What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McLinden

Kris_man

Bench
IanHindmarsh said:
But where does the rumour come in where getting Fielden?

Didn't it just start by somebody saying, Fielden would be a good signing, or Elliott was the founder of Fielden therefor we have a good chance of signing him.

He's under contract he has no intentions of leaving his contract till it expires then he will consider a move to the NRL.
the rumour may have started that way, i'm not sure. but Robbie_D is predicting Fielden to sign with the Raiders - he was already right about McLinden, after most of us (including myself) wrote him off as being a complete goose. Matt Elliott has said more than once that he wants to keep contract negotiations private from now on, so that would explain why Stuart Fielden's name was not mentioned in the Mark McLinden press conference.

mike83au

Juniors
My little bobs worth....

I agree with people who say that although it is really sad to see him leaving, he has had 6 years to cement himself as a consistent player who would guide us around the park, week in week out. IMO, I don't think he has done that. So i do think it is time for a change. It's good that we haven't shut the door on him completely and that he left on amicable terms.

He's been expressing an interest in going to the UK for years now so I'm not sure that our management are to blame for Macca leaving. I mean, we don't know the terms of his contract - so if the only way he was going to sign for us was to include a clause in his contract that let him go to the UK...

I must say though, I am concerned with the number of 1st graders that have left us this year and may leave next year as well.

But this year was a disaster for us on the playing field. We were horrible in attack and I'm sure you would agree that numbers 6, 7 & 9 are really important when near the opposition line. Next season we will have new combinations in 6 & 7, while hopefully Withers will add a bit more than Woolford at number 9, if he gets the chance. So until the team actually take the field, I remain optimistic that a bit of fresh blood is exactly what we need.

thickos

First Grade
mike83au said:
My little bobs worth....

I agree with people who say that although it is really sad to see him leaving, he has had 6 years to cement himself as a consistent player who would guide us around the park, week in week out. IMO, I don't think he has done that. So i do think it is time for a change. It's good that we haven't shut the door on him completely and that he left on amicable terms.

He's been expressing an interest in going to the UK for years now so I'm not sure that our management are to blame for Macca leaving. I mean, we don't know the terms of his contract - so if the only way he was going to sign for us was to include a clause in his contract that let him go to the UK...

I must say though, I am concerned with the number of 1st graders that have left us this year and may leave next year as well.

But this year was a disaster for us on the playing field. We were horrible in attack and I'm sure you would agree that numbers 6, 7 & 9 are really important when near the opposition line. Next season we will have new combinations in 6 & 7, while hopefully Withers will add a bit more than Woolford at number 9, if he gets the chance. So until the team actually take the field, I remain optimistic that a bit of fresh blood is exactly what we need.

Well said.

Macca is an exciting player and I have loved watching him play for us. Perhaps, however, it is time for the 'Mac' era to end.

The club can get through this. 2004 has been a disaster, but the people that wear the jersey come and go all the time. For me, its about building a winning culture and re-establishing the Raiders as a force, something that has been eroded ever since Tim Sheens left.

Maybe 'the broom' will be the best thing for the place.

Um Jammer Lammy

Juniors
Well I just found out about the news of McLinden leaving and I'm sooooo gutted he was my favourite player by far, I hate today, I hate season 2004. I also blame management but more so coaching, he may have had 6 years to cement himself a spot but he he shitted from pillar to post in those 6 years and has had to play with Brett Finch and Brad Drew in the last 4 which wouldn't help anyone. I doubt he would have gone this year if we kept Wiki and Davico.

Its a shame what he might have been if we had different coaches and no Finch or Drew. However I have little doubt he will be dynamite in the super league. If the Fielden rumour is true it will soften the blow. I rate this season as a disaster on and off the feild however next year I will still pull out my Raiders flag I got way back in 1992 and sit tight through what I hope is the start of a new era for the Raiders. As I'm sick of time and bad decisions eroding the grandeur of a once special and successful club.

