What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

Old Timer

Coach
Yeah, I didn’t actually say $650k at any time, so take a Bex mate, relax.

However my point is imo he’s worth risking more than the reported 400k + that we’re paying our current centres.

Everyone agrees there’s improvement needed in his game but for those that think we can just wait until mid next season to sign him for 2020 are kidding themselves. He’ll get better offers before then. His Manager is making it pretty clear now despite the ambit $950k bs.
IMO no one will sign him before at least 8 games next year as there is no pressure to do so after this years player movements.
Plenty can happen in 8 weeks to make him worth more or the bubble burst and worth SFA.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I would sign Dufty up to 2020. That way we would have another season to see if he is worth signing up long term.

Como Connection

First Grade
Yeah, I didn’t actually say $650k at any time, so take a Bex mate, relax.

However my point is imo he’s worth risking more than the reported 400k + that we’re paying our current centres.

Everyone agrees there’s improvement needed in his game but for those that think we can just wait until mid next season to sign him for 2020 are kidding themselves. He’ll get better offers before then. His Manager is making it pretty clear now despite the ambit $950k bs.
Does anyone know who is his Manager?
CC

denis preston

First Grade
We don't even know if dufty has a future with us at fullback. Why take a risk when he is already signed for 2019? I think there's more risk his value drops than rises
Agree, we all hope he improves but we also don't want him to be burden on our cap. The issue is that he has limitations and unless he fixes them all the NRL coaches will target him like sharks to a dead whale.This 600k talk is bullshit ( IMHO ) and if he shows improvement in these defence areas sign him at 450-500k by the middle of next season.He he doesn't like it , so be it.

Eastview

Juniors
What's a bet Dufty throws his toys out of the cot and requests a release.. his attitude problems are well known within the club so it wouldn't be surprising if he does.

BennyV

Referee
Lol@any thought of extending Dufty now, let alone upgrading him.

The NRL is absolutely flushed with high-quality, mostly young fullbacks. Dufty would be lucky to be considered Top 10. We also have Jai Field who is effectively a carbon copy, with the same limitations but better ball skills. Dufty needs is more than we need him right now.

And lol@anyone saying ‘he will improve’. This is far from a guarantee.

Remember when we said ‘Aitken’s defence will improve’?
‘Reins passing and decision making will improve’?
Could go on. Improvement requires hard work and coaching. Dufty is already missing the latter, so needs more of the former. Again, it’s not a guarantee.

possm

Coach
We don't even know if dufty has a future with us at fullback. Why take a risk when he is already signed for 2019? I think there's more risk his value drops than rises

If for some reason Dufty:
  • Does not improve in 2019
  • Wants too much money for 2020
  • Is chased by another Club with huge TPA
We could be looking for another fullback in 2020. So, then the question would be:
Do we promote from within with Field or Masters or even move Lomax to fullback or do we recruit a fullback from another Club or ESL?

I'd say that in 2020 and beyond, Norman will play in the five-eithth position along side Hunt.

possm

Coach
I would sign Dufty up to 2020. That way we would have another season to see if he is worth signing up long term.

If Dufty is not up to it in early 2019, I'm afraid that will be the end of his NRL career at SGI. We can't just keep throwing away competition points in the hope that a player will come up to standard at some time in the future; especially with Dufty's asking price for an extension.

By June 2019 decisions will have to be made and maybe Field or Masters need to be tested in first grade fullback position.

Last edited:

watatank

Coach
If for some reason Dufty:
  • Does not improve in 2019
  • Wants too much money for 2020
  • Is chased by another Club with huge TPA
We could be looking for another fullback in 2020. So, then the question would be:
Do we promote from within with Field or Masters or even move Lomax to fullback or do we recruit a fullback from another Club or ESL?

I'd say that in 2020 and beyond, Norman will play in the five-eithth position along side Hunt.

If Dufty is not the long term fullback we find someone else. Depends on who is available, the development of the players already here, what we are trying to achieve, etc.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Dufty is long term. If Norman comes it will not change anything. Norman is there for a halves spot and cover for Widdop when he leaves but they can get him earlier so why not. I bet if Norman does sign, Widdop will be released ahead of Dufty? Only because Widdop want's the release not Dufty and Norman is a straight swap for Widdop not Dufty. I like how the press likes to throw Dufty into the mix as if he is on the outer when he is not.

possm

Coach
Dufty is long term. If Norman comes it will not change anything. Norman is there for a halves spot and cover for Widdop when he leaves but they can get him earlier so why not. I bet if Norman does sign, Widdop will be released ahead of Dufty? Only because Widdop want's the release not Dufty and Norman is a straight swap for Widdop not Dufty. I like how the press likes to throw Dufty into the mix as if he is on the outer when he is not.

I'm sure that if he wants 700k - 900k as mentioned by his manager, he will be on the outer. This amount would not fit under our cap and is way above Dufty's market price. Even at 500k I feel we would have to let go Aitken or Lafai to fit him in.

ouryears

Bench
Lol@any thought of extending Dufty now, let alone upgrading him.

The NRL is absolutely flushed with high-quality, mostly young fullbacks. Dufty would be lucky to be considered Top 10. We also have Jai Field who is effectively a carbon copy, with the same limitations but better ball skills. Dufty needs is more than we need him right now.

And lol@anyone saying ‘he will improve’. This is far from a guarantee.

Remember when we said ‘Aitken’s defence will improve’?
‘Reins passing and decision making will improve’?
Could go on. Improvement requires hard work and coaching. Dufty is already missing the latter, so needs more of the former. Again, it’s not a guarantee.
One year in
Geeze
Considering the quite of few games he won for us that all the Mr Wonderfuls in Widdop, Hunt, Mcinness, Lafai, Mcdonald and Aitken had no clue how to win for us.....and in his first year, personally, I would save my doubt for all the blokes I mentioned, who in many games did f##k all.. while Dufty pulled several games out of the fire for us

Latest posts