What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McClennan GORNE

African Monkey

First Grade
Nightmare screnario - Brian Smith. Seems to be out of favour at the Roosters, rumours of him gracefully moving on.....

Nothing wrong with Brian Smith. He's turned many clubs from bad positions into good sides. Having said that I'm sure the chances of him becoming coach are zero.

Akkerz

Juniors
Brian's coaching wasn't the only area of weakness this year.Recruitment , player power and a number of other back office decisions spring to mind.

Personally, I'd remove Bell, Scurrah and have Simon step down as captain to be replaced by a co captain structure..

Exactly this. Retain this lot and the rot continues.
I'd also be showing Ackland & Iro the way out but I suppose someone has to 'drive the bus' meantime so maybe more changes before next season.

Warmess

Juniors
Nightmare screnario - Brian Smith. Seems to be out of favour at the Roosters, rumours of him gracefully moving on.....

Smith has a decent record during his first year as a coach, doesn't he? I thought it was long term he starts turning sour. Could be an option to bring him in as a caretaker while we get Bellamy. If we are seriously chasing Bellamy that would probably be my preferred option, but Bellamy seems too good to be true, and Smith probably wouldn't take a 1 year gig.

WarriorDefence

Juniors

Jim Dymock is also out of the question, last week he turned down the NSW job to stay at the dogs under Des Hasler.

If the club wants results it needs Bellamy.

That was the official line on dymock but I don't know about that one. Why would you turn down the origin job ( which reportedly pays $400,000 a yr) to stay on as assistant at a club where u are no chance of getting the top job? Also he knew he would have to give up that job before he applied for the nsw job- so what changed? I wouldn't be surprised if it was a smoke screen- seems pretty convenient that he withdraws from the nsw job last week then a head coaching job opens up this week.
Pure speculation on my behalf.

Not enough Ando love here, does anyone remember 2009? Thats more recent than 2004 cheating dogs days aye? Plus Ando would take up a year surely he is wasted in the media

Rich102

Staff member
Anyone see the TV interview with Kearney where he was asked if he was going to work with Bluey? He said he would have to think about it and smiled. Obviously knew already.

Dymock is unproven and man that would be the ultimate slap in the face to Bluey if Dymock gets on board as head coach. I'm against it straight up based on his record.

Anderson for 2013 is the only realistic choice as he has no coaching job and has some radio / tv spots

Folkes has been out of the NRL a bit longer and it would take him more years to catch up to say Anderson.

Bellamy wouldnt be an option as he seems like a bloke that would see out his contract at the Storm (Despite other coaches)

Sheens I wouldnt mind as an option too but depending on his contract that seems like a dream too.

FO Kearney, FO Kidwell, FO Dymock going forward is key NOT backwards

Izz

Bench
Folkes has been out of the NRL a bit longer and it would take him more years to catch up to say Anderson.
Folkes is currently assistant coach at the Dragons, and 2010/2011 was with the Tigers.

If anything, i'd say he might be looking at the Dragons head coaching job, because Steve Price must be on shaky ground, too.

hitro

Juniors
Wayne Bennet could be a possibility, his sugar daddy Tinkler at Newcastle is going broke.

Micistm

Bench
TBH unsure if I wanted Bluey to get another year or not, but do feel sad about the way this has happened, and when it's happened.
And also angry. Would like Scurrah and Bell to be sharing the same Taxi out, and a fresh start with some Aussies in charge and ditch this bullshit boys club they have.
You also get a strong feeling that player power needs putting in its place too.