What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McKinnon our long term fullback

bartman

Immortal
Was a better fullback than Hayne in my opinion ;-). Even though Hayne is the more naturally talented (attacking) player by some margin.

Hayne should by rights become a great centre, but was pretty woeful in that position when tried. Hence the dilemma with having to find another spot for him, either on the wing (which by reports he didn't like) or by shifting Burt. I'd love Hayne to do the hard work at training and grow into being capable of that centre role in the next few years.

yy_cheng

Coach
I too think Hayne would make a great centre. ATM, he needs someone to know how to use him, i.e. decent halves to set him up. He did well for Australia in the centres against NZ.

I don't think you can expect him to be able to create opportunities like Gasnier did when he has only had 1 year at centre in a crappy team. He has to potential to but our coaching staff probably didn't know how to coach him. Plus, we don't have any centres in the club that could teach him as an apprentice after Tahu had left.

Maybe he should get a Centres for Dummies book? It would be more info than Hages/Daisy teaching him.

bartman

Immortal
Agree with the lack of skill in the joint last year to be able to coach Hayne into the centre switch. And Tahu kind of did it successfully, and his example and mentoring would have been handy, but it wasn't to be.

I just hope DA or someone he gets in to help with the backline (in preference to Joey kicking a few balls around with the halves) will help Hayne develop in the next few years. And that could work wonders for Inu and the younger guys coming through after them too (Tautai etc).

There's nothing stopping Hayne and Mateo working on and coming up with a good attacking combination, regardless of what position either of them in playing at the time (centre/fullback/wing with back row/lock/five-eighth).

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I don't get the Tahu thing. He was not a good centre the amount of times he went on his own or provided awful passes to his outside player was numerous. He was injured enough to forget he even played there and the only reason I think anyone thought he was any good was the shoulder charges.

Bazal

Post Whore
Do you guys regret that you got rid of him?

Personally, it's a little yes and a little no. Hayne hasn't really made the role his own, and he sure hasn't shown the aptitude for it that McKinnon did. On the other hand, Hayne is a far more skilled player in terms of his overall game, even if he does run the ball back like pre-pubescent girl most of the time that's something that can be coached. If Hayne lives up to his potential at fullback then he'll be a great one for us. I still think he's a better outside back than fullback though, and McKinnon at 1 with Hayne at wing or centre would be ideal.

forward pass

Coach
I don't get the Tahu thing. He was not a good centre the amount of times he went on his own or provided awful passes to his outside player was numerous. He was injured enough to forget he even played there and the only reason I think anyone thought he was any good was the shoulder charges.

Surely you are kidding. He was brilliant 99% of the time and all you want to remember is the 1% and the injuries which are actually beyond his control!:roll:

nzwarriors60

Juniors
Yea I agree Hanye is proberly the more naturally talented attacking player and has the potentional to be a great fullback, but he just doesn't play with the same passion as Mckinnon and i think Mckinnon has better defence and is safer. But yea Wade does have his occasional brain snap.

bartman

Immortal
He did technically make the transition, but never really really became a "natural" centre for mine. For example I think he remained a rep winger and nothing else in selectors eyes?

Tahu did show the ability to make bursts and break tackles from centre though, something Hayne sadly was not able to emulate in his half-season of attempts in the position.

yy_cheng

Coach

The Ins and then away, the flicks to Inu to score, the big hits in defense which sparked the team, the tries out wide with some deft footwork, slam dunking.

His biggest problem was that he was injury prone. Towards the end, I thought he was close to being able to knockoff Gaz as #1 centre (if he stayed and played a few more years), at least #2.

bartman

Immortal
I'm happy with Hayne being our fullback this year, and hope that he will be better on the basis of the evidence (media quotes etc) of increased maturity gained during his Fiji WC experience.

But let's be honest, he didn't exactly set the world alight at the back for us (especially with his defensive reads), and needs to improve substantially if he is to reach his undoubted potential as a (marquee-earning) player.

yy_cheng

Coach
Bartman, I think you needn't worry now we have DA.

If he doesn't perform, he'll know it.

How much was that PARRA SPRAY JACKET again????

lucablight

First Grade
Mckinnon was merely solid for us. Nothing special. He seemed to lack the X-factor he picked up at the warriors. Hayne showed so much more in 2007 than Mckinnon ever did for us.

This is probably an unpopular opinion but IMO Hohaia played better than Mckinnon last year.

spiderdan

Bench
i think that with tahu the thing was that when he did stuff well it was abnormally good so those things stick out in peoples' minds. there were plenty of times that he tried those flashy passes and he'd lose the ball, get taken into touch, etc. he was far from crap though.

re: hayne - the bloke is a fullback. he may not charge the ball back at absolute top speed (something that karmichael hunt does do but is now critisised for) but he still makes better return metres than most. the bloke also chimes into a backline at the right time as an extra playmaker and has a great offload. his ability and playng style are best suited to fullback not centre and is wasting his potential by being left on the wing.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
re: hayne ...the bloke also chimes into a backline at the right time as an extra playmaker and has a great offload.

Hayne is not as good a playmaker as Burt can be. His support play is on par at best. Offloading is a skill that is better suited to a centre.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Hayne is not as good a playmaker as Burt can be. His support play is on par at best. Offloading is a skill that is better suited to a centre.

Totally disagree. Burts best asset is his support play and scoots from dummy half. I've never really seen Burt set up anything, however i've seen him finish plenty.

Hayne is a playmaker. His ability to break the tackle, offload, pass are all traits which constitute a playmaker in my book, Hayne has all of those in abundance. His support play is also terrific, add all these factors up as well as being able to take bombs Hayne should be our number 1 fullback, it just makes sense. Burts position after 10 years is still not safe, he should be offloaded.

Latest posts