What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Just because he hasn't player at lock, doesn't mean he 'doesn't have the skill set to play there- Bennett was probably the first coach to pick him at full back- and in an international- yet he made a good fist of it. He's an exceptionally talented and versatile player but I regard vision and passing skills as two of the chief skills of a playmaker and I think he panics and often lets himself down in those areas

Those who adjudicate the Dally M Medal disagree with you.

@Old Timer , where are the Bears to give us another Tony Hearn :) :)

Remember back to 88 I think it was when we raided the Brisbane local comp and signed Clinton Mohr, Peter Gill, Trevor Bailey, Steve Carter and Gavin Allen.
Steve Carter didn't play at all and Gavin Allen was injured and we got zero value from both.
A few years later Gavin Allen is playing Origin with the Donkeys.
Agree re Jason Alchin although our other major signing that year was Snoopy Collins and he was great. From memory got them both in the Draft.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Remember back to 88 I think it was when we raided the Brisbane local comp and signed Clinton Mohr, Peter Gill, Trevor Bailey, Steve Carter and Gavin Allen.
Steve Carter didn't play at all and Gavin Allen was injured and we got zero value from both.
Agree re Jason Alchin although our other major signing that year was Snoopy Collins and he was great. From memory got them both in the Draft.
Also got Mark Coyne,we raided Brisbane Brothers, Gavin Jones was one that we should have got with that lot he ended up at Norths...

TruSaint

Referee

Bringing back some memories there champ.

And some names i forgot. Agree re Collins, was a great pick up for us.

Old Timer

Coach
For all the talk about Dufty being on the outer and shopped around he is front and centre of the preseason training photo on the club’s website.
Not quite sure the club would do that if he was not going to be a part of the team for 2019
Field is also in the photo and for those talking about how he is bigger etc you need to give yourselves an uppercut as they are both paperweights.

dragon thomo

Juniors
Field Dufty and Aitken need to let go. The first two can’t tackle and only get ragged dolled when they get caught with the ball. Where Aitken does not seem to be able to read defence and he also has trouble setting up his winger.

Eastview

Juniors
For all the talk about Dufty being on the outer and shopped around he is front and centre of the preseason training photo on the club’s website.
Not quite sure the club would do that if he was not going to be a part of the team for 2019
Field is also in the photo and for those talking about how he is bigger etc you need to give yourselves an uppercut as they are both paperweights.
He's probably the most recognised player training at the moment so of course they will use a picture of him... It doesn't mean anything re who will be used in 2019...get a grip

Bench
Field Dufty and Aitken need to let go. The first two can’t tackle and only get ragged dolled when they get caught with the ball. Where Aitken does not seem to be able to read defence and he also has trouble setting up his winger.
I have been watching a lot of utube to get my dragons fix. I noticed in the early rounds how good Aitken was playing, but I feel that at the back end of the season he is not the same player. Lafai was the same.
I don’t know whether Lomax will start in the centers, which I think he should with Lafai, McGregor will probable start the season with Aitken and Lafai.

possm

Coach
I have been watching a lot of utube to get my dragons fix. I noticed in the early rounds how good Aitken was playing, but I feel that at the back end of the season he is not the same player. Lafai was the same.
I don’t know whether Lomax will start in the centers, which I think he should with Lafai, McGregor will probable start the season with Aitken and Lafai.

Like our halves, our outside backs can perform when our forwards are dominating. Whe they dominate, plenty of opportunities are presented and the workload in defence is diminished.

True_Believer

Juniors
Just because he hasn't player at lock, doesn't mean he 'doesn't have the skill set to play there- Bennett was probably the first coach to pick him at full back- and in an international- yet he made a good fist of it. He's an exceptionally talented and versatile player but I regard vision and passing skills as two of the chief skills of a playmaker and I think he panics and often lets himself down in those areas

2010 round 12 - played fullback for the Storm
2010 - England - played fullback
2011-13 - Melbourne Storm - played at fullback at various times throughout this period. He also played at 5/8 for the Storm towards the latter end of this contract.