When its Elliotts time to go under the microscope when his contract is up I hope like crazy Laurie Daley applies for the job because I noticed in his commentary in the latter part of the season he seems interested in the Raiders again after a season or two of bagging them.

jed

First Grade
I still hold out a hope that Macca's game will improve when exposed to different coaching techniques, and that like Dorothy, he'll come to realise that "there's no place like home"

thickos

First Grade
McLinden mounts UK raid
By Dean Ritchie
November 9, 2004

CANBERRA halfback Mark McLinden yesterday quit the NRL to join England's Super League, saying: "The time is right."

McLinden, 25, walked away after six years at the Raiders to sign a three-year deal with the London Broncos.

Canberra and McLinden parted amicably although the player still had two years remaining on his contract.

Raiders coach Matt Elliott has four contenders for McLinden's halfback position - new buy Lincoln Withers, veteran signing Jason Smith and young Raiders Todd Carney or Terry Campese, nephew of Wallaby great David.

"It has been something I have wanted to do since I started playing," McLinden said last night.

"I wanted to do it while I was midway through my career. I didn't want to leave it any longer.

"But it was a tough decision.

"I have lived in Canberra all my life and don't know much different.

"And I have become very close to the Canberra fans over the years."

McLinden, who leaves for England in three weeks, said he would consider a return to the NRL at age 28 when his London contract expires.

"When I get back I still think I would have another three years left in me," he said. "The perfect scenario would be a return to the Raiders."

Raiders coach Matt Elliott said McLinden had a clause in his contract allowing him to leave for an English club.

"The whole thing was very transparent and amicable," Elliott said. "I would have preferred he stay but I can understand Mark's decision.

"At the end of the day Mark needed a change and he was in a position to take this opportunity.

"One day we expect to see him back here at the Raiders."

From today's CT:

McLinden latest Raider to jump ship
By Peter Fitzgerald Rugby league
Tuesday, 9 November 2004

The revolving door that is the Canberra Raiders' playing roster turned another cog yesterday when Mark McLinden announced he was leaving the club to take up a three-year deal with the London Broncos.

McLinden, 25, still had two years remaining on his contract with the Raiders but exercised a clause in it which stated he would be granted an early release if he opted to fulfil a lifelong dream and take up a position with an English-based club.

It is believed the halfback has also demanded a clause in his London contract that he can return to the National Rugby League at any stage if he so desires.

While the decision came as a shock to most involved in the football community, it was one McLinden almost made 12 months ago.

The former West Belconnen junior signed a three-year deal with the Raiders at the end of the 2003 season, but only after long and in-depth negotiations with English club, Castleford.

However, after seven years of first-grade service to Canberra, McLinden decided the timing was finally right to pursue his dream of playing league in England.

"I've been working toward this for a few years now," he said yesterday. "I've had a desire to travel and play overseas. For me, it was something I was always going to do.

"I was very close to going to Castleford last year but that didn't eventuate.

"My manager spoke to a few clubs this time around, they got back to us and within 24 hours, something was put in place."

McLinden had been in negotiations with "a few" English Super League clubs over the past month and decided upon the Broncos only 10 days ago.

In doing so, he becomes the sixth Raider in the past six months to leave the club under indifferent circumstances.

James Evans (quit football), Brad Drew (Huddersfield Giants), Luke Davico (Wigan), Ruben Wiki (New Zealand Warriors) and Joel Monaghan (Sydney Roosters) have all departed from the Raiders port for next season.

McLinden dropped the bombshell to his teammates at training yesterday afternoon.

For them, the announcement came as a shock.

Even for the departee, the speed of the decision came as a surprise.

But he has no doubt he is at the right stage of his playing career to make such a life-changing verdict.

"I've always had the desire to go to England, yet not so much at the end of my career," McLinden said. "I'd much rather go over there, try it, and hopefully come back.

"Plus, I'm single and it's a lot easier to get up and move if you don't have a wife and kids, so I hear."

McLinden has only recently returned from a six-week overseas adventure with two of his best mates.

The deal with London was made by his manager while he was away but McLinden insists he did not meet up with the Broncos whilst holidaying and that he hadn't just caught the travel bug, he'd "always had it".

