What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne Cup

Anyone think the favourites aren't really that much chop?

I for one do. Im tossing up whether to load up on a big triffecta as i really think there'll be some roughies this year get up

For starters, i think that Gallic and Sirimione at odds will run good races. Its just a weak year. Master O'Reilly is good but geez, if that is the favourite...there is something amiss

Anyway what does everyone else think?

Macca_

Coach
Was never going to be a strong race this year after EI struck.

Really taken with Purple Moon's run in the CC. It's won over the 2 miles and will be better for the run at Caulfield on Saturday. He'll do me at this stage.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
I thought Purple Moon and Tawqeet were the most impressive in the CC, especially after McEvoy made Purple Moon run about 3000m instead of 2400m the amount of times he was going back and forward across the straight.

Nuffs

Bench
Gallic? WTF? i had no idea it was still entered. he's only had 2 runs this prep which seems strange. are they running him this weekend? yes topweight in the MV cup apparently. 4th up into the cup - not sure about that. but yes he's great at the distance

purple moon was a great trial
obviously master o'reilly was too
blue monday ok

the geelong cup today and the MV cup on saturday will at least sort out some of the prentenders from the contenders

Macca_

Coach
Had its chance (Duoro Valley). I was on it. There were better Cup trials in the race for mine...

hessy

Juniors
Douro Valley was given every chance to win and wasn't good enough, he was also losing ground to many of the horses behind him on the line. Theres very little chance he can turn the tables on Master O'Reilly despite Master O getting the penalty and most of the horses behind him will be much stronger over the 3200m. He'll probably finish midfield around 10th-12th for mine.

struggle to make the distance

not sure if purple moon will have the guts over 2 mile. i know its won over the distance but how recent was that?

Seagullsrock

Juniors
Eye_Shot_The_Sheriff said:
struggle to make the distance

not sure if purple moon will have the guts over 2 mile. i know its won over the distance but how recent was that?

5th January, this year. Only a class four though. Time was around 3:52 althought it carried 66.5kg!

Cletus

First Grade
I backed Mahler and Scorpion. The locals aren't much chop this year and I think a half decent overseas horse should win it.

Cletus

First Grade
Seagullsrock said:
5th January, this year. Only a class four though. Time was around 3:52 althought it carried 66.5kg!

Sounds like it was a jumps race:? .

Macca_

Coach
No need to worry about anything from the past for Purple Moon.

Time and again, the Caulfield Cup form is right there for finding horses finishing near the pointy end of the Melbourne Cup placings. And PM was a great run in the CC.

Trainer of the 2 Irish horses thinks he's the one to beat too.

Horse on the up, will get the distance no need to worry about that.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The Caulfield Cup has always been the best guide for the cup winner, The CC field this year was pretty average IMO once Maldivian and Eskimo Queen were scratched. But it was the third fastest in History, but besides the winner the only horse i could have is Purple Moon.

I'll be waiting till tomorrow and see how Miss Finland and Efficient go before making any predictions.

Cletus

First Grade
Purple Moon did win over 3200 in a jumps race. Not that there's anything wrong with that:sarcasm: . Apparently it was a hopeless jumper so it's in flat races now.

After a win in a Novice Hurdle (3219m) and a 12-length second of four in a Hurdle Trial over the same trip in January and February this year, Purple Moon has created quite an impression on the flat by winning the Glorious Stakes (2414m) at Goodwood and the Ebor (2816m) at York in August from three starts for the Cumani stable.

http://www.tab.com.au/Racing/Information/News/DisplayArticle.aspx?State=2&PostingID=%7B31BE7560-BFB4-448D-BD5C-AB93F5930430%7D

Cletus

First Grade
Righto, I've just backed Miss Finland for the cups double:crazy: . It'll win for sure!!!!111!!!!

chili pepper

Bench
Eye_Shot_The_Sheriff said:
Anyone think the favourites aren't really that much chop?

I for one do. Im tossing up whether to load up on a big triffecta as i really think there'll be some roughies this year get up

For starters, i think that Gallic and Sirimione at odds will run good races. Its just a weak year. Master O'Reilly is good but geez, if that is the favourite...there is something amiss

Anyway what does everyone else think?

Master O'Reilly is worst Cup favourite ever. Won a Gr 3 quality Caufield Cup field only.

Zipping and Efficient are the best locals and 2 miles I think. Purple Moons run was great and the Aiden O'brien pair need to be watched closely. Only Miss Finland could win outside those 5.