His positions are listed as Fullback and 5/8 - although he has played at centre as well. Bennett wasn't the pioneer here, he grew up playing in these positions.

watatank

Coach
2010 round 12 - played fullback for the Storm
2010 - England - played fullback
2011-13 - Melbourne Storm - played at fullback at various times throughout this period. He also played at 5/8 for the Storm towards the latter end of this contract.

His positions are listed as Fullback and 5/8 - although he has played at centre as well. Bennett wasn't the pioneer here, he grew up playing in these positions.

Plus he was fullback in the u20s storm team that won the premiership. Obviously couldn't play fullback with Slater there so played 6

slippery5

Juniors
In my opinion, Dufty is not the real deal at fullback right now and it does not seem that he can be placed in another position as well. That being the case he really needs to go back to ISP and train to rectify his problems and then return to first grade when he has sorted things out.

In the meantime, Hayne is our best option for 2019. If he gets injured, Dufty would be Hayne's logical replacement and hopefully rectified some of his major problems.

Just noticed that my post total has hit all the 7s
Reviewing the season, I agree, if Hayne is not being pursued for FB I would play him in the centres & get rid of Lafai & Aitken & give Field a shot at FB with Dufty to put pressure on him if he performs in ISP. But I believe the plan is to play Hayne at FB. I think McGregor had lost all confidence in Dufty when he was dropped to the bench.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
Reviewing the season, I agree, if Hayne is not being pursued for FB I would play him in the centres & get rid of Lafai & Aitken & give Field a shot at FB with Dufty to put pressure on him if he performs in ISP. But I believe the plan is to play Hayne at FB. I think McGregor had lost all confidence in Dufty when he was dropped to the bench.
Just like we've lost all confidence in mcgregor

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Hayne decision on whether to leave Parramatta for the Red V
Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago

Subscriber only
Decision day is fast approaching for Jarryd Hayne with St George Illawarra returning to full pre-season training on Monday.

One way or another, the Dragons would like to know at some stage next week if the two-time Dally M Medal winner wants in with them for 2019.

The Dragons are adamant they are not attempting to push young fullback Matt Dufty out of the club to sign Hayne.

c86a3a2a2b4815cf31d208548fd1ebb2

Will Hayne quit the Eels a second time? (Matt King/Getty Images)
Rather, the Dragons’ interest was sparked as a direct result of utility back Kurt Mann’s request for a release.

Mann has an option to link with Newcastle where he believes he has a better chance of nailing down a starting spot and the Dragons are open to the move providing they can find a suitable player to fill the spot available on their roster.

3965e70c83c02c7f1b84e436e3a5ee96

Kurt Mann could be on his way to Newcastle. (AAP Image/Craig Golding)
And they make no secret of the fact Hayne could be that man.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that both head coach Paul McGregor and recruitment boss Ian Millward have both spoken with Hayne about the possibility and have been hugely impressed with Hayne’s attitude and football intelligence.

The decision Hayne now has to make is if he wants to stick it out and see if Parramatta can come up with the money to make him a serious offer, or join the Dragons where he will be a part of a squad that is a legitimate premiership threat.

While Hayne has achieved pretty much every individual goal on offer in the game, they one thing he has never done is win an NRL title and the reality is time is running out for him to do that.

he Dragons want to put give Dufty some serious competition. (Ian Hitchcock/Getty Images)
The Dragons are prepared to be patient but they would still like to know sooner rather than later so they can also give Mann clarity about his future, given Mann’s release hinges on the club finding a suitable replacement.

It’s no secret Hayne’s first priority is to stay at Parramatta but as it stands the Eels just don’t have the money in their salary cap to make Hayne a genuine offer.

It has been reported Hayne is chasing a deal worth about $700,000 a season but unless Parramatta can offload a top shelf player they just can’t fit him in.

Eels turn on each other
Adding to the Eels’ dilemma, the chances of offloading Michael Jennings to Newcastle now appear less likely following Hymel Hunt’s decision to move to the Knights.

While the Dragons are somewhat short of the money Hayne is chasing, they are a lot closer to the ballpark and they are also open to making the deal longer than just the one year.

Understandably, speculation about Hayne’s possible link with the Dragons has caused Dufty some anxious moments but the club do not want to push the 22-year-old out to make way Hayne.

