What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

Crush

Coach
Lucky you're not in charge of recruitment, 650k is ridiculous... Not even worth half that atm
We got Duff cheap this year. Upgrade him to 650K next contract then the following contract 950K when he is the best fullback in the comp.
BTW, Possm is in charge of recruitment not me.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
$950k over 2yrs is probably closer to the mark.
Interesting tactic to start pushing now for a new contract, especially with the figures being bandied around. I doubt anyone would jump but its definitely the player manager laying the bait.

possm

Coach
I reckon Dufty is worth about 650K at this stage.
So, you are saying that Dufty is worth more than Dugan when he first arrived at the Dragons. Sorry mate, Dufty is a very good prospect but still has a long way to go before he is SOO material.

possm

Coach
Why would he ditch a manager that’s trying to get him max dollars?

We all agree there is improvement needed in his game (including himself) but on current form alone there is no way he’ll end up in Toronto if we don’t extend and upgrade him.

On current form he’ll easily get another NRL club in 2020 on much more than he’s currently on if we don’t extend him.

'On current form he’ll easily get another NRL club in 2020 on much more than he’s currently on if we don’t extend him'. I can agree with this statement but this is far away from the value his agent is putting on him right now.

Crush

Coach
So, you are saying that Dufty is worth more than Dugan when he first arrived at the Dragons. Sorry mate, Dufty is a very good prospect but still has a long way to go before he is SOO material.
Bigger salary cap now mate.
If Widdop and Hunt are on 900K plus each I'd say Dufty will be worth 650K providing he has a big year in 2019.

hazzbeen

Bench
If Widdop and Hunt are on 900K plus each I'd say Dufty will be worth 650K providing he has a big year in 2019.
This in a nutshell , IF he has a big year , said it in my post if he performs well next year ,( I think he will ) , then give him an upgrade .... For me his second year in top grade will tell us a lot about him as an under sized fullback ......

possm

Coach

Tedesco signed for 700k plus 3rd party. Norman is more versatile, can play 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 and 7. He is at SOO level already and will be handy if Dufty fails or if Widdop is injured.

TruSaint

Referee

Mate, granted the cap is bigger now, but the comparisons you make with Gaz and Ben Hunt dont stack up.

Both have years of first grade experience, as well as being internationals. Last thing "at this stage" Dufty should be concerned with now is $$$... rather he focus on making sure the number 1 jersey is his. WE all know he will be our starting fb, but he needs to improve in the various areas covered all over this forum, to consolidate it.

Im not sold yet, but I wish him well. If he performs the money will follow.

Having a bigger cap doenst imply we need to automatically upgrade players, eps when such players have had 1 year at the top level.

Old Timer

Coach
Why would he ditch a manager that’s trying to get him max dollars?

We all agree there is improvement needed in his game (including himself) but on current form alone there is no way he’ll end up in Toronto if we don’t extend and upgrade him.

On current form he’ll easily get another NRL club in 2020 on much more than he’s currently on if we don’t extend him.
If the numbers quoted are what his manager is asking to get a signature from Dufty right now, then he is a fool.
No club is going to offer him anything remotely like the numbers muted at present and his manager is doing him a disservice by asking especially in regards to St GI.
His manager should shut up and let the kid get on with improving and honing his skills and then make a move on his value as at present his form line is mediocre to ok at best as his deficiencies as outlined are too great for a NRL spine player and anyone with a modicum of knowledge knows that.
Dufty needs to focus on getting his next contract by form and form alone rather than some stupid manager talking him up with no proof to back it up.
If he improves and he then gets to a high market value and we have to make a tough choice so be it but signing him for big $$$ and a long contract prior to any improvement is dumb on our part.
I can't agree with your position that he would easily get a gig in NRL other than a bottom dwelling side and they wouldn't have a pack like ours, so his weakness in defence would become even more glaring and teams are very happy to offload players very quickly these days if they don't work out.

possm

Coach
If the numbers quoted are what his manager is asking to get a signature from Dufty right now, then he is a fool.
No club is going to offer him anything remotely like the numbers muted at present and his manager is doing him a disservice by asking especially in regards to St GI.
His manager should shut up and let the kid get on with improving and honing his skills and then make a move on his value as at present his form line is mediocre to ok at best as his deficiencies as outlined are too great for a NRL spine player and anyone with a modicum of knowledge knows that.
Dufty needs to focus on getting his next contract by form and form alone rather than some stupid manager talking him up with no proof to back it up.
If he improves and he then gets to a high market value and we have to make a tough choice so be it but signing him for big $$$ and a long contract prior to any improvement is dumb on our part.
I can't agree with your position that he would easily get a gig in NRL other than a bottom dwelling side and they wouldn't have a pack like ours, so his weakness in defence would become even more glaring and teams are very happy to offload players very quickly these days if they don't work out.

Manager is Mr 10% @95k per year just from Dufty. You can be sure he wants it bad.

watatank

Coach
Dufty worth depends on whether he is seen as a long term starting fullback or not and will be decided with time. That probably needs to be the focus, to be fair it probably is for him. Not sure where he is a guaranteed starter if not with us.

