember mini was playing behind the old roosters under anderson

Shorty

Staff member
shaggy said:
matty bowen is over rated, he goes alright in club footy playing against on a whole average opposition but when it comes to soo he gets found out where its the best of the best that australia has to offer, he is also a poor defender

anyone would have been able to cach noddys intercept,

the only comparison between bowen & messanger is their height
Here it is Shaggy,saying he is a poor defender.
So I guess Hunt/Minichiello are both poor defenders as well,wow fancy that they're both International fullbacks.

You have no idea.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Bowen sh*ts on cutie from a great height, and that's not coming from a cowboys supporter.

Manly fLIP

Juniors
In years passed when you break the Cowboys line you were in.

Now, when your team busts through, no matter who its is your hoping that the bloke runs away form where Bowen is.

His fullback defense this season is second to none.

I wish B Stewart could tackle like him.

beave

Coach
I think the difference with the Mango this year has been that they have worked on his strength in the off season, here's a photo that shows just how strong the little bloke is.

http://www.cameronlaird.com/gallery/2572467#135439066

He has been the stand out fullback of the year and yes I am a cowboys fan, but his attack has been lethal and he has stopped at least 10-15 maybe even more tries just through his sheer brilliance in defence, people saying his defence has been poor this year have obviously not watched many cows games this year........

Shorty

Staff member
beave said:
I think the difference with the Mango this year has been that they have worked on his strength in the off season, here's a photo that shows just how strong the little bloke is.

http://www.cameronlaird.com/gallery/2572467#135439066

He has been the stand out fullback of the year and yes I am a cowboys fan, but his attack has been lethal and he has stopped at least 10-15 maybe even more tries just through his sheer brilliance in defence, people saying his defence has been poor this year have obviously not watched many cows games this year........
As a PT...I have a few things to say about Mr Smith,but I won't as it's off topic;-)
I'll agree that Hunt is the Australian fullback,he hasn't done anything wrong to lose the spot and his courage is second to none.
However I'll draw the line at people saying Bowen is a bad defender,for his size and height and I'm going to assume weight he's outstanding.
It's one thing to catch someone,but to take someone much heavier at top speed is another.
Credit where credit is due.

bula_stormer

Juniors
I think his size counts against him but i dont think he's underrated, probably underachieved. Theres no better attacking player in the world in both rugby codes.

worldchampion

Juniors
Another Matt Bowen thread because the Guys is a genious and does something amazing week in and week out.

The simple fact is that in the eyes of the selectors he is totally underrated but in the eyes of fans and media he is genious.. and I specifically in the opinions of Matthew Johns and Rabbits Warren.. IMO they are usually spot on.. especially rabbits

I dont know if anyone was paying attention but did you guys happen to see the tackle he pulled off on Gasnier.. one of the "finest" centers in the Game i think it.. anyone knows where I can get video footage of it?.. that acceleration is almost beyond beleif.. all those who have something to say about his defence just watch it thn watch it again.

he is the only reason the cows arent coming 10th or worse. he hasnt had time to make the QLD fullback his..freaks like him run on confidence, and comfort.. like that with his cowboys teamates

he isnt the best fullback in the NRL, he is the best fullback ever to lace boots.

And I've been a bulldogs supporter all my life

Charlie124

First Grade
worldchampion said:
Another Matt Bowen thread because the Guys is a genious and does something amazing week in and week out.

The simple fact is that in the eyes of the selectors he is totally underrated but in the eyes of fans and media he is genious.. and I specifically in the opinions of Matthew Johns and Rabbits Warren.. IMO they are usually spot on.. especially rabbits

I dont know if anyone was paying attention but did you guys happen to see the tackle he pulled off on Gasnier.. one of the "finest" centers in the Game i think it.. anyone knows where I can get video footage of it?.. that acceleration is almost beyond beleif.. all those who have something to say about his defence just watch it thn watch it again.

he is the only reason the cows arent coming 10th or worse. he hasnt had time to make the QLD fullback his..freaks like him run on confidence, and comfort.. like that with his cowboys teamates

he isnt the best fullback in the NRL, he is the best fullback ever to lace boots.

And I've been a bulldogs supporter all my life

I agree with all of that post except the highlighted part, thats a little over the top. He's clearly the best FB in the comp but best ever? i dont think so.

lockyno1

Post Whore
worldchampion said:
he is the only reason the cows arent coming 10th or worse.

Right so when the Cowboys got lapped by the Roosters under Anderson FFS and Bowen was there..what happened! Thurston carries the Cowboys, not Bowen.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Charlie124 said:
I agree with all of that post except the highlighted part, thats a little over the top. He's clearly the best FB in the comp but best ever? i dont think so.

Wouldn't even be in the top 30, and that is generous.

Charlie124

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
Right so when the Cowboys got lapped by the Roosters under Anderson FFS and Bowen was there..what happened! Thurston carries the Cowboys, not Bowen.

All of our origin players were out, not just Thurston, also our coach, also several forwards and even a few regular backs through injury. While Thurston is a very big part of our team, he doesnt carry us. Its not a co-incidence that everytime Thurston is out, so are a number of others, its called STATE OF ORIGINm thankfully next year we will have our coach back and hopefully a good half to take over. A halves pairing of Jason and Justin Smith is never going to win you games.

Shorty

Staff member
lockyno1 said:
Now it's time to tell you to start watching some football games.
I'm sure Hunt has done absolutely amazing without Lockyer.

And if you had watched the Roosters game,which indicates you did not you would realise that Bowen was the sole reason we didn't get whipped completely,as in scoring little to no points.

Bowen is a fullback,not a 6/7/9,again if you had any sort of brains you'd have watched Cows games before opening your mouth.
He rarely if ever organises and likes to do his own thing.

I don't know why I'm even bothering with your post considering you seem to think a fullback is the sole organiser of a team.

Pull your head out of you a** and show some recognition.

worldchampion

Juniors
Charlie124 said:

I can understand your point of view, as a cowboys support u have the right do be moderate, in order to display objectivity .. its just that he does this freakish stuff nearly every week.. he is scoring almost every week.. pulling amazing last ditch tackles every week.. there is daylight between him and the next on the list of line breaks.. if you add up the stats when he retires.. he will be close real close.. and he kick as$ on the playstation 2

Latest posts