1a7e35d3e6a282ac1883682487859d45

The Dragons need to cover the loss of Nene MacDonald. (AAP Image/Dave Hunt)
There were some questions raised about Dufty late in the season but the way he bounced back to form against Newcastle in the final round earned plenty of praise from within.

No doubt if Hayne does go to the Dragons it will put added pressure on Dufty to keep hold of the No 1 jumper but ultimately it will come down to who plays the best football next year.

Hayne would also be ideal playing wing or centre and given the Dragons have lost both Jason Nightingale (retirement) and Nene Macdonald (North Queensland) Hayne would be the perfect fit.

As good as Hayne would be for the Dragons, they also believe the culture within their playing group would have a positive impact on Hayne

BLM01

First Grade
Hayne decision on whether to leave Parramatta for the Red V
Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago

Subscriber only
Decision day is fast approaching for Jarryd Hayne with St George Illawarra returning to full pre-season training on Monday.

One way or another, the Dragons would like to know at some stage next week if the two-time Dally M Medal winner wants in with them for 2019.

The Dragons are adamant they are not attempting to push young fullback Matt Dufty out of the club to sign Hayne.

c86a3a2a2b4815cf31d208548fd1ebb2

Will Hayne quit the Eels a second time? (Matt King/Getty Images)
Rather, the Dragons’ interest was sparked as a direct result of utility back Kurt Mann’s request for a release.

Mann has an option to link with Newcastle where he believes he has a better chance of nailing down a starting spot and the Dragons are open to the move providing they can find a suitable player to fill the spot available on their roster.

3965e70c83c02c7f1b84e436e3a5ee96

Kurt Mann could be on his way to Newcastle. (AAP Image/Craig Golding)
And they make no secret of the fact Hayne could be that man.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that both head coach Paul McGregor and recruitment boss Ian Millward have both spoken with Hayne about the possibility and have been hugely impressed with Hayne’s attitude and football intelligence.

The decision Hayne now has to make is if he wants to stick it out and see if Parramatta can come up with the money to make him a serious offer, or join the Dragons where he will be a part of a squad that is a legitimate premiership threat.

While Hayne has achieved pretty much every individual goal on offer in the game, they one thing he has never done is win an NRL title and the reality is time is running out for him to do that.

he Dragons want to put give Dufty some serious competition. (Ian Hitchcock/Getty Images)
The Dragons are prepared to be patient but they would still like to know sooner rather than later so they can also give Mann clarity about his future, given Mann’s release hinges on the club finding a suitable replacement.

It’s no secret Hayne’s first priority is to stay at Parramatta but as it stands the Eels just don’t have the money in their salary cap to make Hayne a genuine offer.

It has been reported Hayne is chasing a deal worth about $700,000 a season but unless Parramatta can offload a top shelf player they just can’t fit him in.

Eels turn on each other
Adding to the Eels’ dilemma, the chances of offloading Michael Jennings to Newcastle now appear less likely following Hymel Hunt’s decision to move to the Knights.

While the Dragons are somewhat short of the money Hayne is chasing, they are a lot closer to the ballpark and they are also open to making the deal longer than just the one year.

Understandably, speculation about Hayne’s possible link with the Dragons has caused Dufty some anxious moments but the club do not want to push the 22-year-old out to make way Hayne.

1a7e35d3e6a282ac1883682487859d45

The Dragons need to cover the loss of Nene MacDonald. (AAP Image/Dave Hunt)
There were some questions raised about Dufty late in the season but the way he bounced back to form against Newcastle in the final round earned plenty of praise from within.

No doubt if Hayne does go to the Dragons it will put added pressure on Dufty to keep hold of the No 1 jumper but ultimately it will come down to who plays the best football next year.

Hayne would also be ideal playing wing or centre and given the Dragons have lost both Jason Nightingale (retirement) and Nene Macdonald (North Queensland) Hayne would be the perfect fit.

As good as Hayne would be for the Dragons, they also believe the culture within their playing group would have a positive impact on Hayne
Thx DT, for giving us fans news about what the club is thinking about our own players, some plans and their thoughts, as they are happy to tell you but not us.

Latest posts