What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matthew Head or Jamie Lyon

chopsy_05

Juniors
You'd think that Head would be signed up by now by St George if he wasn't going to test the market. Finch will not be a tiger, though he wants to be!

Wobbygong

First Grade
Phonetic don't fear, a deal is being put together as we speak for Head to remain a dragon - remember mate we have plenty of room to move under the cap after losing several topliners for 2007.

Creagh and Head are the priorities now, then they'l look at the others.

Vicious

Bench
Well Matt Head was just on Talkin Sport and stated that he`s definately going to June `30. The Talkin Sport team confirmed speculation that the Wests Tigers are definately very interested in signing Matt Head.
As for my headline for this thread, i wonder if the Wests Tigers will have a spare million to sign BOTH Matt Head and Jamie Lyon ???
I`d estimate that they could go very close to being able to afford to if it was what they wanted ??? I know i`d like to see it.

mulvihill

Juniors
Why would we want Lyon ??
He showed his colours by doing the off from Parra
Also last time i checked we were ok for a 5/8 and centre and didn't need a fat waste of space with no team ethic like Lyon

Vicious

Bench
mulvihill said:
Why would we want Lyon ??
He showed his colours by doing the off from Parra
Also last time i checked we were ok for a 5/8 and centre and didn't need a fat waste of space with no team ethic like Lyon

NO, he just didn`t appreciate being coached by an imbosile.
He`s a high class footballer, class players help win you games and premierships. It`s quite simple really. We could quite easily move Collis to the wing so that Lyon could slot into the centres when we`re full strength. Collis could always play in the centres whenever there`s an opportunity and Lyon could cover for Marshall and Head in the halves. Sounds good to me ???

Balmain_Boy

Sorry Vicious. Lyon is class, but we have two class centres in Whatuira who I wouldn't swap for any other centre in the game except Gasnier and a bloke who has class written over every inch of him in Collis. We'd be a better team with Lyon, yes. Undisputedly. However the improvement wouldn't be big enough to justify the room he'd occupy under the cap. We'd be better off finding a replacement for big Skando.

Also, I don't know whereyou get this idea that Lyon can play in the halves? He might be decent there, but he's played the majority of his career in the NRL and ESL at centre. He's played about 4 games at 5/8. He's a fill in at best.

Vicious

Bench
Balmain_Boy said:
Sorry Vicious. Lyon is class, but we have two class centres in Whatuira who I wouldn't swap for any other centre in the game except Gasnier and a bloke who has class written over every inch of him in Collis. We'd be a better team with Lyon, yes. Undisputedly. However the improvement wouldn't be big enough to justify the room he'd occupy under the cap. We'd be better off finding a replacement for big Skando.

Also, I don't know whereyou get this idea that Lyon can play in the halves? He might be decent there, but he's played the majority of his career in the NRL and ESL at centre. He's played about 4 games at 5/8. He's a fill in at best.

I think you`ll find that he`s played more than 4 games at 5/8 for St Helens and aside from that, he often gets into 1st or 2nd reciever even when he`s playing centre. He also has the size and strength to take a forward hit up and take some pressure off the forwards and he`s a very solid defender, why wouldn`t we or any other NRL side want him ???
On top of this he has good ball skills, a good step, aggression and a good kicking game. This would indicate to me that he clearly has what it takes to be one of the very best 5/8`s in the NRL and hes indicated that he does want to play 5/8. This being the case, i`d say that he`ll more than likely sign with a team that will use him exclusively at 5/8 and i`m sure there`ll be plenty of takers. In saying this, i reckon he could possibly be tempted into joining the Wests Tigers with the option of playing outside Benji and moving into 5/8 when the opportunity arises ???
We don`t need a replacement for Laffranchi or Skando should he leave as we have plenty of our own that will be ready come the start of next season.
It`s quite simple, add Matt Head and Jamie Lyon to our side and we`ll be just about unbeatable in `2007.

innsaneink

Referee
Bad idea vish

Hes a centre, we have good centers...we need a half, a backrower and a prop as its looking like Skandos goin.

Vicious

Bench
innsaneink said:
Bad idea vish

Hes a centre, we have good centers...we need a half, a backrower and a prop as its looking like Skandos goin.

