What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matthew Johns sex scandal in 2002

duck_dodgers

Juniors
http://www.sbs.com.au:80/sport/blog...fairness-and-the-restoration-of-Matthew-Johns

The fight for truth, fairness and the restoration of Matthew Johns

15 May 2009 | 12:00 - By Jesse Fink

Amid recent arguments about consent and morality, has Australia become a vigilante state?

So now come the revelations that "Clare", the eye of the storm in the Four Corners program "The Code of Silence", allegedly "bragged" to her workmates about having sex with Cronulla Sharks players, including Matthew Johns, the day after that infamous incident in the Racecourse Hotel in Christchurch in 2002.

Tania Boyd, a cash controller at the hotel, last night told Channel Nine: "She was absolutely excited about the fact: she was bragging about it to the staff and quite willing, openly saying how she had sex with several players. We were quite disgusted about it… there was no trauma whatsoever.

"I'm disgusted that a woman can all of a sudden change her story from having a great time to then turning it into a terrible crime.

"We all just thought it was hilarious until five days later the police came to work and were horrified she had now changed her story to say she was now a victim of crime."

In a separate interview with the Sydney Morning Herald, she went further, claiming Clare boasted, "I was with the boys from Cronulla Sharks last night, I don't even know how many" and that she "told police I thought it was all made up, and I believe many of the other staff told them the same thing."

If Boyd's account is correct, and which seems to square up with Johns's own version of what happened that night, I'm disgusted too.

How can such an important piece of information fail to be included in the Four Corners story?

If I was disgusted at the treatment of Johns, and I have been apoplectic, I'm now even more disgusted at what our country has become.

What the Matthew Johns story has proved this week is that there are two Australias: one that values fairness, due process and justice; another that runs by the freewheeling rules of a vigilante state.

I sincerely hope the guttersnipes that were so quick to condemn Matthew Johns – in particular Sam de Brito, Miranda Devine, and Jill Singer – feel a little sheepish this morning. They bloody well should. All three, and many others, rushed to the judgement of Johns with the restraint of a pack of hyenas before all the facts of the story were on the table.

I'm sorry, Richard Ackland, but Sarah Ferguson's story was not an "absolute cracker", it was shameful. A nadir for Australian journalism. And it stands to be another Phuong Ngo disaster for the ABC’s flagship current-affairs program.

"Four Corners managed to achieve something rare in journalism – a change of attitudes, a rejection of complacent acceptance of rottenness," Ackland wrote in today's SMH.

"You'll notice the legal eggshells over which Four Corners gingerly tiptoed on Monday night. I don't think [Ferguson] directly asked the New Zealand woman identified as 'Clare' whether she consented to one, two or five sexual encounters.

"If she had answered 'no', then the recognised rugby league players may well have been able to bring defamation proceedings against the ABC because an imputation of sexual assault had been raised.

"As in the criminal jurisdiction, such a civil case would have been heavily stacked in their favour because on a factual basis it is her word against the insistent chorus of male voices that the whole thing was consensual. One against eight."

The modus operandi of Four Corners, then, seems to be this: if we can't nail anyone for sexual assault for lack of evidence and corroboration, and we can't say what one or more of them did was sexual assault because we'll get our arses sued, we'll just put it on TV and smear the lot of them anyway.

Let's turn it around and make a story that is fundamentally an issue of consent suddenly one about the "degradation of women", misogyny and the ethicality of group sex (an issue I'm not even going to touch on here, for want of space). If Johns and his mates get cleaned up in the process, so be it!

Disgusting. That's a real "complacent acceptance of rottenness", Mr Ackland.

But there was a far worse example of intellectual vigilantism.

Pru Goward, the shadow federal community services minister and former sex discrimination commissioner, appeared on Nine's Today Show and declared the unnamed men in the room of the Racecourse Hotel that night were variously "facing possible jail sentences", "we are now talking about criminal charges", "we are talking now about a crime" and "we are that close to seeing charges of rape".

Excuse me? On what evidence?

Who does Goward think she is telling the New Zealand authorities how to do their business? What jurisdictive power does she have across the ditch? The police in Christchurch have closed their case, stating categorically "that no evidence was established that would support criminal charges being laid against any person. The female complainant was fully advised at the time of the outcome of the inquiry and accepted this."

Perhaps try commenting on things you know about next time, Miss Goward.

By far the most heartening media coverage I saw all week was last night on the NRL Footy Show on Nine.

