What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McLinden

hrundi99

First Grade
Because he thought Drew's experience would have paid the most dividends in the current season.

Throwing Carney into the team in the hope that he'd help us make the semis would have been inappropriate. At the start of season 2004 it was still viable that Drew could be our starting halfback.

Now that the cards have been shuffled, we know who we have for next year.

Our halves are now Smith, Carney, Campese, and Withers.

Kris_man

Bench
the principle of putting a guy in just to "blood " him, to me is stupid. if i was a coach, i definitely wouldn't be blooding anyone. you pick whoever you think are your best 17 players, you don't worry about peripheral factors such as trying to build up a player's experience. maybe when you're highly successful you can afford that luxury (the Australian cricket team is a good example), but until then you pick whoever you think are the players most likely to get you a win.
if you want to claim that Brad Drew was not one of our best 17, and Carney was, then i completely agree with you - i think Elliott got it wrong by putting Drew in.

Raider Azz

Bench
Carney was brought in for those few games because of injuries. Elliot was even quoted as saying he had brought Carney in a little sooner than he was originally going to, but had no choice due to injuries. I really don't think we would have done any better with Carney in the sqaud at the back-end of the season.

I believe Carney will get plenty of chances this season, especially with McLinden gone.

Kris_man

Bench
hrundi99 said:
Throwing Carney into the team in the hope that he'd help us make the semis would have been inappropriate
i definitely disagree on this point - Carney was playing much better in PL than Drew was. and experience is overrated. actually, that gives me an idea for my next 7's essay...
raiders_boy said:
Drew had a couple of good games towards the back end of the season
Drew was mediocre in the last couple of games. his kicking game was as bad as it ever was, tho he did look a little threatening with the ball. a little.

raiders_boy

Juniors
Kris_man said:
if you want to claim that Brad Drew was not one of our best 17, and Carney was, then i completely agree with you - i think Elliott got it wrong by putting Drew in.
That's what i was getting at

jed

First Grade
Kris_man said:
the principle of putting a guy in just to "blood " him, to me is stupid.
Kris_man said:
you pick whoever you think are your best 17 players, you don't worry about peripheral factors such as trying to build up a player's experience.
Agreed 100%. Perhaps when you are down to selecting two players that are otherwise balanced, such as a young kid and someone who is suffering injuries, blooding the youngster isn't a bad idea, but they should never be brought in at the expense of a fit player in good form.

"Oh well, at least we're blooding young players, it'll pay off in the long run" is a cop out, it's trying to put a positive spin on a negative situation.

Oh shit, I'm beginning to sound like Bay. #-o

edabomb

First Grade
What is to be gained from throwing an 18yr old into the deep end when you have no real realistic chance at winning the comp?? Carney deserves to start a season in first grade and build from there, not be thrown in at the end of one with nothing to gain. The way the Knights blooded Johns in round 1 1994.

Kris_man

Bench
edabomb said:
What is to be gained from throwing an 18yr old into the deep end when you have no real realistic chance at winning the comp??
it's got nothing to do with him being an 18yr old. all that matters is that we needed a halfback, and he was the best one we had - start of season, end of season, whatever, it doesn't matter.

Raider_69

Post Whore
edabomb said:
What is to be gained from throwing an 18yr old into the deep end when you have no real realistic chance at winning the comp?? Carney deserves to start a season in first grade and build from there, not be thrown in at the end of one with nothing to gain. The way the Knights blooded Johns in round 1 1994.

when you cant win the comnp it means you have nothing left to lose and everything to gain, starting fresh you have EVERYTHING to lose. Had he been given a good run last season he would start this season knowing what to expect and a tad more experienced, he wouldnt have to adapt to the pace of NRL footy cause he would already be adapted.

It boogles the mind as to why this didnt happen

hrundi99

First Grade
Carney needs a full pre-season in the halves with the 1st grade squad to really adapt properly.

Let's hope he gets one this off-season.

SOULS 04

Juniors
yeh he needs to be there all year and i hope he is

i'd rather carney and withers and have smith at lock

sydraider

First Grade
Its a pity management couldnt throw bulgarelli in a package deal!

Im sorry to see macca go but i think the broom has been used, realistically we havent looked like a premiership contender (apart from 2003) for a number of years now.
With new faces and a lot of promising youth on the way up, this could be a dawn of a new age for the raiders, will be awesome too if the fielden rumours are correct.
Im gonna give management and elliot the benefit of the doubt and wait and see how we travel in 2005, its not as if we were really going anywhere the way things were.
I do hope it is a carney/smith halves combination in 2005!

Mullins_y2k

Juniors
I can not describe how upset I am about this :( :(

Macca has been my fav player for years and this news came out of nowhere. I almost cried, its a sad day

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Chief_Chujo said:
Tidus Raider said:
He has guided our PL team to the GF in 2003...

He was playing SG Ball in 2003. One of the reasons I was dumbfounded by people wanting him as starting half in 04(Way to big a gap between SG Ball and FG to jump in one year).

That;s right it was Jace van Dyk in reggies along with Campo.

Didnt our SG ball side win the competition that year or the previous year?

I heard it first off Ken Suclife. (No idea how to spell it) To be honest I was stunned, stunned! If we sign Fielden it all makes sense and will be a good trade if you can call it one! If someone can tell me why Fielden would be released from his club then I will believe the Fielden Rumours!

Prodigiousman

Juniors
raiders_lover_18 said:
I heard it first off Ken Suclife. (No idea how to spell it) To be honest I was stunned, stunned! If we sign Fielden it all makes sense and will be a good trade if you can call it one! If someone can tell me why Fielden would be released from his club then I will believe the Fielden Rumours!

You mean 'old sexy eyes... the male model from Mudgee!'!!!

Latest posts