What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne Rebels in $1m bid for Billy Slater & Israel Folau

clarency

Juniors
It will be death by a thousand cuts eventually. Especailly as long as decisions are made to run the league like a hospice.

As long as the cuts are being resealed there is nothing to worry about. When the Kangaroos drop to the level of France then we can start worrying but for now we have plenty of potential stars.

You also have to remember to put your money on Billy Slater returning to League after a few years and a few million dollars.

We should know by now that once the players get their money and are left to decide solely upon what game they like better... League tends to be picked by the more well known players.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I find it very sad that we bring through these great players and then can't afford to keep them against a code that is significantly smaller than RL in this country.

I love to watch RL to see these hugely talented players weave their magic on the field. Anyone who thinks there are another 10 Slaters just waiting to get a a start are kidding themselves. Look at the Broncos, the most powerful team in the country, and show me where the excitement machines are in their squad this year.

We have to do all we can to keep our marquee players, they are the face of the game and should be elevating RL to another level beyond all other codes.

We are not losing these players because the clubs can't afford them, we are losing them because SOME clubs don't belong in the top flight as they clearly do not have the resources they need to keep pace with what is needed.

Get it sorted Gallop or get out!

Brutus

Referee
Rugby union never died despite all the whingers in that code complaining for years about league poaching the talent.

Similarly, rugby league will hardly be affected by players moving to union. Despite the whingers in the RL ranks. They are cut from the same cloth as the one-eyed union idiots.

If the cap was raised to $10 million there will still be cheats. Read the O'Neill comments in the article above - they are very good observations.

Particularly this :

"''[The] inventiveness of people to rort the system, as shown by what has happened at Melbourne Storm, can't be underestimated.

''From my banking days I discovered you can't legislate against dishonesty. No matter how good your regulations are, if people choose to be dishonest, it can be incredibly hard to catch them. Often it is not so much the crime which is the problem, it is the cover-up.''

You must be licking your lips.

Perth Red

Post Whore
yeh I'm sure the 30k at Brisbane Reds last week and the sell out crowd in Perth for the Force agree with you.

RU is ripe for the slaughter but to think they are a non entity when they can continue to take our best players as they wish is deluding yourself.

They have just got back on to FTA with a deal that matches the last NRL deal. They are a ways of dead just yet.

Storming Norman

Juniors
What a 48 hours the difference can make?

Wally "Dickhead, asshole" Waldron advise that they will not be poaching Storm Stars.

Well Done Rebels, You just alienated part of your current supporters

clarency

Juniors
In their defence, if you were running the Rebels why the hell wouldn't you?

I get the feeling Waldron was the only one holding that promise and now that he's out of the picture the Rebels are going forward with the plan.

m0nty

Juniors
We wouldn't have to match it.

A marquee player system is desperately needed.

Would love to see Folau go to the Sharks or even Slater go to Knights - AS LONG AS THEY STAYED IN RL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's how we got into this mess in the first place... the Storm were employing the most expensive marquee player system in the country! :sarcasm:

Canard

Immortal
The Rebels don't have enough funds to spend $1M on one player, let alone two.

This is purely speculation turned into an easy story.

BackhanderBilly

Juniors
So it would be great for a bloke like Slater who is a RL player recognised all over Melbourne, to simply bugger off and promote a rival code?

All the hard work for RL down in Melbourne gone down the drain.

Slater is one of RL's rare faces known on a national basis.

Man there are some small-minded people in RL.
We have to get these tainted players out of league somehow. Not only should the Storm be dismantled, but the likes of Smith, Slater and co need to be as far away from the NRL as possible. Their stench is too foul!

The NRL needs to regain the integrity lost via the Melbourne storm, a club rotten to the core!

We have to get these tainted players out of league somehow. Not only should the Storm be dismantled, but the likes of Smith, Slater and co need to be as far away from the NRL as possible. Their stench is too foul!

The NRL needs to regain the integrity lost via the Melbourne storm, a club rotten to the core!

What utter rubbish.

We don't know at all if the players were complicit in this.

Stop talking out of your arse until the investigation is complete!

russ13

First Grade
The half-a-billion or so union got for their next TV deal has to be spread over 5 years?? & divided amongst 3 countries. (If Argentina comes in I am not sure what their share will be.)

What this means is the ARU are only going to get between 30 & 40 million a year from SANZAR

Channel 9 have reportedly offered $10 million for the annual Wallaby games which is about half of what ARU wants.

Just about all the current Australian union franchises are losing money as was the ARU a couple of years ago.

In short union hasn't much money or wll have to be splashing around to buying too many NRL players.

Latest posts