What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matthew Johns sex scandal in 2002

Scorpio30

Bench
Paula Doneman
May 17, 2009 12:00am
THE WOMAN at the centre of a sex scandal involving three Broncos in a nightclub toilet last year has revealed the speed at which the situation got out of control and the anguish she has since endured.

"After a few kisses, things went drastically wrong," she said, speaking for the first time about what happened at the Alhambra Lounge nightclub in Brisbane's Fortitude Valley on September 13.

The incident led police to question Broncos Karmichael Hunt, Sam Thaiday and Darius Boyd (who now plays for St George Illawarra) as part of a six-week investigation.

Police said the players said they had consensual sex with the woman.

She alleged to police that she was sexually assaulted.

No charges were laid after the investigation and evidence – which included video taken on a mobile telephone – was independently reviewed by barrister Tim Carmody SC.

While the three men continue to play top-level football, the 24-year-old feels she has become a forgotten victim in a sexual-attitudes crisis that has engulfed top-level rugby league.

The woman said she had not seen an ABC TV Four Corners report on Monday that suggested a culture of extreme sexual promiscuity existed among some players within the code. But she has watched reports in recent days about TV personality and former Cronulla player Matthew Johns, whose career is in ruins after he admitted involvement in a group-sex incident after a 2002 football game in New Zealand.

The woman said she had decided to speak publicly for the first time because those reports had prompted her to wonder what the Broncos players she met were thinking over the past week.

The well-spoken, hardworking professional woman, who is a petite 160cm and 60kg, said she felt degraded and discarded.

She has worked with a psychologist to get her life back on track, but said the encounter – which she refers to as The Incident – follows her around like a "dark cloud".

She said: "The case (police investigation) has been closed, so it's history. But it's not history . . . I will never forget. I'm still functioning and my life is not over by any means, but I will never ever forget this.

"Whenever I think (about it), I just want to spit, it's just disgusting, absolute disgusting."

Before that night, the woman said, she had a healthy self-esteem.

Now, she said, she has trouble looking in the mirror because all she feels is "dirty".

She did not go out for almost three months after the incident.

"When I did go out I kept my sunglasses on. I just felt people knew it was me. I felt like I had a tattoo across my forehead which said (what had happened)."

And she now despises the game she previously loved to watch.

"I feel sick when I change the channel to Nine and it's football," she said. "Part of me is jealous that I don't feel that love or excitement any more for football . . . or do things like the footy tips."

The woman says she clearly remembers the events that led to her meeting the Broncos trio. She had been with two long-time female friends, both in their early 20s, for several hours at the Valley Fiesta.

She had been drinking and estimates she was probably over the legal driving limit (.05) but felt in control.

They first went to the Mustang Bar where they saw Thaiday talking to other patrons.

"It was excitement for us to see a footballer and I was a (Broncos) fan," she said.

She said Thaiday soon left, telling them they would have to find out which nightclub he was going to next.

When the three women walked into the Alhambra Lounge about 8pm, they were the only females there.

She said she went to the bar with one of her girlfriends to buy a drink and exchanged eye contact with Hunt.

"I think he shouted something along the lines of 'Hey, good looking' or 'Hey, sexy'. I went over to him . . . he took my hand," she said.

The woman said she eventually accompanied Hunt to a cubicle in the men's toilet. She said she felt safe. "Yeah, I was (starstruck) . . . I was thinking, 'Oh, my God, I have got Karmichael Hunt in a toilet cubicle.'

"After a few kisses, things went drastically wrong."

She said that in a "blink of an eye" Thaiday and Boyd were also in the cubicle.

"That was when The Incident happened," she said.

Mobile telephones belonging to several Bronco players at the nightclub that evening were seized as part of the police investigation.

The woman said she was not aware, until told by police, that the incident might have been filmed, but she suspected a photograph had been taken.

"I looked up and there was someone standing on a toilet seat (in the next cubicle) and they had a phone. My immediate reaction was a photo had been taken," she said.

Soon after, she left the cubicle and returned to the main area in the nightclub looking for one of her friends. She said she at first declined to reveal to the friend what had happened.

She eventually told her and said she had to leave the nightclub immediately.

"We left and I remember saying to my friend, 'I need to run' . . . and I bolted, I was gone," she said.

The friend followed her and calmed her down. They went back to the Mustang Bar, where they had a cigarette before getting a taxi home.