When McLinden first started out in the NRL in 1998 as an 18-year-old, he was touted as the next big thing to grace the then Australian Rugby League competition.

After waiting in line behind legendary Canberra halfback, Ricky Stuart, he was finally awarded the opportunity to partner Laurie Daley in the halves.

After winning the Rookie Of The Year that season, the football world was McLinden's oyster.

Part of the reason for him leaving Canberra, McLinden admitted yesterday, was the fact he never reached that potential which had him touted as a future Australian captain and an all-time great halfback.

"The way I started my career in the NRL, I was hoping to play rep football and had all these plans but they haven't come to fruition," he said.

"So this is Plan B. Go overseas, play football, and enjoy that side of it"

McLinden is expected to slot straight into the No7 jersey with London, after the cashed-up club recently lost the services of boom halfback Dennis Moran, who will join Luke Davico at Wigan for the next two years.

Raiders coach Matt Elliott said that while he wasn't "over the moon" about McLinden's departure, it would be hypocritical of him to try and persuade him out of doing something he had always held close to his heart.

"I had the opportunity to spend some time in Europe as a young bloke and I fully understand Mark's ambition to want to do that," Elliott said.

"I knew he was going to go. Last year I knew we could persuade him to stay around, this time I knew he was going to go."

McLinden didn't rule out one day returning to the Raiders, something which greatly pleased Elliott.

"I fully expect him to return," the coach said.

"I think that's a fair expectation to have [and] I think Mark has a similar expectation."

skeepe

Immortal
I assume he's saying that he knew when it came around this time that he wouldn't be able to persuade him to stay, not that he knew throughout the season.

Bay56

First Grade
When McLinden re-signed in 2003 he stated that he did so because he thought the Raiders were on to something big and "I want to be part of that" ..

He indicated on 2KY this morning that he never really knew what is role was in the team and that he thought his development as a player could most probably be best served elsewhere.

jed

First Grade
Bay56 said:
He indicated on 2KY this morning that he never really knew what is role was in the team and that he thought his development as a player could most probably be best served elsewhere.

What did he say that gave you that impression? Unfortunately I don't listen to 2KY of a morning, so I missed it.

Bay56

First Grade
jed said:
Bay56 said:

What did he say that gave you that impression? Unfortunately I don't listen to 2KY of a morning, so I missed it.

that is not my impression ... that is what he said ... ask 2KY for a transcript.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Greenraider said:
"I knew he was going to go. Last year I knew we could persuade him to stay around, this time I knew he was going to go."
If he knew, why didnt he use carney more?

more than solid point, they also would have know Drew was not going to be around so the question begs again, why wasnt Carney blooded?

jed

First Grade
Bay56 said:
jed said:
Bay56 said:

that is not my impression ... that is what he said ... ask 2KY for a transcript.

Thanks Bay. Try the other side of your bed tomorrow morning. :lol:

raiders_boy

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
Greenraider said:

more than solid point, they also would have know Drew was not going to be around so the question begs again, why wasnt Carney blooded?
Look at what skeepe said up there^

Elliott is saying that he knew he couldnt get him to stay after the negotiations had taken place, which was only a couple of weeks ago.

It's not like he knew he was going to go in the middle of the season, cos he had just signed the new deal too...

Raider_69

Post Whore
raiders_boy said:
Raider_69 said:
Greenraider said:

Elliott is saying that he knew he couldnt get him to stay after the negotiations had taken place, which was only a couple of weeks ago.

It's not like he knew he was going to go in the middle of the season, cos he had just signed the new deal too...

But that still dosnt explain drew, he was ALWAYS going, he was NEVER going to be here for 05. Yet we persisted with him :?

raiders_boy

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
raiders_boy said:
Raider_69 said:
Greenraider said:

But that still dosnt explain drew, he was ALWAYS going, he was NEVER going to be here for 05. Yet we persisted with him :?
Yeah i see your point... Drew never even WANTED to be there. I dunnno though. Drew had a couple of good games towards the back end of the season, but I'll never understand why we used Carney for a couple of games, then shunned him back to reggies...

Latest posts