What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Gidley possibly coming home

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I would suggest Macdougall retires at the end of the year and Gidley slots right in? We would be crazy to hire a 34 and 32 year old and stifle the very exciting prospects of a gun 21 year old.

If Gidley comes, then Macdougall has to go.

Watching doogs on the footy show last week, I would not be surprise if this was going to be his last year. If so, sign gidley and let doogs, lulia and little doogs go

keeney

First Grade
I always thought that Doogs was only oging for one year more, and the 2nd year was more of a way of paying him his worth under the cap. I would never dream of Doogs stayin in our top backline next year, I was more worried about the possibility of Midley impeding the growth of Mata'utai. Honestly, if Midley is playing anythign like 2006 atm, he'd be great to have around the club, and even if he isn't sign him up to educate our other backs. Can't think of a more complete mentoring package. Although Doogs has been demonstrating more and more of the Gidley subtleties as he ages.

Hanscholo

Bench
Mat doesnt really fit into our style at the moment, and i cant see him anywhere other than centre. Id prefer they went for a more robust replacement for dougs, or develop one of our left over three quarters into the spot.

Johns Magic

Referee
if he was coming home for peanuts because he wants to be here, would welcome him with open arms.

he and doogs can play tag team on one side, and let sau own the other.

and he can do 3 ballwork sessions with junior a week.

He can't teach natural ability

aqua_duck

Coach
I really don't know I think Junior is locked in at left centre, would be crazy to ditch him having re-signed him for 3 years. Right centre will be a hotly contest position as it is next year with Doogs, Naiqama, Mata'utia and Vuna fighting for 1 spot. I'd hate to think signing Midley on say a 2 year deal (2010, 2011) would force Peter Mata'utia to have a year playing park footy

macavity

Referee
He can't teach natural ability

Junior has natural ability in bucket loads

just not when it comes to passing

junior pops some good balls in traffic - what he needs to work on is passing before the line. Mids is the ideal person to help him with that - he can teach when to pass and help with technique.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I really don't know I think Junior is locked in at left centre, would be crazy to ditch him having re-signed him for 3 years. Right centre will be a hotly contest position as it is next year with Doogs, Naiqama, Mata'utia and Vuna fighting for 1 spot. I'd hate to think signing Midley on say a 2 year deal (2010, 2011) would force Peter Mata'utia to have a year playing park footy

Vuna has the right build for a centre but his style of play would have to have a major adjustment to be effective there. He is too much of a straight defender and would need to be taught when to slide across and adjust for big 2nd rowers running wide.

With his lack of ability under the high ball and iffy 1-1 defence I would struggle to find a spot for him in our 17. Id like to know if he has improved any of these areas of his game since last season because I think they are his major road blocks to securing a FG spot with us.

Johns Magic

Referee
Junior has natural ability in bucket loads

just not when it comes to passing

That's what I meant

junior pops some good balls in traffic - what he needs to work on is passing before the line. Mids is the ideal person to help him with that - he can teach when to pass and help with technique.

We have had Andrew Johns, Jarrod Mullen and Brian Smith at the club for the whole time Sau has been here. Obviously they would have working on passing with him, and it's done very little. Why would Gidley be any better?

I'm not even talking about the finer aspects of passing as a centre, I'm talking about passing, full-stop. He obviously just can't do it, and there are people that can't.

Big Tim

First Grade
if he was coming home for peanuts because he wants to be here, would welcome him with open arms.

he and doogs can play tag team on one side, and let sau own the other.

and he can do 3 ballwork sessions with junior a week.

24 games in a season, thats 12 each :D

Latest posts