What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne can get farked!

The Preacher

First Grade
Hutty1986 said:
Exactly.. Bloody schoolboy stuff some of it and just unacceptable

The trip to Parra stadium on Saturday night will be a tough one

It certainly will be Hutty, we're playing them on Friday night mate.;-)

2 True Blues

Coach
It was still a close game. Illawarra came close to scoring at the end and I thought they would get the points. However that last STORM try was a beauty and really cealed it either way. The STORM were the better side on the day. Immature excuses and bad sportsmanship won't change the fact that the STORM outplayed you's. Bad/lucky bounces, and border line decisions have been around since 1908. Knocking the winning side only makes you look silly, though most of the Dragon supporters seem smart enough to acknowledge this anyway......

drake

First Grade
Man, I hate the Storm franchise a hell of a lot, for so many reasons, but they were a far better team yesterday, and they are leaps and bounds in front of every other team. The Bruise deserved that win.

I'm not too disappointed with the loss, because the mistakes made can be rectified (probably by kicking the Express in the head a few times) and our game plan wasn't too bad. Gorrell had a very off day, kicking and his dummy half service, but overall the standard of play was light years ahead of last week.

We can't keep letting sh*t descisions affect the outcome; we get screwed regularly and we have to incorporate that into our game plan. If Goz kicked better we would have won, regardless of whether or not Turner was offside. In the end, Melbourne out performed us.

Well done to Melbourne, very classy and clever.

The Preacher

First Grade
Melbourne got the points, nobody can say they are not a good side, but just for once I'd like us to get "an even rub of the green".
No excuses can be given that would justify the Dragons saying they were the better side, but the difference in the play the ball was amazing. they just seemed to lay on us forever. I know King was penalised and Slater was binned, but it seemed to me to be every tackle by the Storm was a lay on the man exercise.
Was it they played to the referee better than us or was it that the competition leaders get more latitude from the refs? Hard call, I know , but siht it seemed to take forever for us to get to play the ball.
Melbourne did ALL the fundamental things right and we let ourselves down in basic defence a few times, with Young and Ryles failing to communicate at all on a couple of occasions and Best being, well, Colin Best and attempting to tackle imaginary attackers that only he could see while the real opposition "tra-la laad" on their merry way.
We can get it right, we are a good side, we are in the 4 still and I still think we can win the comp.
On the day, well done to the Storm, when we made mistakes, they capitalised and THAT'S why they won.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Dumb football cost us and playing against Melbourne that is the worst thing you can do cause if there is one team that will punish you for that it's definately them. Ashton's knock on and Poore gave away silly penalties.

If there is anything to blame it is Browny's decision to have the best prop on the bench for the first 20. He came on after Melb scored 12. Would have been different if he started. With Bails leaving us at the end of the season lets see more of Ryles and Bails in the front row. It's not as if they had a heap of games together. They have been injured most of the time they have been at the club. Poore should be used of the bench until Bails goes. Sad to have Bails leave the club playing his remaining games as a bench player.

Hopefully it was a Brown experiment gone wrong and he won't go down that path again.

2 True Blues

Coach
It was still a great game of footy to watch. you guys are going great guns this season, and are in the right position leading into the finals for 2006 in all grades !!!

Steel Dragon

Bench
Well done melbourne - too good.

However.....
Is it just me or is Colin Best getting worse!!?!?
He had a woeful game out of position defensively all day and was on a treadmill with the ball in hand.
(I think Preach knows where this is going...)

Bring back Reece Simmonds! Give him a go and relegate Best - see if he can match it in premmy league - cos he cant in firsts!

Either that or get both the Morris clones running around! I cant wait to see them link up in the backfield!!!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Steel Dragon said:
Either that or get both the Morris clones running around! I cant wait to see them link up in the backfield!!!
Their own friends can't tell them apart. The opposition kickers wouldn't know which side to target, especially if they start switching flanks. lol
If nothing else, it would be great to hear the commentators getting into fluff when calling the game.

Ribs

Bench
I still think its as much Gasnier defensively as Best..... When Best was caught inside for the try before half time it was GAsnier who misread the play. Between the two of them we struggle down that side.

But to be honest, I keep hearing Best sometimes comes in or sometimes stays out, if we numbered up correctly he wouldnt have to make that call every time.

We dont number up, simple.

Apart from that I thought we were well int he game yesterday even though we werent great.

Some good signs. Well done Melbourne though, but they have got to change that knock on rule.

Sticks

Juniors
Melbourne gave us a good lesson in slowing the play the ball down yesterday. Which is a craft in itself not to get overly penalised, however, is it me, or do our players submit to the tackle and then fail to attempt to gain their feet quickly and play the ball? Thus continually showing the ref that the opposition is staying in the tackle too long. Yesterday it seemed like countless tackles were made and Saints players just waited for the tackler(s) to get off. They have to get more pro-active and show the ref they want to get up and going but are being restricted by the opposition.

Sticks

St Bondi

Juniors
Coleman says, "When the Dragons choke, yet again..."

The Dragons haven't choked yet champ ... Still a long way to go!!!

The Saint from Bondi :D

Anyone who actually uses the term choking is an imbecile as far as I'm concerned.

It's a label given by bogans to any team in with a shot that fails to win the premiership in any given year no matter what the circumstances of their exit. Being beaten by a better team on the day = "choking", going down in a close encounter that could have gone either way = "choking", scraping into the finals and going out in the first game to the minor premiers = "choking".

