What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne can get farked!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Hmmm... the complexities of a troubled mind. Its not just the Melbourne forwards who are noted for their defensiveness.

Stormwarning, you seem to have a lot on your mind. Good luck.

2 True Blues

Coach
I think stormwarnings thread was good. Good luck to them down there. It's a start and Rugby League should be a national game. Well done.....:clap: :clap:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I think stormwarnings thread was good.
His post was good too. ;-)

We know that Melbourne League supporters have to put up with a lot. The AFL are definitely quite active is trying to stuff up the Titans on the Gold Coast. I can but imagine what they get up to in their own backyard.

I'm just wary of these perceptions when the broader debate of expansion gets confused with normal cross-fan rivalry.

Father Ted

First Grade
The Preacher said:
Like a comb in his sock ??? :lol: Beautiful, Rev.Ted, Stanley was the champion of the gear stewards. Never a mark on him. The memories, only those of our vintage got to see great moments like those. Wooden seats at Kogarah, Big Ben pies, Chang & Billy, I'd better stop, the desk is rising !!:oops:

Don't forget the BRYL CREAM in the hair . And he was the only guy at the end of the game to still have a pure white jersey LOL

Stormwarning[c]

Juniors
Thanks for the comments and no I'm not confused about the expansion debate v 'normal cross-fan rivalry' it was posted that Melbourne 'shouldn't' be in the comp, so I replied.

I've some great banter at grounds across the country with rival supporters which at the end of the day is what makes OUR game so fricken good. ;) :)

Father Ted

First Grade
Willow said:
His post was good too. ;-)

We know that Melbourne League supporters have to put up with a lot. The AFL are definitely quite active is trying to stuff up the Titans on the Gold Coast. I can but imagine what they get up to in their own backyard.

I'm just wary of these perceptions when the broader debate of expansion gets confused with normal cross-fan rivalry.

Taking off my Saints hat for a second , League in Melbourne has to be the Mount Everest of sport . Melbourne is the Vatican/Mecca of Aussie rules I still believe News who have a vested interest in League and the Storm don't do enough for them down there . More paper space , league in prime daytime/evening slots etc . Btw what the Kangaroos are trying to do to the Gold Goast is mean spirited and smacks of fear .

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Father Ted said:
Btw what the Kangaroos are trying to do to the Gold Goast is mean spirited and smacks of fear .
The move to stop Carrara being rectangular in 2007 was an ill-conceived attempt to stuff things up. Ron Clarke, the AFL lackey mayor simply has not got the numbers on Council.

The Kangaroos proposal is doomed if they try and push it too early. AFL is several years behind League on the GC.

There's a debate with an AFLer called 'Hoops' here in the NRL forum. He was trying to argue that the Brisbane Bears were a success on the Gold Coast. This is despite the fact that Skase was run out of town and the Bears were a financial disaster playing in front of dwindling crowds.

Hoops based his assessment on Skase building Carrara Stadium, and it being of AFL standard: 'without the Bears we never have got Carrara... so therefore the Bears were a success.' lol

Last week we had a bit of rain on the GC, and last weekend there was an interstate 'AFL Carnival' staged at Carrara. I know for a fact that the area is prone to flooding - all part of the Skase building standard. After a bit of mud and slush footy, the ground was deemed unsuitable for football and the carnival had to be moved into the back lots, a field in Benowa. They ended up playing the event in front of no one.

So much for the GC having a ground that was up to AFL standard - and it reminds me that I have to let Hoops know. lol.

The NRL were aware of this and made it part of the Titans' criteria that a proper ground of NRL standard had to be built. Hence Robina was charted and a great 20K+ seater will open in 2008.

Meanwhile the AFL are still pushing for the Kangaroos to relocate to the GC (it was the Demons a few years ago), and all on the promise of them having a ready made home ground at Carrara. It simply won't happen, not in this decade anyway.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Willow said:
The move to stop Carrara being rectangular in 2007 was an ill-conceived attempt to stuff things up. Ron Clarke, the AFL lackey mayor simply has not got the numbers on Council.

The Kangaroos proposal is doomed if they try and push it too early. AFL is several years behind League on the GC.

There's a debate with an AFLer called 'Hoops' here in the NRL forum. He was trying to argue that the Brisbane Bears were a success on the Gold Coast. This is despite the fact that Skase was run out of town and the Bears were a financial disaster playing in front of dwindling crowds.

Hoops based his assessment on Skase building Carrara Stadium, and it being of AFL standard: 'without the Bears we never have got Carrara... so therefore the Bears were a success.' lol

Last week we had a bit of rain on the GC, and last weekend there was an interstate 'AFL Carnival' staged at Carrara. I know for a fact that the area is prone to flooding - all part of the Skase building standard. After a bit of mud and slush footy, the ground was deemed unsuitable for football and the carnival had to be moved into the back lots, a field in Benowa. They ended up playing the event in front of no one.

So much for the GC having a ground that was up to AFL standard - and it reminds me that I have to let Hoops know. lol.

The NRL were aware of this and made it part of the Titans' criteria that a proper ground of NRL standard had to be built. Hence Robina was charted and a great 20K+ seater will open in 2008.

Meanwhile the AFL are still pushing for the Kangaroos to relocate to the GC (it was the Demons a few years ago), and all on the promise of them having a ready made home ground at Carrara. It simply won't happen, not in this decade anyway.

It's interesting to see that the Mayor of Gold Coast is taking the side of a Melbourne AFL team over that of a local, GOLD COAST League team...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Ron Clarke is from Melbourne, a 1956 Olympian, he played a bit of Aussie Rules and his brother played 263 games for Essendon. Ronnie's profile has AFL written all over it.

He has already said he is leaving after his contract is up. He'll be gone by the time the Titans move to Robina.

The GC Council is mainly rugby league supporters so Clarke never had the numbers.