"I don't think we talked the whole way in the cab. I think we were both inconsolable and in absolute shock. We came back (home) and that's when it really hit me," she said.

The woman said she began crying inconsolably and ran out of her house before collapsing in a neighbour's yard. A family friend contacted police. By then, it was less than two hours after the toilet encounter.

She was taken by police to hospital and was interviewed the next day.

"I was still running on empty, I had no sleep. It was very hard . . . just having to relive everything," she said.

She and her family at first monitored the news reports, but it quickly became too much for them to handle and they stopped reading and watching anything about it.

She said she was angered by the club's decision not to stand down the three players pending the outcome of the police investigation.

On November 10, police announced no charges would be laid over the matter, citing "insufficient evidence".

She said she cried when police telephoned her.

Deputy Police Commissioner Ian Stewart later said it was unlikely the investigation would ever be revisited.

"This has been quite a rigorous investigation. I would suggest that the findings as they now stand will remain, unless something quite dramatic was to come to light," he said.

The players never publicly commented on the incident. The day after police concluded their investigation, the three were each fined $20,000 by the Broncos for a breach of the club's code of conduct by bringing the club and game into disrepute, Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen said.

Last night, a Broncos spokesman said: "The club accepted the police version of events and from that we believe we disciplined the players appropriately." The players' managers declined to comment.

The woman said she has had no contact with the players or the club. She said she was angry when the three men did a television interview after the police announcement and apologised to their families and fans: "I was royally pissed off when they apologised to everyone but me."

She also despises the superstar status the men returned to after the controversy. All three are first grade regulars and, since the nightclub encounter, Hunt and Boyd have been picked in Australian teams.

"I was so frustrated, angry, I still am . . . if you take away who they are, they are just three men," she said.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25494239-952,00.html

Boo Hoo

sportive cupid

Referee
Reefy.Very funny ,but not.

80 interviews DOES NOT = 100 corroborating witnesses
80 interviews leading to the conclusion that they could not lay charges DOES NOT = 100 people saying she enjoyed it.

Michaelson

Juniors
rubbish.

you keep ignoring the fact that the police conducted 80 interviews. Matt Johns says it was consensual and then we learn she was bragging about the act and that she even had sex with two union players in a toilet previously.

All this adds up to strong support for Matt Johns and others having done nothing wrong. And when i say nothing i mean NOTHING. Consensual sex is not something to be ashamed of , in any form. You dont necessarily need to be proud of it. But you shouldnt be ashamed.

Where does this figure of 80 police interviews come from? I also have only read about the union players on this forum, haven't seen it in the media at all. If anyone has links that'd be appreciated.

Michaelson

Juniors
It doesn't even really matter. Police have to satisfy particular criteria when deciding whether or not to press charges. Often they will believe the account of a complainant while not being able to press charges. The fact that charges were not pressed in no way proves that what went on was consensual and above board, just that the police were not able to compile enough evidence to build a case that would withstand the rigours of a court case. That's hardly unusual in cases like this where it's she said/he said (and 'he' in this case refers to 'they' anyway).

Consensual sex is not something to be ashamed of , in any form. You dont necessarily need to be proud of it. But you shouldnt be ashamed.

So how do you reconcile that with the fact that "Clare" is ashamed and so are the players (given everyone except Johns has gone to ground and many who were in Christchurch were falling over themselves to distance themselves from it?)

Brycey

Juniors
It doesn't even really matter. Police have to satisfy particular criteria when deciding whether or not to press charges. Often they will believe the account of a complainant while not being able to press charges. The fact that charges were not pressed in no way proves that what went on was consensual and above board, just that the police were not able to compile enough evidence to build a case that would withstand the rigours of a court case. That's hardly unusual in cases like this where it's she said/he said (and 'he' in this case refers to 'they' anyway).
The fact that these is not enough evidence to proceed with a case in these circumstances often means that what took place was consentual.

A woman has every right to say no and resist, if something of this nature took place and sexual intercouse still took place you would be able to see physical bruising and being a hotel with rooms closeby obviously there would be witnesses hearing the woman screaming for help.

The fact that these elements which happen to be some of the most basic criteria for instances of rape are not present indicates more than likely nothing happened. The woman might not have liked what was going on and was entitled to speak up if that was the case but you cannot blame the players for not being mindreaders.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
So how do you reconcile that with the fact that "Clare" is ashamed and so are the players (given everyone except Johns has gone to ground and many who were in Christchurch were falling over themselves to distance themselves from it?)