It was touching to see Paul "Fatty" Vautin, or "Paddy", as Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen mistakenly called him, read out a prepared statement at the beginning of the program explaining his infamous "pat" on Johns's back the week before.

"Both Matt and I were not aware of the intensity of the story to come on the following Monday night," he said.

"He went on air to apologise to his wife, for the second time in seven years, mind you, and I noticed as he was sitting here, how hard he was doing it. At the end, and merely as a friend, I gave Matt a 'well said' and a pat on the back, as I think any Australian mate would do. It was nothing more and nothing less."

It was the right thing to do, Mr Vautin, and you should never have felt the need to explain yourself. I would have done the same thing and I haven't met, heard from or spoken to a man or woman this week who would do any differently.

Then there was the sight of a tearful Phil Gould, the eminence grise of rugby league and a good friend of Johns, who gave viewers an insight into how his mate had been effectively ambushed by Four Corners before "The Code of Silence" went to air.

"From the time Matt got the call from [Ferguson], she never intimated to him at any time what was coming his way, what the girl had said or how explosive she was going to be about it. Matt Johns, quite honestly, gave her all the details that he knew about the incident as he had given the police seven years ago.

"The program was aired… by Wednesday, I was really worried about [Johns]. I got some calls from him that gave me great concern for him. I urged him to come home. When he arrived [at Channel Nine studios] yesterday with his wife, I've never seen two more shattered people.

"They were struggling with the rage. They hadn't seen the report… and in their minds, the true facts hadn't come out. [Ferguson] hadn't reported the incident as it was, and that Matt somehow had been purported as the instigator of a very unsavoury act. They wanted the facts out there."

And while Four Corners and its reporter, Ferguson, were happy to put together their hatchet job on Johns and give him only a few days' warning of what was about to come – and not even the full details of that report, if we are to believe Gould – she did not even do The Footy Show the courtesy of appearing on the program after being expressly invited to field questions about the veracity of her story.

Again, disgusting.

A friend of mine, a 28-year-old woman called Cat who has been, like many of my friends and colleagues from around the world, penning virtual essays on the Johns story on my Facebook page, put it this way to me this week: "["Clare"] made a mistake, as did [Johns]. They all did. They have all already paid for it... in their own way. But is it Johns's responsibility to safeguard her as an innocent teen? Or is it realistic to expect people to live within the legal and moral boundaries that we all, as a collective whole, see fit and agree on?

"What are those rules? The law? No law was broken. So what are we talking about... a different level of deceit? He should have known better.

"But the truth is they all f***** up. They made a mistake. It wasn't Johns being a predator or her being a victim. We all make mistakes at some point and we all have to take responsibility for those mistakes eventually. And sometimes that really, really hurts. Sometimes those mistakes lead to post-traumatic stress disorder, sometimes to divorce, sometimes just to a headache... but responsibility must be taken for the choices we make, regrets or not."

Amid the maelstrom of bluster, condemnation, innuendo, rumour and misinformation, it was the most sensible thing I'd heard all week.

The Matthew Johns scandal should not leave rugby league in crisis. It should be leaving Four Corners in crisis.

Parra

Referee
Amazing hypocrisy.

One girls tv interview is baseless

The next girls interview is gospel.

Somewhere in between may be the truth.

One thing is true - no-one involved is proud of the fact.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Note the view I gave that they have of men, not women. If in doubt - google Glenn Sacks.

Who cares what some American columnist reckons :lol:

Many aspects of feminism are positive to society. I do not care what gender you are. Have you seen the ludicrous suicide rate among men???

Do you not think gender roles might play a part in that. That men refuse to accept help because of some geniused and stupid idea of masculinity. Feminism is not anti-men, it is anti-gender role though.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Amazing hypocrisy.

ohh you f*cken idiot. it is not 1 girls interview. There are 100 hundred people corroborating evidence. The girl in the interview is one of them.
But with dopes like you, it doesnt matter. You could watch a video of the incident with her begging for more & still find away to deflect responsibility away from her.
You are a PC nazi. If you are a man you are pathetic.

sportive cupid

Referee
lol Blacky.Now I get you.:lol:

BTW Is that 100X hundred people= 10,000 people collaborating? or just 100:lol:

(she really does get around)

Kiki

First Grade
A fair, well balanced and totally objective view from both sides. Excellent post.

hahahahahaha okay so sassy and i are best friends and partners in our careers, and actually we literally think exactly the same about this....yet i'm the one who is the feminazi?? okay dickhead.

dean yes, sassy's post does deserve your praise. probably one of the only 3 good things you have ever said :D

Bengal

Juniors
Who cares what some American columnist reckons :lol:
Depends on ones' view of feminism, namely, whether one believes that more than one type exists! For the record, Glenn Sacks is a lot more than a mere columnist. He's an advocate for mens issues, right at the forefront of change. His message resonates with men everywhere.

