What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
It's amazing that no other team could offer Matt a 2yr contract .....or is it?

Going to the Bulldogs would be ur last preference given that if he plays FB he will be taking high bombs under pressure deep in his back line more than any other team he could have played for.........which will cruel is potential for a 2023 contract

Pro Dragons

Juniors
I agree why all the hate?
In only 4 seasons the guy scored 45 blistering NRL trys for the dragons and a number sublime individual efforts. The Roosters game in 2019 long ranger where he busted the line and turned Tedesco and Cronk inside out I’ll never forget.
Now we are excited to replace him with the latest future superstar and add a few more slow pokes to the existing ones.
Anyway onwards and upwards.
That was one of the best tries you’ll ever see. I think it was a mistake to let him go.

Dragon David

First Grade
There are people who say that if we kept Dufty then players like Sloan, Schiller, Ramsey etc would go elsewhere. Those guys are still quite green and have really not played that many games given the interruptions we have experienced in the past year and a half due to the pandemic. These interruptions might linger on for another year or two or more so we are looking at trying to fit in the younger guys as time goes on but maybe with still limited game time especially getting experience in the top grade seeing that Hook is quite likely looking at some other "experienced" fullback to show them the way and allow them to mature a little bit more.

If this is the case we could have had Dufty for at least another year with the same scenario being played out as getting some other "experienced" guy who might be just as experienced as Dufty is and maybe less so who the juniors can learn from - who knows?

How will we know if the next fullback will not have the same "wrong" attitude as Dufty is giving and why the hell is Hook still giving Dufty more time in first grade?

I know that Dufty will be sitting out in one of the next 2-4 games because of the BBQ affair and Sloan will come in for one of the games but after that, Hook doesn't want to rush Sloan in and therefore Dufty will play if he remains fit and uninjured in the majority of the remaining 2021 games.

The next full time fullback we put in the No.1 jersey will have a lot of pressure on him to warrant selection or recruitment so I cannot wait to see what eventuates.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
We need TPJ like we need McGregor back! We have a massive culture/entitlement problem as it is. How exactly is TPJ going to solve that issue?

We are clearing the decks so to speak, with Norman, Vaughan and Dufty all gone/going. JDB should have joined them if we were absolutely serious. We need good footballing citizens and does TPJ meet that criteria? Talented? Yes but he slides into the Joey Leilua category for me. Can you ever truly rely on them?
TPJ, McGuire, Burgess and throw in Rava it will be standing room only at the judiciary

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
That was one of the best tries you’ll ever see. I think it was a mistake to let him go
Tbh I was disappointed that Matt is leaving....sure hes not the best line of defence Ive ever seen and hes not the greatest fullback under the high ball,( although he has made a marked improvement of late in that area) but at least on most occassions whenever he had ball in hand I got excited and felt something was happening in our attack....theres been rumours that its his attitude that isnt the best ......and hes to small and wont commit himself to a tackle.....well as much as I respect Hook if hes worth his salt as a quality coach then surely he could address those issues.....put it this way if it is attitude then Im sure someone like Bennett or Bellamy would straighten him out ,or if its his size as far as defence goes I dont see Melbourne Storm complaining about Papenhuyzens physique who just so happens to be 3kgs lighter......its doeable with Dufty believe me but it appears its a case of we dont want him full stop.....such a shame for someone who possesses such blinding speed thats going to be very hard to replace....

BLM01

First Grade
Tbh I was disappointed that Matt is leaving....sure hes not the best line of defence Ive ever seen and hes not the greatest fullback under the high ball,( although he has made a marked improvement of late in that area) but at least on most occassions whenever he had ball in hand I got excited and felt something was happening in our attack....theres been rumours that its his attitude that isnt the best ......and hes to small and wont commit himself to a tackle.....well as much as I respect Hook if hes worth his salt as a quality coach then surely he could address those issues.....put it this way if it is attitude then Im sure someone like Bennett or Bellamy would straighten him out ,or if its his size as far as defence goes I dont see Melbourne Storm complaining about Papenhuyzens physique who just so happens to be 3kgs lighter......its doeable with Dufty believe me but it appears its a case of we dont want him full stop.....such a shame for someone who possesses such blinding speed thats going to be very hard to replace....
Yes..and Hook can lead a horse to water...

rasaint

Juniors
Don’t stress everybody; there are still plenty of slow pokes in our team and we will probably pick up a few more I’m sure.Who needs very fast players anyway and this much maligned 45 NRL try flying machine can leave now.

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
I get it BSE; but he will be 26 when season 2022 begins and he still cannot tackle, still is very shaky under the high ball, still is passive around the goal line when short kicks are coming his way and still cannot run the ball back. Attacking wise? Top shelf but is he really going to fix these deficiencies in the back half of his career?

I say he is another casualty of McGregor. Very poorly coached. These deficiencies should have been corrected 3-4 years ago. Put Dufty in the "My Career was destroyed by McGregor" category.

