What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne "No Try"

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
This whole saga is just a case study in the hopeless position NRL refs are in. They are never going to placate us imbeciles. Dumbest fanbase in the world.
I came into say something along these lines (maybe not as blatantly) but yeah, I agree with the sentiment. That was literally a no-win position for Atkins.

soc123_au

Staff member
Yeah, it was. Again, weird fans - it was an intense first 40 minutes, the pace was insane...but I dunno, it wasn't 28-20 so it's not entertaining? Because it was. To me, I guess.
Some people see what they want to see or whinge for the sake of it. I get that it didn't have a "Sattler Tackle" or a "Benji Flick" moment, it was just a good old slugfest. It probably wont feature in too many highlight reels in years to come, Turuvas try was pretty to watch though.

soc123_au

Staff member
1st half 9.5/10

2nd half 2/10

6/10 overall. 2021 probably the best whistle to whistle contest of the 4.

2023 obviously had the most drama.
I'd go higher than 2 on the 2nd half, but I agree it wasn't as good a contest as the 1st. The score was still close, but at no point in the 2nd half did I feel worried.

yobbo84

Coach
Yeah, it was. Again, weird fans - it was an intense first 40 minutes, the pace was insane...but I dunno, it wasn't 28-20 so it's not entertaining? Because it was. To me, I guess.

Some people see what they want to see or whinge for the sake of it. I get that it didn't have a "Sattler Tackle" or a "Benji Flick" moment, it was just a good old slugfest. It probably wont feature in too many highlight reels in years to come, Turuvas try was pretty to watch though.

Weird/whinging for having a differing opinion?

Penrith are Penrith and are the best because they grind their opposition down. They out bore you. They never stop tackling, never stop running, never stop chasing. For 80 mins, every week, for 5 years now.

It's highly, highly effective and it's a formula no one else can emulate. They're too good at it.

But.. it's not very entertaining, from a neutral perspective. Particularly in finals, when the refs put their whistle away and let them just lay all over you for 80 mins.

That's not hating on Penrith.... I spent 5 years blowing up at my own team as we continually failed to adapt to finals footy and fell at the last or 2nd last hurdle. So Kudos to Penrith.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I dislike the smug like no tomorrow but the way it is set up this was never going to be awarded. Sent up no try if we are debating two days later, it's at best inconclusive and goes back to refs call anyway. What was surprising was they came back and said definate no try rather than inconclusive, but the final decision was always going to be the same.

typicalfan

Coach
Penrith were prepared to win 10-0 if needed. Usually these tense games have a pay off like origin 3 did but this game didn't loosen up until Storm knew they couldn't win and Storm are disciplined enough to not let in some late tries.

soc123_au

Staff member
Weird/whinging for having a differing opinion?

Penrith are Penrith and are the best because they grind their opposition down. They out bore you. They never stop tackling, never stop running, never stop chasing. For 80 mins, every week, for 5 years now.

It's highly, highly effective and it's a formula no one else can emulate. They're too good at it.

But.. it's not very entertaining, from a neutral perspective. Particularly in finals, when the refs put their whistle away and let them just lay all over you for 80 mins.

That's not hating on Penrith.... I spent 5 years blowing up at my own team as we continually failed to adapt to finals footy and fell at the last or 2nd last hurdle. So Kudos to Penrith.
The whinge bit wasn't referring to everyone who didn't enjoy it. Just that there is an element of that as well.