Many aspects of feminism are positive to society.
The basic tenets of feminism - equality and choice - needed to happen, absolutely needed to happen.

I do not care what gender you are. Have you seen the ludicrous suicide rate among men???
I'm well aware of it. It's a tragedy.

Do you not think gender roles might play a part in that.
Gender roles do play a huge part in this, especially in the reporting of incidences like this.

Feminism fought for choice, feminism fought for equality. All well and good. But there are consequences to these lofty ideals, namely responsibility and accountability. In this case, and in many more like it, the consequences, all too often, befall on men only. I'm arguing for a little more balance, a little more equality, from our media.

That men refuse to accept help because of some geniused and stupid idea of masculinity.
There's nothing geniused nor stupid about masculinity ditto femininity. Both are to be embraced, celebrated, understood - recognized for their differences, for their various strengths and weaknesses.

If men are in need of help, then I suggest to you that so is any woman who wishes to get involved in situations like these.

Feminism is not anti-men, it is anti-gender role though.
Sorry, but you are dead wrong. As said before, there are many types of feminism, some good, some not so good. You, and anyone else here that suggests that feminism doesn't incorporate certain beliefs, do men, do both sexes a huge disservice.

deluded pom?

Coach
For all of these 100 people coming forward saying "Clare" was bragging about it I've only seen one in print. That's not to say it's true or false just that reefy has made the claim and I've not seen 99 other quotes anywhere.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
For all of these 100 people coming forward saying "Clare" was bragging about it I've only seen one in print. That's not to say it's true or false just that reefy has made the claim and I've not seen 99 other quotes anywhere.
catch up or f*ck off idiot. Its the amount of witnesses questioned by the police. That included the people she worked with & the players. Even the candlestick makers would have been questioned as she would have given them a work out too.

typicalfan

Coach
The funny thing and my reason for my initial argument is that most people are basing their judgment on 3-4 peoples testimonials 7 years later while the police in Christchurch formed their opinion from 80 interviews...thats 80 v 3-4.

That is why I am happy to go with them and their opinion.

But by all means continue.

ramble_on

Juniors
Amazing hypocrisy.

bullsh*t.. you are... you're proud of your stance on this.... yet I think you're the hypocrit.... you take a moral ground on quicksand and can't see how far you've sunk through your moralistic bullsh*t....

Amazing hypocrisy.

rubbish.

you keep ignoring the fact that the police conducted 80 interviews. Matt Johns says it was consensual and then we learn she was bragging about the act and that she even had sex with two union players in a toilet previously.

All this adds up to strong support for Matt Johns and others having done nothing wrong. And when i say nothing i mean NOTHING. Consensual sex is not something to be ashamed of , in any form. You dont necessarily need to be proud of it. But you shouldnt be ashamed.

warriorsownyou

Juniors
He had sex with a loose female? Is that it? Being in England I'm confused as to whats going on, and the media are using choice words.

A few sharks players were involved in a sex act with a girl is what I've got so far. I see no mention of force so i'm assuming she consented.

If so, whats the issue? I'm either missing a big part of the story or I'm a bit slow.

The Tank

Bench
They were cleared by police but anyway... Matt and a player called Brett Firman went back to a hotel room with a girl known in the media as "Clare". Then their team-mates entered the room and well... she says she was assaulted (I'm assuming... I don't actually know what she's claimed TBH) and they say she consented... Massive over-reaction IMO but there ya go.

Johns and Firman had consensual sex with a groupie. Some other people entered the room and may or may not have had sex with groupie. The next day the Groupie BRAGGED about her exploits to friends and colleagues BUT a week later filed a complaint with the police so she could get some sort of government compensation for 'trauma'. Police looked into the event and declared no charges should be laid cause it was all consensual ...

7 years later anti-rugby league media decide to do a story about some sort of anti-women culture in Rugby League and used the Groupie as how badly Groupie's are emotionally affected by having sex with the footballers they hit on.

Matthew Johns becomes the scapegoat for sports stars, rock musicians, actors, entertainers and anyone else Groupies decide need their attention.

In short, a total over-reaction by media and people in general

THOUGH I have read that sentiment is starting to swing in favour of Matthew Johns.

And rightly f*cking so