What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne born player to debut tonight

Loudstrat

Coach
Something I'm curious about: what's the go with his Origin eligibility? Uncharted territory here. Does he get to play for whoever he wants/whoever picks him first?
Obviously he is eligible for Queensland.

He should be in eligible.
I have never heard of that place. Is it near Bowraville?

If Kiwi born and Fiji born players can be NSW or QLD why can't a Victorian born?
Because it doesnt go on where you are born
And harsh to exclude him from 50k a game payments.
Serves him right for being a Victorian who plays for Melboring!

Seriously, if he played SG Ball for the Raiders, then he's a Blue.

juanfarkall

Coach
Good luck to the kid.
Looked a little nervous but he will be better for the run and unlike Quinn does not appear to be a grub.

drake

First Grade
Good stuff! Bring on more Victorians that play real football.

If he ever gets to Origin standard, if Queensland get PNG, we get Vic.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Tahu and Wallace were Melbourne born...

I'm suspecting he has come out of the Junior system down there though?

EDIT: Yep, out of the SE Titans, played U/15 for Vic too.

Last edited:

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Has he ever played rugby league before?
Doesnt look like it.

only 19...with the whole of Victorian rugby league on his shoulders. made some mistakes but also showed some real potential. More to come - from Mahe & some other up-and-coming Vic-born players.

LESStar58

Referee
Something I'm curious about: what's the go with his Origin eligibility? Uncharted territory here. Does he get to play for whoever he wants/whoever picks him first?

Because he played SG Ball, a NSWRL sanctioned comp, he is eligible for NSW. They talked about it during the telecast.

Won't be playing FG any time soon though!

Son of Minto

Bench
Because he played SG Ball, a NSWRL sanctioned comp, he is eligible for NSW. They talked about it during the telecast.

Same for Richard Kennar, who has played for a couple of NSW rep sides and Young Tonumaipea who played for the NSW u/20's. Tonumaipea is a strange one, born in Samoa, raised in Victoria, eligible for NSW.

I'm guessing this would also make all the WA Reds SG Ball players eligible for NSW? Worst rule.

Evenflow

Bench
SG Ball for Canberra Raiders. Does this come into it? Do Melbourne have any teams for U18's to play in or do they all have to head north to learn the game?

He played for Victoria under 15's and 18's beforehe went to Canberra for a couple of years so he didn't have to go north to "learn the game" As he was obviously very adept at it before he left.....

Now where is El dribble that said there'd never be a born and bred Melbourne player to run out for the Storm? :lol:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Storm SG Ball started in 2010, he played 2009 hence Canberra. Good to see at long last.

Surprised to hear the soo RUle about nswrl comp teams in other states. Guess we may well watch WA and Victoria players playing for nsw in the future to go with the kiwi's, Fijians and whoever else has visited the opera house.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Same for Richard Kennar, who has played for a couple of NSW rep sides and Young Tonumaipea who played for the NSW u/20's. Tonumaipea is a strange one, born in Samoa, raised in Victoria, eligible for NSW.

I'm guessing this would also make all the WA Reds SG Ball players eligible for NSW? Worst rule.

If NSWRL is investing in them, and their development, why shouldnt they be eligible to play for the NSWRL Blues in SOO?

If the QRL wants them, then they should have tried to get them to play in their development competitions...

Perth Red

Post Whore
If NSWRL is investing in them, and their development, why shouldnt they be eligible to play for the NSWRL Blues in SOO?

How are nswrl investing in them? Storm/WARL are funding them. Flights are cheaper and travel times less, that's the main reason.

jonno_knights

Juniors
How are nswrl investing in them? Storm/WARL are funding them. Flights are cheaper and travel times less, that's the main reason.

So providing them with a competition to play in isnt investing in them?

I'd be very suprised if HM, SG Ball, Bundy Cup, and NSW Cup are entirely funded by the clubs playing in them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not really, the competition was there, not like they created it for the benefit of these two interstate clubs. Not that I'm knocking it, great that we are fielding a jnr team out of WA. We've had 8 SG Ball players graduate to Toyota Cup so it has been a great success for giving WA Jnrs a pathway to the NRL. I go and watch all our home games and it is great to see the talent of the future in SG Ball and amazed at how well coached and prepared they are for young kids.

Latest posts