What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

possm

Coach
Dufty rarely misses a one on one tackle in open field. RTS had The break and a full head of steam. Dufty chased and caught him and within 10 metres.

Both Dufty’s sublime passes for Beale to cross over were perfect. Poor decision to disallow the 1 st due to a touch judge apparently. A beautiful flat ball backwards out of the hand right onto Beale’s chest.
Tackling from behind or from the side when chasing a player down is one of the easiest tackles a player can make. So many juniors are fearful of being hurt when tackling head-on may even let players go past and tackle from behind rather than attempt it head-on. Like Soward, Dufty does not like the collision.

Reactions: jak

Dragsters

First Grade
I know that , but it would make sense to me to make him an offer ..... So he is ok to play out the year because Hook wants his strongest team on the field because he wants to make the 8 ...... and they still cant use him next year ......

It seems to be a fait accompli but I agree, a modest offer to keep him as a bench utility should at least be considered...

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
I see he’s bleating to the smh today about how his reputation has been tarnished.
IMO he has a point. He was Mary's regular fall-guy whilst the likes of Aitken and Lafai could do no wrong. Now he's first out the door while Hook continually talks up - and by all reports had to be talked out of re-signing - Norman.

For all of his deficiencies, objectively speaking I don't think he's had the latitude some of the other "stars" have been and continue to be given.

The Chammas article was an absolute assassination piece but bleating about it to the papers probably doesn't help though.

BLM01

First Grade
IMO he has a point. He was Mary's regular fall-guy whilst the likes of Aitken and Lafai could do no wrong. Now he's first out the door while Hook continually talks up - and by all reports had to be talked out of re-signing - Norman.

For all of his deficiencies, objectively speaking I don't think he's had the latitude some of the other "stars" have been and continue to be given.

The Chammas article was an absolute assassination piece but bleating about it to the papers probably doesn't help though.
Yes the article was not needed, but it pretty much summed up what everyone saw in him
And it was to once and for all douse all the neagtive press coming the clubs way for not keeping him

getsmarty

Immortal
Except on their 2nd try 1st half he should of tried to get under the defender not throw his body over the top
Not his fault the try was scored but those are the effort things you need from your fullback
Corret
I know that , but it would make sense to me to make him an offer ..... So he is ok to play out the year because Hook wants his strongest team on the field because he wants to make the 8 ...... and they still cant use him next year ......

Why.... Griffin doesn't rate him....Why waste a spot in your top 30 on someone who coach doesn't want...Watch the unfolding news ..........

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Dufty rarely misses a one on one tackle in open field. RTS had The break and a full head of steam. Dufty chased and caught him and within 10 metres.

Both Dufty’s sublime passes for Beale to cross over were perfect. Poor decision to disallow the 1 st due to a touch judge apparently. A beautiful flat ball backwards out of the hand right onto Beale’s chest.
Can't agree with the defensive observation- in the first ten minutes, he was lucky that the Warriors winger (Kosi?) decided to kick simultaneously as he crashed into Dufty and knocked him back a metre within ten metres of the line. If Kosi had hung onto the ball, I'm sure that Dufty would have been steamrollered and a try scored.
But yes, the upside is that he's a matchwinner who puts bums on seats and with (probably) the best long passing game in the club. Pity an on the ball role can't be found for him as he was a constant threat around the ruck in the closing minutes of the game.

blacksafake

First Grade

Unfortunately being Mary’s fall guy has nothing to do with Hook changing the culture & personal in the club.
Maybe if he’d had worked harder on his faults he may not be in the position he’s in now.

Eastview

Juniors
Duftys camp reached out to the waratahs and has also been rejected by them... What's next? AFL? A-league? Netball? Haha

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
Unfortunately being Mary’s fall guy has nothing to do with Hook changing the culture & personal in the club.
Maybe if he’d had worked harder on his faults he may not be in the position he’s in now.
That's almost certainly true but my point isn't that he has known and sometimes glaring faults - the same could be said for most of the squad.

The thing that worries me is when one other player for example also has known and very glaring faults, that player is afforded all manner of leeway. It has a bit of that same stink of illogical favouritism that plagued the forgotten years.

To put it bluntly, we have a playmaker who drifts in and out of games and as witnessed yet again the other night, even when he's on the ball often makes some horrifically unintelligent decisions. Then the coach talks him up.

I don't like bagging players but I'd be all for the culture change if at every post-match press conference is wasn't being told that the halves played well when very often one of them clearly didn't.

thebigredv

First Grade
Duftys camp reached out to the waratahs and has also been rejected by them... What's next? AFL? A-league? Netball? Haha

Maybe he should take a huge pay cut and stay with the Dragons. If he thinks he is worth big bucks he is deluded.

Mjab

Juniors
Dufty and Norman Only have themselves to blame in realty.
both not enough consistent effort thru a game
Both serious deficiencies not corrected or sufficiently worked on
either don’t care enough or no insight

dropping him to 14 utility will only make things worse , his effort and confidence will only deteriorate

Papenhouzen was a 14 on the the up in a good team and a great coach so no comparison,
if u have to demote someone, you need to offload them , this is what effective businesses do , but we are talking Saints

Yes Mary was a terrible coach who had no abilities to fix the issues but Dufty could have either asked for more help or even gone outside club to be improved . They r on good dollars. even if the coaching staff didn’t have the smarts , He could have paid himself for Slater or even someone like Mick Potter to correct and advise him if the club couldn’t . He probably is too thick to even understand the deficencies he has