I'm still amazed that of all the stories put forward on the matter you seem to STILL think Clare's is the only factual one... :?

The fact that these is not enough evidence to proceed with a case in these circumstances often means that what took place was consentual.

Often but not always.

A woman has every right to say no and resist, if something of this nature took place and sexual intercouse still took place you would be able to see physical bruising and being a hotel with rooms closeby obviously there would be witnesses hearing the woman screaming for help.

Yes, about her right to say no and resist. But people react to difficult situations differently. I've read reports suggesting that the woman just basically shutting down and laying there waiting for it to be over is not unknown. Its a survival/coping mechanism.

As for the bruising, if she lay there and took it rather than kicking and screaming, there wouldn't be any. Even if there was, I'd bet the accused would claim she was up for a bit of rough sex.

As for screaming, see above. I'd thought who'd have wanted to be in the next room as there must have been some sort of ruckus anyway, but chances are the rooms around Johns' were the other players' anyway. But thats not really my point - its that just because she doesn't kick, scream and resist like most of us would expect does not mean she wanted to be there. People handle complex situations differently.

The fact that these elements which happen to be some of the most basic criteria for instances of rape are not present indicates more than likely nothing happened. The woman might not have liked what was going on and was entitled to speak up if that was the case but you cannot blame the players for not being mindreaders.

See above.

I agree the players are not going to be mindreaders.

However (insert disclaimer here - in no way am I moralising about casual sex, group sex, groupies or whatever) - but one of the risks of f**king strangers is that you do not understand how they might react to the experience. Complicate that with multiple men involved, and those risks are magnified.

I'm still amazed that of all the stories put forward on the matter you seem to STILL think Clare's is the only factual one... :?

I don't think that at all. Nor do I think the players story is 100% factual either. The answer is somewhere in that grey area in between.

Of course you shouldn't. But they all are.

A very good indicator that something is not right.

They all are?

we stiil dont know for sure who the other players are! can you read minds or something?!

seriously your just making this stuff up.

The only person that has expressed remorse is Johns , and clearly he had a reason to do so. Not only to save his marriage but to save his job. If he had of been anything else but remorseful the media would have gone after him even harder than they did.

And as far as im aware i stil havent seen a quote from firman.

Where does this figure of 80 police interviews come from? I also have only read about the union players on this forum, haven't seen it in the media at all. If anyone has links that'd be appreciated.

THE investigation into the sex scandal that cost disgraced rugby league personality Matthew Johns his job will not be reopened, New Zealand police say.
Johns' media and coaching career is in tatters after the ABC's Four Corners program aired allegations about his involvement in a 2002 group sex incident in Christchurch while he was playing for Cronulla.
Johns was one of several Cronulla players who took part in the act with a 19-year-old woman.
At the time, New Zealand police investigated the woman's claims that the sex was non-consensual, but the investigation cleared all players of wrongdoing.
Detective Inspector David Long, from Christchurch police, said the original investigation involved up to 80 interviews, and was thorough and conclusive.
"I'm completely satisfied that we got full and truthful accounts at the time and that no crime was committed,'' Det Insp Long said.
"There's renewed interest now, obviously from this television program, but there's been no new information whatsoever that's come forward that changes anything.
"So as far as reopening it, it's just not going to happen.''
He said the moral issues around group sex with a teenager were best left to commentators and were not a matter for police.
"There are moral aspects to this ... but these are not for the police to consider when enforcing the law,'' Det Insp Long said.
He also said the woman involved had been in touch with him again recently regarding the case, but that contact had not altered the situation.
Johns has been stood down by the Nine Network and has quit his position as an assistant coach at the Melbourne Storm in light of the recent developments.
He said he was not guilty of abuse, but he was guilty of infidelity and stupidity.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25479776-12335,00.html

sorry but your wrong.

I hate to sound harsh but if your going to speak with authority on any matter its best to keep up with the news.

