What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Bowen is underrated

CJG 182

Juniors
He is underrated because.. 1) while people admit he is good... they dont admit he is the best fullback in the game when he is far and away the worlds best full back.

He has hardly been given a fair go at origin.. and when he has had a shot he has starred.. 2) who else could intercept that brett kimmorley pass to win the series for QLD...

2)... I'd wager some one like Phil Graham, in the same position could pull off the same thing. Congratulations Canberra, that must make you the proud owners of the best Centre in the game...

gurl_child

Juniors
He's as good as he honestly thinks he is. Does it really matter what anyone else rates him as? To me he looks like a real achiever.

Charlie124

First Grade
effnic said:
Bowen would have to be up there as the worst defensive fullback in the game.

2 years ago i would have agreed partly with that. But you really need to watch a game from this year, he has been standout in defence all year

fourplay said:
He is underrated because.. while people admit he is good... they dont admit he is the best fullback in the game when he is far and away the worlds best full back.

He has hardly been given a fair go at origin.. and when he has had a shot he has starred.. who else could intercept that brett kimmorley pass to win the series for QLD...

They lost that series:lol:

Eelementary

Post Whore
fourplay said:
He makes about 5 clean line breaks a game, scores tries all over the field and sets them up... He saves tries and is one of the best defensive full backs in the game. See how he played Colin Best a couple weeks ago ?

Yet people still say players like Stewart/McKinnon are better than him ? I think the only way people can say that is if they don't watch many cowboys games.. because no fullback has come close to him this year.

If he is not the Australian fullback then they obviously not even considering form. He deserves the title of the worlds best full back... there is not a player who has even come close to his form at club level this year.

If you're talking truly under-rated players, then look no further than Wade McKinnon - at least Bowen has played rep footy. Wade bloody deserves to. Sensational player.

shaggy

Juniors
matty bowen is over rated, he goes alright in club footy playing against on a whole average opposition but when it comes to soo he gets found out where its the best of the best that australia has to offer, he is also a poor defender

anyone would have been able to cach noddys intercept,

the only comparison between bowen & messanger is their height

perverse

Referee
my mum could have intercepted that kimmorley pass. it was flatter than an anorexic supermodel.

as for bowen in general though - he's a freak. great to watch... and it does somewhat puzzle me that he gets shunned at origin time. having said that he's hardly under-rated... stupid thread.

Shorty

Staff member
shaggy said:
matty bowen is over rated, he goes alright in club footy playing against on a whole average opposition but when it comes to soo he gets found out where its the best of the best that australia has to offer, he is also a poor defender

Again,I repeat.
Actually watch some Cowboys games before making comments you have absolutely no merit in.

:lol::lol:

shaggy said:

Be honest,Have you actually watched him play this yr..It was reported on the footy show Sunday that he has made more try saving tackles this yr than any other FB in the comp.
Try finding out some facts before you talk out your arse.

lockyno1

Post Whore
He is a reasonable defender AT CLUB LEVEL..at rep level that defence is non-existant. There lies the problem..we are picking rep sides!

fourplay

Juniors
I think all the people who say he is overrated have not actually watched many cowboys games this year.

Why would he be a worse defender at rep level ? non-existant defence? wtf? He has hardly been given a fair go at rep level and he has always performed strongly with the exception of maybe one game. "At club level" he is one of the best defensive fullbacks in the NRL atleast...

shaggy

Juniors
i actually do know what im talking about

matt bowen so far in 2007 has averaged 2.1 missed takcles a game which is level with karmichael hunt and anthony minichello

billy slater and wade mckinnon average 1.6

brett stewart averages 1

matt bowen has missed aobut 20 more taclkes than the next fullback listed in this group

eels_fan_01

Bench
shaggy said:
i actually do know what im talking about

matt bowen so far in 2007 has averaged 2.1 missed takcles a game which is level with karmichael hunt and anthony minichello

billy slater and wade mckinnon average 1.6

brett stewart averages 1

matt bowen has missed aobut 20 more taclkes than the next fullback listed in this group

Trys scored?

lockyno1

Post Whore
fourplay said:
He has hardly been given a fair go at rep level and he has always performed strongly with the exception of maybe one game. "At club level" he is one of the best defensive fullbacks in the NRL atleast...

He has been given enough chances at Origin and has been poor in defence. As for him being one of the better defensive fullbacks, depends on your definition. I would take Minichello and MacKinnon easily ahead of him though. He'd be in the next bunch.

Latest posts