Drag Queen

Bench
even that amount is a stretch crush im sure hes worth 450 to 500 at present ,plenty to learn but im sure he will improve this year ,at least lets hope his defence can get closer to his attack .......
Bloody hell OD. The price these young players command makes me feel ill. More than the Prime Minister of the day, our champion swimmers who get an allowance of $26k and CEO''s of charitable organisations. Really? I'm not saying that all footy players are dumb, but some are borderline stupid. I sincerely hope that the players take the advantage of an education and degree with the open line to the UOW. There is no way in hell that I would be paying Dufty the bare minimum which is approximately $100K . To a lot of people that would be quite a phenomenal amount of money to play footy. Just putting things into perspective..

blacksafake

First Grade
Goes to show how far the game has come with all these figures being bandied around. The number of players on 700K a season today is unbelievable.There are probably more players on a million $ now than we know.

ALSGI

Bench
OT, honestly do you think anyone here believes the $950k BS? I don’t. If your rant is based on that perhaps take a Bex mate and relax.

However if you seriously don’t think he’ll get more from another NRL team in 2020 than we’re paying him right now, based on his current form, take two Bex. Other clubs have him in their sights already and If you think he has a stupid manager for exploiting this take a third Bex. Won’t matter if the club is bottom dwelling this year or not when the money is on the table.

Sugesting he’ll end up in Toronto if he doesn’t ditch his mananger is pretty stupid.

On current form Toronto couldn’t afford him.

He’s the kind of player we need to take risks with - not those f**kwits from Parramatta.

Old Timer

Coach
OT, honestly do you think anyone here believes the $950k BS? I don’t. If your rant is based on that perhaps take a Bex mate and relax.

However if you seriously don’t think he’ll get more from another NRL team in 2020 than we’re paying him right now, based on his current form, take two Bex. Other clubs have him in their sights already and If you think he has a stupid manager for exploiting this take a third Bex. Won’t matter if the club is bottom dwelling this year or not when the money is on the table.

Sugesting he’ll end up in Toronto if he doesn’t ditch his mananger is pretty stupid.

On current form Toronto couldn’t afford him.

He’s the kind of player we need to take risks with - not those f**kwits from Parramatta.
Not saying he isn’t worth the risk and I am well on the record re f**kwhit Hayne
IMO Dufty is around a $450k risk value on current form
He needs a big start to the season and any hint of high ball issues or dogging tackles will see him worth half that and any potential suitors drop him like a hot potato thus my tongue in cheek Toronto comment.
So if his manager is pushing the envelope for a figure bigger than what good fullbacks that can catch and tackle get them he will have his recruit in nowhere land if he has any flaws because attack alone won’t cut it.

Forster Dragon

Juniors
He is a promising young player and his current contract is his value.I am sure if he has a good full year this season his contract will be upgraded to reflect his value going forward.
I say caution beware and do not jump in to early as the judge is still out and he has a lot to prove prior to earning a big long term contract.

ALSGI

Bench
Not saying he isn’t worth the risk and I am well on the record re f**kwhit Hayne
IMO Dufty is around a $450k risk value on current form
He needs a big start to the season and any hint of high ball issues or dogging tackles will see him worth half that and any potential suitors drop him like a hot potato thus my tongue in cheek Toronto comment.
So if his manager is pushing the envelope for a figure bigger than what good fullbacks that can catch and tackle get them he will have his recruit in nowhere land if he has any flaws because attack alone won’t cut it.
Glad we both agree he’s worth a risk.

As I’ve said before, he’s already on plenty of other clubs radar now imo, based on current form.

I disagree that $450k (Aitken/Lafai money) is all he’s worth risking on and I’d be offering more well before middle of next season if other clubs are competing for his services. And that’s just on his current attacking/match winning abilities alone. His defence will improve.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Glad we both agree he’s worth a risk.

As I’ve said before, he’s already on plenty of other clubs radar now imo, based on current form.

I disagree that $450k (Aitken/Lafai money) is all he’s worth risking on and I’d be offering more well before middle of next season if other clubs are competing for his services. And that’s just on his current attacking/match winning abilities alone. His defence will improve.
its time to stop handing out the Bex and take one yourself, No way is he worth $650k per year, he has potential, but also needs big improvement in a lot of area's, Kalyn Ponga is on approx $700k, If Dufty is on $280k thats where he should stay and if he improves in 2019, no more than $400-450 MAX..

ALSGI

Bench
its time to stop handing out the Bex and take one yourself, No way is he worth $650k per year, he has potential, but also needs big improvement in a lot of area's, Kalyn Ponga is on approx $700k, If Dufty is on $280k thats where he should stay and if he improves in 2019, no more than $400-450 MAX..
Yeah, I didn’t actually say $650k at any time, so take a Bex mate, relax.

However my point is imo he’s worth risking more than the reported 400k + that we’re paying our current centres.

Everyone agrees there’s improvement needed in his game but for those that think we can just wait until mid next season to sign him for 2020 are kidding themselves. He’ll get better offers before then. His Manager is making it pretty clear now despite the ambit $950k bs.