What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matthew Johns sex scandal in 2002

AILD

Bench
sometimes no means yes.

and sometimes "dont touch me freak"...means "i wanna have sex on the beach, come on move your body"

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
cjg ...
sometimes no means no. sometimes silence means 'no ... but I'm too scared to say'. sometimes silence means 'no but I think that because I kissed you / danced with you/ came home with you now I don't have a choice'. sometimes no means ' I want to but I'm scared of what you'll say about me tomorrow'

sex is massively complicated and everyone should be talking about it imo.

Sometimes yes means no too.
Sometimes a written contract, signed in front of a JP, also means no.
Sometimes, you, you, you, him, his dog, the camera, the long plastic black floppy things, also means no.

Evenflow

Bench
some of you really have no idea what feminism is do you?

feminism (countable and uncountable; plural feminisms)
A social theory or political movement supporting the equality of both sexes in all aspects of public and private life; specifically, a theory or movement that argues that legal and social restrictions on females must be removed in order to bring about such equality.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/feminism

Seems to fall in line with my arguments

If anyone is still having trouble working out what feminism is just read Kiki's posts as a reference. It'll clear it up in no time.

Bengal

Juniors
some of you really have no idea what feminism is do you?
Lots of people are in this boat - men and women.

for you guys its just a label to use whenever a woman says something you don't like. DIRTY FEMINIST. grow up.
It's the angle or tone that a writer or person takes that catches the attention of men. In the past few days, every article, every comment written or spoken from women in the media has had a distinct feminist bent. The good ole "all men are bad" as a matter of course (henceforth, need to held to account, need to be educated) verses "all women are good" (henceforth, should be respected regardless of actions, should never be held to account regardless of behavior) type thinking has reared its ugly head yet again. We have not grown much as a society over the years.

In regards to this incident, putting the responsibility of "all" on the shoulders of one gender, as the overwhelming majority of the media have done here, will not eliminate circumstances like this from arising again. Unbiased analysis/scrutiny of "all" actions/behavior involved will. With choice comes consequence, with freedom comes responsibility. All sides, not just the one, needs to learn this.

I think we do need sex education for men and for women. not education about how to put on a condom and how your bits work, but actual discussion about how to get what you want out of sex, and what sex means.
In regards to this incident, the lessons we all need to learn starts will before the actual act of sex. Respect, for oneself and for others needs to be drummed into us all from the earliest age possible. That's a good starter for ten as far education is concerned.

deluded pom?

Coach
Lots of people are in this boat - men and women.

It's the angle or tone that a writer or person takes that catches the attention of men. In the past few days, every article, every comment written or spoken from women in the media has had a distinct feminist bent. The good ole "all men are bad" as a matter of course (henceforth, need to held to account, need to be educated) verses "all women are good" (henceforth, should be respected regardless of actions, should never be held to account regardless of behavior) type thinking has reared its ugly head yet again. We have not grown much as a society over the years.

In regards to this incident, putting the responsibility of "all" on the shoulders of one gender, as the overwhelming majority of the media have done here, will not eliminate circumstances like this from arising again. Unbiased analysis/scrutiny of "all" actions/behavior involved will. With choice comes consequence, with freedom comes responsibility. All sides, not just the one, needs to learn this.

In regards to this incident, the lessons we all need to learn starts will before the actual act of sex. Respect, for oneself and for others needs to be drummed into us all from the earliest age possible. That's a good starter for ten as far education is concerned.

:clap:

Parra

Referee
As are drunk males who happen to be pursued by drunk women, it would appear they all regret it.

The poor team.

The poor entire team at the mercy of a 19 year old girl.

Even the protagonists are beyond this level of grovelling.

Parra

Referee

The large majority of people understand this and act accordingly. Without the need for special education. Hence the outrage at the myth that this behaviour is part of wider society. Sure people outside of the NRL misbehave like this too - but they are also castigated freaks. Why should the NRL clubs offer protection for these people?

Parra

Referee
Why not? If all 10 of them had been drinking, and, as you think, alcohol can be used as a legitimate excuse for a lapse of judgment, why should the number matter?

All at the same time?

And who said the excuse is legitimate?

sass

Juniors

I totally agree with you. if this whole discussion has shown me anything it's that - in Australia at least - the attitude is deeply ingrained that women are the moral guardians of our society. women are either victims or judges, and men are always savages or deviants who can't control themselves and have to be told what is right and wrong by women.

that kinda attitude is destructive to BOTH sexes. it's untrue ... but it's also an unfair burden on women and men both.

but it's not a feminist point of view. if anything ... it's a view held by men and women that predates most feminism. it's been around since victorian times.

women are GOOD. they are there to be moral and restrained, and when they cross that line, they are 's**ts' and get no sympathy or respect from anyone.

men on the other hand get painted as complete testosterone fuelled animals, and they either get the 'boys will be boys' free pass (see the matty johns support groups) or they are written off as monsters.

it's all so unhelpful. and I reckon if you look at the news articles you can see it at work so so easily.

Meth

Staff member
If anything, the number of drunken males increases the chances of stupid things occurring.

Alcohol can't be used to pardon the girl's decision to consent any more than the guys'

Evenflow

Bench
Too drunk to make a sensible decision but not too drunk to get an erection.

It would appear you have trouble in the plumbing department down there when you've had a few :lol:

If every bloke couldn't get it up when they're pissed then wouldn't be much rooting going on after a night on the turps. We all know that's not true.

Latest posts