I can`t agree, we`re fine for forwards. We`re going to struggle fitting in all the forwards that deserve to be in 1sts as it is without buying any more and sending the message that we don`t give our own talented products a shot.

colonel_123

Juniors
Vicious said:
I can`t agree, we`re fine for forwards. We`re going to struggle fitting in all the forwards that deserve to be in 1sts as it is without buying any more and sending the message that we don`t give our own talented products a shot.

I've said it before but Skandalis, Laffranchi and O'Hara are the only 3 forwards in this years pack that are consistently averaging 100 metres a game.

Heighington, Galloway, Gibbs and Harris aren't playing well enough to prove that they can fill that role and it's a big risk to expect that Moa, Rysko, Katu and Saffy who haven't played any first grade yet are ready to step up in the absence of two forwards as good as Skandalis and Laffranchi even with Fulton back on deck for a full season.

Unless some of the above mentioned players can really start to prove themselves over the next few weeks then Wests are going to need to look outside the club at other options.

Gus22

Juniors
We should sign Head & a back up for him. Head is clearly the most talented half-back available on the market & if he avoids injury he could be prove to be a sensational signing. That's a big "if" considering recent history, so you'd have to try & get a back up player who has first grade experience in the halves but won't command big dollars. Players like Witt, Williams, Morris, & possibly even Seymour.

We can cover Skandalis' loss as we have a fair few props now ready to aim up - Gibbs, O'Hara, Payten, Galloway, plus developing prospects like Moa & Saffy.

Laffranchi is our biggest loss & can only be replaced by someone like Simpson, Creagh,or possibly Stagg.

Lyon is not needed as a pivot. If you put him at 5/8 you then have to move Marshall to half-back, which is a role he is not yet ready to take on. Marshall will make a great half-back one day but he is still learning the game & needs more time.

As a centre Lyon would be a welcome addition but would cost too much. We have the 3/4s well covered but for greater depth I'd look at Luke Macdougall or Pat Richards if he becomes available.

Therefore IMO the best scenario for 2007 is;

Out
Prince, Laffranchi, Skandalis, Elford, Fitzhenry
In
Head, Morris, Simpson, L.Macdougall

1. Hodgson
2. L.Macdougall
3. Collis
4. Whatuira
5. McDonnell
6. Marshall
7. Head
13. Fulton
12. Simpson
11. Galea
10. Gibbs
9. Farah
8. O'Hara

14. Halatau
15. Heighington
16. Payten
17. Lolesi
-------------
18. Galloway
19. Morris

colonel_123

Juniors
Someone like Morris or Williams are currently starting halves, they're not going to leave their clubs and come to Wests to play in premier league, behind Marshall and Head or whatever other big name player the club can get. (Witt and Seymour aren't off contract)

I think for back up the club will need to rely someone like Caldwell or Waters or another of the juniors...

chopsy_05

Juniors
Just remember we don't want to spend a heap on new players this year as we have alot of players off contract next year that will be keen for upgrades as well. Sure target a half but i think we should leave it at that or we could be sorry next year trying to squeeze a few players in.

Gus22

Juniors
colonel_123 said:
Someone like Morris or Williams are currently starting halves, they're not going to leave their clubs and come to Wests to play in premier league, behind Marshall and Head or whatever other big name player the club can get. (Witt and Seymour aren't off contract)

I think for back up the club will need to rely someone like Caldwell or Waters or another of the juniors...
They just might back themselves to take any opportunity they get in first grade should Marshall &/or Head cop an injury (which you'd have to think is a fair chance on recent history). Learning from Tim Sheens could be a big attraction for Morris or Williams.

Scratch Witt & Seymour - I thought they were off contract.

Palms

Juniors
I can't see Morris fitting in at the Tigers. He's not an organisational player and has spent most of his time with Parra at 5/8. We need someoneto organise us and Marshall isn't our man. Although he may be able to handle it, I believe giving him this role would smother his exceptional attacking skills and unpredictability.

Ubsy

Juniors
Palms said:
I can't see Morris fitting in at the Tigers. He's not an organisational player and has spent most of his time with Parra at 5/8. We need someoneto organise us and Marshall isn't our man. Although he may be able to handle it, I believe giving him this role would smother his exceptional attacking skills and unpredictability.

I totally agree. Morris is not the answer for us.
Prince is great at organising the play and taking pressure off marshall.
We need a half, not a 5/8. At best, morris would make a good backup for Benji, but I also don't think he will not sign unless he is given the role of half.