It is so overused and misused by some NRL fans that it has become devoid of real meaning.

CyberKev

Staff member
Follow Me Up To Carlton said:
Anyone who actually uses the term choking is an imbecile as far as I'm concerned.

It's a label given by bogans to any team in with a shot that fails to win the premiership in any given year no matter what the circumstances of their exit. Being beaten by a better team on the day = "choking", going down in a close encounter that could have gone either way = "choking", scraping into the finals and going out in the first game to the minor premiers = "choking".

It is so overused and misused by some NRL fans that it has become devoid of real meaning.

Such is the nature of derogatory slurs, FMUTC.

The people who make them aren't the type to concern themselves with issues such as the level of quality that pervades the upper end of the table in any given year; nor do they worry with such trivialites as degrading the winning side through indiscriminate use of the choking tag.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Follow Me Up To Carlton said:
Its the footy version of penis envy... usually delivered by supporters of teams who don't rate.

The troll Coleman is a South Sydney supporter. Go figure... the word 'imbecile' doesn't do him a justice. Obviously an embarrassment to other Souths fans.

The Preacher

First Grade
Steel Dragon said:
Well done melbourne - too good.

However.....
Is it just me or is Colin Best getting worse!!?!?
He had a woeful game out of position defensively all day and was on a treadmill with the ball in hand.
(I think Preach knows where this is going...)

Bring back Reece Simmonds! Give him a go and relegate Best - see if he can match it in premmy league - cos he cant in firsts!

I didn't realise it was so obvious !:lol:

After seeing Best allow a high ball to bounce, then post himself between attackers for the rest of the day and committing to neither, I wasn't happy.
There is the point of Gaz moving out of the line, as pointed out by our telegraph reporting, Ribs,;-) , but I did see him come up with a couple of "bellringers", and that is my major point with Best's defence, you have to commit to a tackle, you can't just let both stroll past you, hit one of the pricks and hope the cover picks up the other if you find yourself in a 2 on 1. Best's attack was pathetic, with pathetic being the high end of the scale. Solution, Regal Reece - King of the Wing !!!:D

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Reece should be given a chance. I am sure he would of done a better job than Besty on the weekend although Besty did set up a nice try with a clever offload. Best has defence issues but he can sure find the teh line and his dummy half runs are pretty good too as he makes a few meters. Maybe they should put him on Coops side of the field. No better defender than Coops in the centres. He had a great game on the weekend I may add.

The Preacher

First Grade
Father Ted said:
Best is the Stan Gorton of the team without any of Stans better qualities .

Like a comb in his sock ??? :lol: Beautiful, Rev.Ted, Stanley was the champion of the gear stewards. Never a mark on him. The memories, only those of our vintage got to see great moments like those. Wooden seats at Kogarah, Big Ben pies, Chang & Billy, I'd better stop, the desk is rising !!:oops:

Stormwarning[c]

Juniors
It is interesting to read different supporters post on why they hate Melbourne being in the competition and as yet I haven't read one that has any true justification.

Now I say this having a relation who coached two 'traditional clubs', won a premiership, was a Blue and a Kangaroo and have been follwoing the game since cocky was an egg.

Forget the Super League crap for just one minute (I know it is hard for some and there are many bridges people need to build and get over) but how many League supporters do you think are based in Melbourne before the Storm was formed?

I know of 3 supporter groups for Sydney based clubs that have folded down here due to the clubs stance on the game being in Melbourne and basically being told we don't need your support.

There is even a Melbourne based Dragons Supporter group and like them many Melbourne supporters work fricken hard to try and promote the game and get move coverage of the GAME and SPORT throughout Victoria. But in somes view they don't count because they live in Melbourne.:oops::oops:

Ask any of them how hard it is down here to get any coverage in the press. In fact, it has only been the past 2 weeks that Channel Nine Sunday News has even shown any highlights of any games let alone the scores from the round. Now this is the National fricken braodcaster and their Melbourne staff are so pro AFL it's not funny.

League supporters no matter where they live are passionate and the more League promoted not only in Melbourne but around the country has to be good for the sport, dosen't?

It means more and bigger national sponsorship money which can help ALL the clubs, juniors and development of the game. Anyone who thinks expansion of the game isn't a good thing needs to ask in this day and age where will the sport be in 15 years time if it was only played NSW and Qld. What with the AFL spending over $100 million over the next few of years promoting their game in NSW and QLD and League spending....well, next to nothing it really only shows one result....League becoming a 3rd world sport.:?

League is the best game in the country from a every point of view and while there will some that aren't happy the Melbourne is in the comp at the end of the day without us the game would be going backwards fast.

On whether there will be any players from Victoria play.....some may need to do some research as there have been players born in Victoria that have been playing first grade and even Origin for years. Yes they were developed in NSW or QLD but when you consider that as a child you have no say in where your parents move to and that fact that the ARL (not NRL) spent NO money in development of the game down here for over 50 years
you are always going to be on the back foot. Now having said that, since the NRL and ARL pulled their fingers out earlier this year and placed 8 development officers in Melbourne 50 schools 'dropped' AFL and are now teach League. It's a start.

So, if anyone can really tell me why Melbourne shouldn't be in the comp with good reasons I'm listening.