What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Gidley possibly coming home

Super Sub

Juniors
I read Rugby League Week today and in the mole section it says that Matt Gidley wants to play on after this year and is considering coming back to the NRL and that the Knights are keen on having him back...

It's probably one of those small rumours that gets inflated some-what but does anyone know any more about it? Any thoughts?

perverse

Referee
i'm not sure what to think to be honest. where do you put him in our lineup? he's not worth ditching sau for at his age... and mad dog has been in terrific form. on the other hand... gids probably has a couple more years than doogs left in his legs... and would probably make a superstar out of uate very fast.

i dunno. i'm very conflicted. will need to give it more thought.

Adsy

Juniors
Id take Gids back if Mata'utai isn't ready to step up once Doogs is gone.

Id have Matt Gidley over Naiqama any day of the week.

cram

Bench
You would think if he came back it would be on a small contract....he may have been inspired by the Mad Dog's resurgence??

roopy

Referee
Gids is one of the best players in the ESL.
If he came back on a small contract he would be doing it for the team, because he can earn as much as Kurt earns easily by staying in the ESL.

Alex28

Coach
I'd have to say that it would be worth it on the basis we don't lose someone in the current starting 13 (besides Macdougall) to do it. To get him and lose Uate would leave a bitter taste.

Besides the Gidley story...does the O'Meley story have legs? Surely we'd pass on him...

Serc

First Grade
hmmmmmm...I bet there's a lot of hearsay thrown in with a tiny bit of fact in that. But in any case I'd have to think about that one, sounds like he's in good form as well.

Its quite funny, he played around 200 games for us, and Mad Dog has only played 170 odd games in his entire career and is 2 years older! Gids is turning 32 this year, and Mad Dog just turned 34.

I could be convinced...and as said by others above I don't think it would be for much $$$ as he'd be pretty much doing it for the team, and could be a perfect swap for Mad Dog if he decides to retire.

Edit: Actually, I've had only 5 mins to think about it and i'm already starting to get excited! The guy was one of our most consistently good players ever (especially compared to Mad Dog and being on the field) and if he still has it in him, it could be a masterstroke for one last hurrah. Obviously Sau and Uate are quickly forging a good combination, but he'd make McManus look like a world beater in attack (as long as we were 30m out or less from the tryline :p) and Uate...well I'm trying not to get too excited thinking about that just yet!

Last edited:

Tom155

Coach
I'd have to say that it would be worth it on the basis we don't lose someone in the current starting 13 (besides Macdougall) to do it. To get him and lose Uate would leave a bitter taste.

Besides the Gidley story...does the O'Meley story have legs? Surely we'd pass on him...
What story can you fill me in?

I have to admit my mouth waters at a Midley/Uate combination......

Maddog would have to go as you cant loose Sau unless you dropped Jimmy and moved Maddog to the Wing.

Maybe Sau as an impact player off the bench????

Alex28

Coach
I have to admit my mouth waters at a Midley/Uate combination......

Maddog would have to go as you cant loose Sau unless you dropped Jimmy and moved Maddog to the Wing.

Maybe Sau as an impact player off the bench????
An absolute backward step. Would be utterly crazy to even consider it.

Super Sub

Juniors
Well it looks like Luke MacDougall is going to lose his contract at the end of this year so maybe we would have some money to throw at Matt Gidley? But yeah I agree with what a lot of people are saying, with doogs in the form he is in and our other outside backs who either been in good form or improving rapidly, do we have room for Matt Gidley? IMO he is a guy that you couldn't leave out of the team, if he comes back to the NRL then any team who gets him will be making an excellent buy/

macavity

Referee
if he was coming home for peanuts because he wants to be here, would welcome him with open arms.

he and doogs can play tag team on one side, and let sau own the other.

and he can do 3 ballwork sessions with junior a week.

Alex28

Coach
I would suggest Macdougall retires at the end of the year and Gidley slots right in? We would be crazy to hire a 34 and 32 year old and stifle the very exciting prospects of a gun 21 year old.

If Gidley comes, then Macdougall has to go.

Spike

First Grade
We would either have to promote Mata'utia or buy another centre as back up for Mad Dog as he is only good for every third game and Lulia is a hack. I wouldn't pass on Gidley if he wants to play for peanuts.

Yosh

Coach
I agree MGidley coming in would mean we letting Doogs go.

Imagine MGidley manages to hand down some of his skill set and knowledge to Sau, would be a terrifying player. Sau atm goes direct too much and I think players this year have picked up on this. Last year he'd run at only the other centre with other players marking up on Uate and Patto because they were not aware Sau was just a pure ball runner. Now I think everyone knows Sau's gonna run so they double or triple mark him when he gets the ball, making him alot less effective. If Sau was able to become a more complete centre, he'd be just awesome.

Latest posts