What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne Rebels in $1m bid for Billy Slater & Israel Folau

icewind

Juniors
tbh,as a broncos & qld fan, i wouldn't be that sad to see Folau leave if it meant we might be able to snare Slater (or inglis). We already have Hodges on the right side and a top level fullback/left side outside back would be preferable imo.

Iafeta

Referee
yes, we have some brilliant juniors who can step up and make it in first grade, but anyone who thinks the nrl is better off without any of these players (except barnes) is kidding themselves. we are not a feeder comp, these players should be getting paid what they deserve to play in the worlds premier 'rugby' comp, and more should be done to stop more players leaving our sport. you might say that the dragons are better without gasnier. true, they are playing better football now than they were when he was there, but they would be a hell of a lot better if he was playing for them. he should still be playing rugby league and we should be able to pay him as much as our rival codes elite athletes are getting paid. the nrl admin have a hell of a lot to answer for!

Who out of that list, aside from cutie, do you honestly miss? Fair dinkum, most of them come back anyway after they realise the trash football that union is.

Forget Gasnier as an example, when you have a backline that for most of last year had a World Cup winner in Nightingale coming off the bench, he's hardly worth considering. They're doing just fine without him.

Iafeta

Referee
Tell me Iafeta whats the effect in your own country of kids who play both sports eventually choosing Union.

Where would league be if most of them stuck with league. Thats my fear if we keep sticking our heads in the sand over this. It will start at a junior level and we wont notice it till its too late.

The player numbers NZ faces has absolutely zero to do with the salary cap. It's the fact that rugby infiltrates schools at a very young age and gets players who stick around for a long, long, long time. Their pathways and marketing are monstrously better, which isn't hard given the constant political sham the NZRL have been over the years.

Most kids get into one of the codes at a young age and stick to it. It only changes at high school when a group of mates peer pressure them into the other code. The key is making the game accessible and culturally acceptable, not the lure of professional contracts. Most are playing for the fun of it. I can assure you the games I played at school had nothing to do with potential money, otherwise if that was strictly the case, kids would be going nuts for golf, tennis, NFL, basketball and baseball, wouldn't they?

stuke

Bench
League had its chance. It blew it. Now it's rugby's turn and all the sport has to do is be itself.
_

I thought the Rebels wanted to stand a chance in the competitive Melbourne market. if this is what they are relying on there is nothing to fear!

I love beat up stories like this

and sources "close to the player" type comments. Oh, and its always a club is "in a bid" never a "made a bid yesterday at 3pm".

I often buy the lotto "IN A BID" TO WIN IT.....BUT DO I???

Guys, it goes rats-----taliban--------reporters----the iron curtain.........

These reporters are GOOD reporters, and those guys know how to make a story.

I dont care if its true or not. It just makes a good story first and foremost.

We know :

Union dont have much money, even with the new tv deal. They have stated they no longer wish to pursue league players.

The public doesnt know that in general.

I will be very surprised if they can afford to give one player a million bucks. Let alone do it.

IF the player goes, who cares. Love for him to stay, but we wont mope forever.

I would not take too much notice of the report.

Last edited:
The Rebels boss was on the Melbourne radio this morning saying that the Slater reports were nonsense and that they will not chase any Storm players. He was very emphatic about this and i believe him.

I reckon they'll snare Falou though who is keen to return to Melbourne.

well there you go!

reporters......love a good yarn, dont they

fork over the buck boyz.....soon they will charge for internet reporting....

but guess what, one in 10 can buy the paper, and the rest can be emailed the reports, for whatever good they bloody well are!!!

reporters.....can u believe their sh*t? faking reports to get you to buy their sh*t, then charging for it.....I read it for a laugh.....

hutch

First Grade
Not at all.

But I would prefer to see these players in Australia, and representing Australia, rather than play in overseas competitions.

i would rather see them playing rugby league, in this country or in another country.

BackhanderBilly

Juniors
well there you go!

reporters......love a good yarn, dont they

fork over the buck boyz.....soon they will charge for internet reporting....

but guess what, one in 10 can buy the paper, and the rest can be emailed the reports, for whatever good they bloody well are!!!

reporters.....can u believe their sh*t? faking reports to get you to buy their sh*t, then charging for it.....I read it for a laugh.....
Little boy blue! I have missed you so. I haven't been here in almost a year! You swore you were leaving? Why are you still here?

hutch

First Grade
Who out of that list, aside from cutie, do you honestly miss? Fair dinkum, most of them come back anyway after they realise the trash football that union is.

hunt would be the last person out of that list that i miss, and the least talented. the nrl would be better off with these players, sbw brought massive hype, was a massive promotional tool for rugby league in aus and nz and also could of been one of the great kiwis, gasnier was all class and nsw dont have anyone close to his ability, gower is penrith panthers and should have never played for anyone else, mcclinden and schicofske were no great loss i agree, tuquri, sailor and rogers took a lot of publicity to rugby union and had the media in a frenzy going on about the death of rugby league. nobody in this country gave a sh*t about rugby union until these players went there, and rugby league was looked at as a feeder code. thats what sh*t me the most, the publicity league lost and union gained. yes, they may have come back, but some damage was done. i know the game is as healthy as it has ever been (until last week anyway), but it would be bigger and better still if it hadnt lost these players over the years.

Forget Gasnier as an example, when you have a backline that for most of last year had a World Cup winner in Nightingale coming off the bench, he's hardly worth considering. They're doing just fine without him.

i rate nightingale and a few of the other dragons players, but they are nowhere near the class of gasnier.

its not all doom and gloom, as i said we are in a great position, but we should be in a better position and we should be able to hold onto our best players. the nrl and rlif need to think bigger.

Latest posts