What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McGregor extension

Prometheus

Juniors
I hope the club is not even contemplating an extension. McMuppet was not the reason we played the way we did in those finals. He has no clue as evidenced by his reactions during the broncos final. We have a squad that can challenge now he is the stumbling block.

So all our failures are his fault, but he has no hand in our successes?

ouryears

Bench
He’s just had his best year at the Dragons and got us within a point of a prelim. Of course he would want to discuss an extension now.

I’d like to think any decision about our future coach won’t commence till late next year but the usual lines get trotted out that the players want to know who the coach will be before they decide their own futures. That’s what Mary’s manager will be saying.

I would like to think the new Board would explore several options to be our coach in 2020. And i’d like to think if Mary wants to be considered one of those options, he should be given a goal to to exceed what the team achieved this year.

That’s a prelim or better.
Came 6th
Lost 6 of the last 9
Lost by 44 to 2 and 38 to 0
Went from 1st to scraping in.
Went nowhere
It was another year of failure
6th out of 16 is dismal
There should be no discussion of extension

WepnutV

Juniors
Well done to Mary. extension well deserved. He's building a good culture at the club and the team is playing a competitive and entertaining brand of footy and building towards the future. This club was on a downward spiral before he took over.. He also cops that much hate and criticism from the fans off this club, but keeps putting in, I take my hat off to him..

Well done to Mary. extension well deserved. He's building a good culture at the club and the team is playing a competitive and entertaining brand of footy and building towards the future. This club was on a downward spiral before he took over.. He also cops that much hate and criticism from the fans off this club, but keeps putting in, I take my hat off to him..
Sorry, it has absolutely nothing to do with hate.
Criticism has been mostly deserved and above all, the underlying issue is how he got the job in the first place???
He was unqualified to be the St. George FG coach.
Sorry again - what culture is he building? End of season fades?
Choking in big games?
Just look at the two teams that went around today.
Both coaches are technicians and perfectionists.
Their total focus is all about winning Premierships.
Making the 8 means nothing.
That is the culture they have built which is a lot different to ours.
Potentially, we have a premiership winning squad but absolutely the wrong coach to get the job done.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Your entitled to your opinion and I stick by mine that Mary is a 50/50 bog average coach. Sure he's a hard worker, good bloke and a great ex player, but that does not make him the right or best coach.
The only thing he's building is walls to shelter & protect the boys club. I understand he's popular with the players and has given his all to the club, but I feel an extension is not worthy at this stage. Surely the club must wait and fully access the consequences.

Last edited:

dragon thomo

Juniors
Wepnut if you kept making the same same mistakes at work time after time you would get the sack.
That is the issue i have with him.

ouryears

Bench
Yeah yeah yeah
Sure sure sure
He can go coach under 8s
That’s his level
Mr 50% wins and losses
That’s failure

ouryears

Bench
Its always about winning a premiership,though you speak as if its easy. Why aren't you coach?
Winning 2 from final 10 games year after year
Total fade outs
Losing by 40 points
Ignoring young guns till forced to use them through other injuries
Then discovering like all of us wrote many months ago that the young guns should have been there from the start
Not improving Dufty whatsoever
Not fixing Aitkens weaknesses
Persisting with Nighty

This ain’t a good coach
It’s a hopeless out of his depth coach
He is incompetent
Has to go ASAP

FlameThrower

Bench
Can’t see any real reason to be talking about an extension right now. 3 years straight we start strong the fall away badly. 2018 was a ‘what if’ season. What if we had Widdop / Vaughn and JDB fully fit and playing. What if we did not drop the Eels and Dogs game - that may have clinched us the minor premiership. What if we blooded juniors earlier and rested our rep players mid season? On early season form we should have played last night in the grand final.

Forster Dragon

Juniors
No need for extension to be discussed at this early stage.It is not as though Clubs will be knocking at the door to sign Mary.
Just sit back and see how he performs and keep options open.
Personally I feel as though he has had more than enough time.

getsmarty

Immortal
Its always about winning a premiership,though you speak as if its easy. Why aren't you coach?

No its not easy..but certain teams seem to always be close..Storm/Roosters....etc...even Manly had a great period in the late 00's ...If your aim is not to win a premiership, then why are you competing ?

That is the whole point.

The season was unfortunately a fail in the sense that we should have finished in the top 4 based on our cattle and our start to the season.

Had this occurred we probably beat Souths.

Injuries may have prevented the team from beating Easts but it would have been a very interesting game.

At full strength and under full steam we may have reached and even won the grand final.

When you set the bar of acceptable goals/standards around your ankles, a week 2 appearance in the finals is a raging success.

The time for change has arrived.

God please don’t punish me with an extension of Mary’s contract.

Gareth67

First Grade
For pity sake don’t sign him ! If we must have him for another season then that will be enough - don’t prolong the agony , he will not win the Dragons a f**king chook raffle let alone a bluudy premiership. The man must go to where his destiny really is - painting the Harbour Bridge , it is good honest work and he will be employed for the rest of his days !

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Because he and the rest of us know we are not up to it.
The problem is, McGregor refuses to acknowledge he isn’t as well.

You are entitled to your opinion, however, most of us have higher expectations of the team.

We must aim to win the comp, aiming for second is not good enough.

Old Timer

Coach
So how did you think his original job interview went?

Something like this

OK Mary you have applied for the head coaching role and with what you have in your CV where do you think the team will finish join the comp with you as coach?
Well I think we can finish just outside the 8 for 3 or 4 years and then we might just fall into the top 8 but you can forget about top 4 or winning the comp or anything outrageous as that.

or

Yep give me the job and the team I want and I will deliver you some really hot results and a premiership wouldn't be out of the question.

or

I can deliver what others have been unable to do since Bennett left
Oops hang on a minute I have been part of all that, shit I take that back it's all chinless' fault.