What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McClennan GORNE

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Because some players have chosen not to perform for Bluey. He lost the dressing room a long time ago. Management does not want to see us record a record losing streak under their control.

I am sad Bluey didn't work out, as I liked his attitude and believe he had much to offer as a coach. But as soon as he had a falling out with players, regardless of whose fault it was, he had to go.

Then it's an indictment on the players. Same as Kearney. They'll bar up because they know McClennan is now copping the blame. I hope they lose the last two games , I honestly do. The players deserve to take 14th-15th, the coach does, the management does.

And everyone chill on the Mannering step down as captain stuff - he was the skipper last year of a GF side. No one had issues then.

What Bluey going does do is ensure our player recruitment isn't compromised. If he'd stayed, I doubt many would have wanted to come. If we get a Folkes, or someone like that, it's different.

I feel for Bluey, he's not going to get another job at the highest level. Back to the NZRL where failed coaches like T.Kemp go.

hitman82

Bench
Then it's an indictment on the players. Same as Kearney. They'll bar up because they know McClennan is now copping the blame. I hope they lose the last two games , I honestly do. The players deserve to take 14th-15th, the coach does, the management does.

And everyone chill on the Mannering step down as captain stuff - he was the skipper last year of a GF side. No one had issues then.

What Bluey going does do is ensure our player recruitment isn't compromised. If he'd stayed, I doubt many would have wanted to come. If we get a Folkes, or someone like that, it's different.

I feel for Bluey, he's not going to get another job at the highest level. Back to the NZRL where failed coaches like T.Kemp go.

The hilarious thing is, thanks to our latest injuries, I don't think we could win regardless of whether the players decide to try. Record losing streak is on its way people!!

Rich102

Staff member
Brian's coaching wasn't the only area of weakness this year.Recruitment , player power and a number of other back office decisions spring to mind.

Personally, I'd remove Bell, Scurrah and have Simon step down as captain to be replaced by a co captain structure..

Agree. The club needs a proper review by an independant body.
What company gets audited by it's ex-staff?

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Correct me if I'm wrong.....but Brian McClennan would have the finals ay on any recruitment. And he was happy with the squad he had.

hitman82

Bench
So what are the credentials of potential coaches?

Steve Folkes:
10 years NRL coaching experience.
56% winning ratio.
2 grand final appearances.
1 grand final win.
1 minor premiership (stripped due to cap cheating).
Dally M coach 2004.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Is Steve Folkes a potential coach? I've seen his name thrown around for a few weeks now but does he have any desire to be a head coach these days?

Rich102

Staff member
Sad day. I feel sorry for Bluey...but I don't think there was any way he was going to be able to turn this around - he had lost the player's support.
Hopefully the new coach will be able to get the team to unite because otherwise I can see us having to shed some players.
I just hope, as Reece says, that Brian isn't the only one to go. Others are just as culpable.
Cleanout time with a fresh start in 2013.

Will be a very interesting game this week. I expect to see some fight in the team.

Rich102

Staff member
The f**kin haters got their wish

I understand the bitterness Skinz. But we have to remember that The Warriors are a business and for me, as I said in another thread, the writing was on the wall when attendances fell. Look at the Warriors board of directors - this is about money not league.

hitman82

Bench
I think in the Owen Glenn era, we will see more ruthlessness than in the past. He's a hard-nosed stubborn old bastard, who won't let himself be laughed at.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Is Steve Folkes a potential coach? I've seen his name thrown around for a few weeks now but does he have any desire to be a head coach these days?

You'd think he would? He was the Dogs' coach, got embroiled in that SBW nonsense, then went to be the Windies' fitness trainer in cricket did he not? So that shows he's prepared to take roles overseas. And maybe wanted to start back with the Tigers and find a way back into head coaching.

Other options? Kearney is clearly one of them, but management would have to be really really careful appointing him. I don't think they can, just from a PR standpoint. Jason Taylor? Does it even have to be a coach who isn't employed at present...Mick Potter is back in Australia, is he not? Trent Robinson? Maybe we can find our own Michael Maguire.

Rich102

Staff member
After this I would be looking for a proven NRL track record. Not a time to be taking risks.

I still favor Bellamy. Whatever it costs. (And whomever it costs.)

Warmess

Juniors
After this I would be looking for a proven NRL track record. Not a time to be taking risks.

I still favor Bellamy. Whatever it costs. (And whomever it costs.)

Yeah, but it seems like Bellamy would be a huge risk for next season. Would a coach like Anderson/Folks/etc come in on a one year care taker deal? I highly doubt it.

Bellamy would mean that next season we'd be running with Iro/Kearney up top which is a bigger risk than with McClennan this season.

mean

Juniors

That would rule out Kearney based on that premise, but I suppose it depends what's left at the bottom of the barrel.

hitman82

Bench
You'd think he would? He was the Dogs' coach, got embroiled in that SBW nonsense, then went to be the Windies' fitness trainer in cricket did he not? So that shows he's prepared to take roles overseas. And maybe wanted to start back with the Tigers and find a way back into head coaching.

Other options? Kearney is clearly one of them, but management would have to be really really careful appointing him. I don't think they can, just from a PR standpoint. Jason Taylor? Does it even have to be a coach who isn't employed at present...Mick Potter is back in Australia, is he not? Trent Robinson? Maybe we can find our own Michael Maguire.

I'd put money against Kearney being appointed head coach. Glenn and co will see the ridiculous nature of replacing a 35% winning coach with a 22% winning one.

Folkes is the obvious choice for me. Also, his relationship with Steve Price may be helpful in luring him here. In my opinion, any proud ex-coach will always crave those glory days and want to relive them.

vvvrulz

Coach
Very surprised that he got given the chop so quickly, I still stand by that he deserved another half year at least with Kearney by his side. As poor as Bluey was, he did have a young squad and a torrid injury toll... not a good enough excuse to explain this year but good enough to get a second shot I feel.

Evil_Mush

Juniors
Disappointed, but given the way the team's been going this past month, am not in the least surprised. I have got no idea who should be new head coach, but agree it shouldn't be Kearney (though don't have an issue with him getting involved in some other support role).
We need some hard-nosed Aussies to come back and slap some mongrel/passion back into this team, both players & support staff.

Did anyone else hear Maloney on RadioSport last week say that if they lost to Penrith that he'd "hang up the boots"? Wonder if he'll stick to his word or not.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'd put money against Kearney being appointed head coach. Glenn and co will see the ridiculous nature of replacing a 35% winning coach with a 22% winning one.

Folkes is the obvious choice for me. Also, his relationship with Steve Price may be helpful in luring him here. In my opinion, any proud ex-coach will always crave those glory days and want to relive them.

Good point on Folkes and Price. Will Price still be employed by the club in 2013?

Campion

Juniors
great decision. he had to go. icing on the cake for me was his press conference saying he was happy with how the players tried hard for penrith. that was deadset the worst game of nrl i've seen all season quality wise. what was he watching!?