What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

possm

Coach
And have a team of 5 players.

Not so, I'd have a professional first grade side with lots of GOOD young talent mixed with a few old cronies in ISP.

The problem with Ian Millward is that his old man never taught him how to fish. The only players he lands are the ones that hook themselves.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Not so, I'd have a professional first grade side with lots of GOOD young talent mixed with a few old cronies in ISP.

The problem with Ian Millward is that his old man never taught him how to fish. The only players he lands are the ones that hook themselves.

Possm
I like your post but this is bs 100%

getsmarty

Immortal
Dufty knows what is required to land new Dragons deal
Christian Nicolussi23 November 2018 — 3:42pm
Pint-sized St George Illawarra No.1 Matt Dufty was reminded by coach Paul McGregor this week he was safe for next year - but also knows what areas of his game he must immediately improve if he is to convince the club to stick with him for the long haul.

Dufty was forced to confront McGregor a few weeks ago when headlines emerged he was being shopped around and how the Dragons were in talks with possible fullback replacement Jarryd Hayne.

c204a37fc45875a32b99b67b3da0c6936a5d76ec

Under no illusions: Matt Dufty knows what he has to do to secure his future.Credit:AAP

The Dragons interest in Hayne later cooled, and before police charged him with aggravated sexual assault over an alleged incident on NRL grand final night.

Dufty, 22, said his relationship with McGregor could not be better and the pair had a good conversation on Monday.

"He told me, 'if you've ever got any concerns give me a call, I'll always be honest with you', which is what you want to hear from your head coach,'' Dufty told Fairfax Media. "I remember my mum called and was upset after [an article] about me being released, I called [assistant coach] Ben Hornby because we have a good relationship, he said not to listen to it, and when I saw Mary the next day he said, 'there's no way we're ever releasing you'.

"That's what I wanted to hear. Obviously the club was interested in Hayne because we we're still short a winger or outside back, and he would have been a great asset to the club.

"The club has some other on-going contract stuff they're figuring out at the moment, and I still have a deal for 2019, so there's still time to get something done. I just need to rip into the pre-season and do things right and prove I'm worth keeping around."

It's understood Dufty's management have made some discreet inquiries to rival clubs about 2020.

At just 82kg, Dufty's size has the potential to entice several clubs to pass, but it has never been an issue with McGregor.

"I played every game last year, Mary told me he was happy with my first full season, I had lot of good moments but a few bad moments," Dufty said.

"To reach my full potential he wants me to bring those two closer together.

"All the little things in effort areas like catching balls on the full and support play, that's what he wants.

"I'll never be biggest player or fullback in comp, but things I'm good at is attacking, he knows that and wants me to work on the other side of the game in defence and with the efforts."

Gareth Widdop did the job at fullback for England during the World Cup 12 months ago, and was an option for McGregor as Dufty started to feel the physical and mental pinch late in the season.

But Dufty isn't feeling pressure from the Englishman and says with another pre-season under their belts Ben Hunt and Widdop will "probably be the best halves in the comp".

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/du...to-land-new-dragons-deal-20181123-p50hun.html

Bench
Interesting to read on 5th tackle that his manager is seeking $950k per season. I don’t have any trust in these so called league sites but i thought it was weird that they mentioned that figure

Interesting to read on 5th tackle that his manager is seeking $950k per season. I don’t have any trust in these so called league sites but i thought it was weird that they mentioned that figure

Most likely to be BS

Mat Dufty knows he has lots of work to do before he is recognised as a first class fullback.

Most Managers do their best to pump the pricing of a player as high as they can.

If $950k is remotely accurate, Mat will find himself unemployed.

Can’t see any club paying that sort of money at this time.

BLM01

First Grade
I reckon Dufty is worth about 650K at this stage.
Nah not quite yet until proves himself backing up this year. Reportedly on $280K but sure will have to be upgraded as a 1st grade fullback but for me at this stage no more than double that. He has told the club he would play for the same money but of course his manager would not let him and advise him otherwise.
I am hoping he will give St George last right of offer for 2020 but I would wait to see how he performs before making that offer..say about 1/2 a season.?..but if he starts well we all know what is going to happen. Other clubs will be used through the media to be reportedly skyrocketing his asking price. Over to you..recruitment department

watatank

Coach

Lol, gotta aim high I guess. No way that's true but I can believe that dufty manager is going to try and inflate h is value

ALSGI

Bench
If Aitken and Lafai are on over 400k then Dufty’s current worth is higher and will sky rocket with some consistency and any improvement.

I’d be very surprised if other clubs haven’t got him on their radar now for 2020. I’d love to be his manager right now.

Old Timer

Coach
Time for Dufty to have a reality check & to ditch his manager as his career could end very quickly with the BS that wanker is carrying on with.
Yes he has potential but as much of that, that he has, he also has serious limitations that must improve and those improvements need to all be addressed and very quickly as any faltering under a high ball or dogging a front on tackle or running across the goal line not knowing where has to be to defend and then throwing his arms up as if it some one else's fault when the opposition crash over will quickly see him in Toronto with some old friends.

ALSGI

Bench
Time for Dufty to have a reality check & to ditch his manager as his career could end very quickly with the BS that wanker is carrying on with.
Yes he has potential but as much of that, that he has, he also has serious limitations that must improve and those improvements need to all be addressed and very quickly as any faltering under a high ball or dogging a front on tackle or running across the goal line not knowing where has to be to defend and then throwing his arms up as if it some one else's fault when the opposition crash over will quickly see him in Toronto with some old friends.

Why would he ditch a manager that’s trying to get him max dollars?

We all agree there is improvement needed in his game (including himself) but on current form alone there is no way he’ll end up in Toronto if we don’t extend and upgrade him.

On current form he’ll easily get another NRL club in 2020 on much more than he’s currently on if we don’t extend him.

hazzbeen

Bench
Next year will tell if he can go all the way .... If he improves and gains confidence in areas that need to be fixed , then yea he will get an upgraded contract .... He can sniff out a try and can back up a break , that is needed as our back line is not the greatest , so I think with the right coaching ( I did say right coaching ) and play to his strengths he will be fine ......

Latest posts