THE investigation into the sex scandal that cost disgraced rugby league personality Matthew Johns his job will not be reopened, New Zealand police say.
Johns' media and coaching career is in tatters after the ABC's Four Corners program aired allegations about his involvement in a 2002 group sex incident in Christchurch while he was playing for Cronulla.
Johns was one of several Cronulla players who took part in the act with a 19-year-old woman.
At the time, New Zealand police investigated the woman's claims that the sex was non-consensual, but the investigation cleared all players of wrongdoing.
Detective Inspector David Long, from Christchurch police, said the original investigation involved up to 80 interviews, and was thorough and conclusive.
"I'm completely satisfied that we got full and truthful accounts at the time and that no crime was committed,'' Det Insp Long said.
"There's renewed interest now, obviously from this television program, but there's been no new information whatsoever that's come forward that changes anything.
"So as far as reopening it, it's just not going to happen.''
He said the moral issues around group sex with a teenager were best left to commentators and were not a matter for police.
"There are moral aspects to this ... but these are not for the police to consider when enforcing the law,'' Det Insp Long said.
He also said the woman involved had been in touch with him again recently regarding the case, but that contact had not altered the situation.
Johns has been stood down by the Nine Network and has quit his position as an assistant coach at the Melbourne Storm in light of the recent developments.
He said he was not guilty of abuse, but he was guilty of infidelity and stupidity

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25479776-12335,00.html

the union players:

More Sharks players present during a night of group sex seven years ago have been named as another claim about her involvement in multiple partner intercourse emerge.
Nine News named former Cronulla players Luke Branighan and Daniel Ninness as players who had some form of involvement with the woman, known only as Clare, at the Racecourse Hotel in Christchurch in 2002.
Branighan, who is now playing Super League in the UK, was allegedly in the room when Clare was having sex with former players Matthew Johns and Brett Firman.
When "Clare" gestured for another player to have sex with her after Johns and Firman, Branighan stepped forward.
The woman then reportedly knocked Branighan back and requested Johns to have sex with her again, to which Johns claimed he denied.
Nine News also revealed that former Sharks prop Daniel Ninness was in attendance on the night, but he has denied he participated in the group sex.
"I was present towards the end of the evening," Ninness said in a statement.
"I did not see any of the events said to have occurred and did not participate.”
Ninness confirmed he went back to the woman's home after she invited him to do so but did not have sex with her.
Meanwhile another claim about the past of the woman at the centre of the scandal have been reported.
Seven News reports "Clare" once had sex with two rugby union players in a nightclub toilet.
It's the latest in a series of sordid claims related to the woman.
Tania Boyd worked with the then-19-year-old at the Racecourse Hotel in Christchurch and told Nine News she did not appear at all distressed after the incident.(Read more: Sex scandal woman 'bragged about it')
"She was absolutely excited about the fact: she was bragging about it to the staff and quite willing, openly saying how she had sex with several players," Ms Boyd said.
"We were quite disgusted about it ... there was no trauma whatsoever."
The boss of both women at the time says "Clare" was a "decent, stable type with her head screwed on.
Keith Burgess, the woman's manager at the Racecourse Hotel in Christchurch, where the incident occurred, said he had sympathy for the woman but also for the sportsmen involved.(Read more: Woman in NRL scandal was 'decent')
"It's all a big bloody mess, if you ask me," Burgess said.

http://currentaffairs.ninemsn.com.au/national/814419/more-sharks-players-named-in-scandal

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
herbert, your evidence doesn't suit the moralistic agenda, don't be silly :sarcasm:

Ashamed might not be the right word on my part. But they shouldnt feel they did anything wrong if the sex was consensual.

Johns though simply could be expressing remorse becuase he wants to save his marriage and job.

And the silence of the others isnt an inication of any type of remorse. They may just be fearful of being railroaded by the media like they have seen done to johns. They have no obligation to come forward as no crime was committed , so if they choose to stay silent thats their business.

Michaelson

Juniors
Thankyou for the links herbert. I did not assume that those facts had not been reported, I just had not seen them reported myself.

As for my moralistic agenda, I don't have one. I happen to think that this case is extremely complex and raises all sorts of issues to do with attitudes toward women, both within league culture and in general, as well as the difficulties of prosecuting cases like this.

Depending on the true facts of the case it is possible that either Clare or Johns are major victims in this. Both are having their names dragged through the mud, and the whole situation is just very unfortunate. I maintain that the fact a case that would stand up in court could not be put together is not proof that nothing unseemly happened. Matty Johns by his own account apologised to Clare after it was done.

And just to reiterate what anonymoususername was saying, rape and sexual assault does not always consist of physical violence. I don't know the specific legalities, but it is possible for women to be manipulated and coerced into sex they don't want. In a situation like this, where a girl goes back for sex with two players, and other players stream into the room while it's all going on, is it really so hard to see that the matter is a bit more complex than "but she didn't fight back or scream." A naked young girl in front of 12 professional football players represents a major power imbalance.