As an aside how/why was McGregor given the NSW U/18's? The bloke is a complete imbecile.

Dragon David

First Grade
Don’t stress everybody; there are still plenty of slow pokes in our team and we will probably pick up a few more I’m sure.Who needs very fast players anyway and this much maligned 45 NRL try flying machine can leave now.
Yes we just need slow pokes to win the next comp. Provided they can defend that's all we are concerned about.

Speed wins games but those players who have this attribute are not on the wanted list at the Dragons. While Saab wanted to leave, if we really wanted him, I'm sure that our recruitment could have done something to retain him. Dufty going is a disappointment but he is not our future at 25. But who is?

Gaygo

Juniors
I get it BSE; but he will be 26 when season 2022 begins and he still cannot tackle, still is very shaky under the high ball, still is passive around the goal line when short kicks are coming his way and still cannot run the ball back. Attacking wise? Top shelf but is he really going to fix these deficiencies in the back half of his career?

I say he is another casualty of McGregor. Very poorly coached. These deficiencies should have been corrected 3-4 years ago. Put Dufty in the "My Career was destroyed by McGregor" category.

As an aside how/why was McGregor given the NSW U/18's? The bloke is a complete imbecile.
Because he won a Grand Final coaching the Dapto Canaries. Who could want more on a resume than that?

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
Yes we just need slow pokes to win the next comp. Provided they can defend that's all we are concerned about.

Speed wins games but those players who have this attribute are not on the wanted list at the Dragons. While Saab wanted to leave, if we really wanted him, I'm sure that our recruitment could have done something to retain him. Dufty going is a disappointment but he is not our future at 25. But who is?
DD, balance wins games. That is the ability to play on both sides of the ball (attack and defence). I loved watching Dufty run with the ball and his cut out passing when he drifts in at 2nd receiver is top notch, but he is a disaster defensively.

I can't help but think what sort of #6 he would of made. Remember it was Hornby who turned him into a #1. And of course there are those who would rightly say that his defensive deficiencies would have been further exposed at #6 BUT/BUT/BUT. Anyway we will never know unless Barrett puts him at #6 with Burton at #4.

Another casualty of disastrous coaching; and if you ever want a better illustration of what good coaching is about; look at Saab at Manly. Could you blame Saab for agitating for a release from the McGregor debacle?

Dragon David

First Grade
DD, balance wins games. That is the ability to play on both sides of the ball (attack and defence). I loved watching Dufty run with the ball and his cut out passing when he drifts in at 2nd receiver is top notch, but he is a disaster defensively.

I can't help but think what sort of #6 he would of made. Remember it was Hornby who turned him into a #1. And of course there are those who would rightly say that his defensive deficiencies would have been further exposed at #6 BUT/BUT/BUT. Anyway we will never know unless Barrett puts him at #6 with Burton at #4.

Another casualty of disastrous coaching; and if you ever want a better illustration of what good coaching is about; look at Saab at Manly. Could you blame Saab for agitating for a release from the McGregor debacle?
I've said enough about Dufty and plenty have said a lot about him as well particularly his defensive lapses and other problems he has not been able to fix. I'm not too sure as to whether or not he will be able to play on both sides of the ball even if coached by either Bennett or Bellamy.

I just hope that we have plans to get somebody with speed in our squad to score those length of the field tries.

Anyway, Dufty is gone and not likely to return and we will just have to see what we have coming through in 2022.

We have been a very up and down club for so long now that I'm more or less getting used to it. So much drama has hit us in the past couple of years and I'm just hoping that the club becomes more consistent going forward and the players just concentrate on playing good footy and leaving the bad habits and attitudes behind them.

Old Timer

Coach
For sure Dufty scored some great tries and for sure he let some shockers in

The thing that most disappoints me is his sporadic input and his inability to produce the goods regularly against teams we should beat

Far too often he has had incredibly lacklustre performances against lowly ranked opponents.

His best attack is indeed terrific but just not consistent enough.

He will have highlights wherever he goes but in the end it’s going to be about the little things that will define if he has a career that will rank when people talk about the best FB’s and I just can’t see that happening

getsmarty

Immortal
I've said enough about Dufty and plenty have said a lot about him as well particularly his defensive lapses and other problems he has not been able to fix. I'm not too sure as to whether or not he will be able to play on both sides of the ball even if coached by either Bennett or Bellamy.

I just hope that we have plans to get somebody with speed in our squad to score those length of the field tries.

Anyway, Dufty is gone and not likely to return and we will just have to see what we have coming through in 2022.

We have been a very up and down club for so long now that I'm more or less getting used to it. So much drama has hit us in the past couple of years and I'm just hoping that the club becomes more consistent going forward and the players just concentrate on playing good footy and leaving the bad habits and attitudes behind them.

This....in a nutshell....Time to move on..

Latest posts