What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne Rebels in $1m bid for Billy Slater & Israel Folau

Iafeta

Referee
and we all stressed when sonny bill and le Gaz racked off

let them f**k off

we have plenty of talent coming through

union has more money, what do you want clubs to go broke?

you guys would have a skinnier squad than the sharks if it wasnt for your sugar daddy. guess its easy to whore yourself out and ask for more money

not everyone has that option

Bravo!

Right on.

Let's have a look at the players we have lost over the years

Gower - Panthers are going good without him now
Tahu - He's come back from the tripe
Sailor - came back from the tripe
Tuqiri - came back from the tripe
Barnes - LOL
McLinden - LOL
Schifcofske - Canberra have put in two good fullbacks since
$BW - Canterbury have done better without the souless money hungry dweeb
cutie - Parasite benedict arnold traitor, nevertheless Brisbane always produce good players to cover

Who cares about rah-rah? They're not worth a bee sting in vagina face Gould's eyes.

Iafeta

Referee
I found this piece in the NZ Herald yesterday. The comments are worth reading.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/news/article.cfm?c_id=466&objectid=10640643&pnum=2
Gregor Paul on rugby
Gregor-Paul100x100.gif

Gregor Paul is the Herald on Sunday's rugby writer

comments
Rugby should clean up in Storm aftermath

By Gregor Paul

4:00 AM Sunday Apr 25, 2010

Expand
The timing is perfect. Just as rugby signed off on a massive broadcast deal that will help fund a new venture in Melbourne, rugby league in that city discovered it was sitting on dynamite.

No one in rugby will feel the slightest sympathy for a code that pillaged at will during the amateur days.
And for many in the 15-man game, what has happened at the Storm is comeuppance not only for historic grievances related to recruitment, but it is also comeuppance for a sport that has become morally and ethically bereft.
Rugby, while far from being squeaky clean these days, does at least try to adhere to core values of honesty, humility, respect, tolerance and compassion.
In Dan Carter and Richie McCaw they have two of the best role models any code could have and there are plenty more.
League on the other hand seems to be barely able to go five minutes without discovering yet another bampot in their midst. And it's not hi-jinks kind of stuff, either.

Alcohol is clearly a problem in the NRL. A big problem. Booze and league players have proved the most volatile mix in recent years with quite staggering revelations last year being made about Cronulla players involved in group sex.
Before that there was the Bulldogs scandal in 2004; Mark Gasnier's ghastly phonecall that same year; Greg Bird; Craig Gower; Willie Mason; Nate Myles; Todd Carney ... and even Alfie Langer.
What the Storm have done is confirm that league is a sport rotten to the core. Even the white collars in a blue collar sport can't be trusted now.
Rugby couldn't ask for a greater opportunity to not only establish itself in Melbourne but also within league's strongholds.
It's Melbourne, though, where rugby must pounce. Australia is the obvious growth market for rugby in the Southern Hemisphere and Victoria is virtually untapped.
There are corporate dollars to chase in a city with a rich financial services background. Even with such a strong AFL presence, an established and growing football culture as well as Formula One and the Australian Open, Melbourne can financially support a Super 15 side.
The Storm and the questionable culture of the NRL should make it that bit easier for the Rebels. Melbourne is a city with a burgeoning, educated, middle class and rugby is a sport with a culture and values that will appeal to those sick of NRL, and to a lesser extent AFL, boof-heads.
Surely rugby will be rewarded for its promotion of ethically sound, well-balanced young men?
The arrival of semi-articulate, polite, community-spirited Rebels players in Melbourne will help rugby win hearts and minds.
When the top end of a sport has respectful, courteous and inspirational people on show, it does much to persuade parents they should push their children in that direction.
League had its chance. It blew it. Now it's rugby's turn and all the sport has to do is be itself.
By Gregor Paul | Email Gregor
_

LOL@ gregor paul. He's just an AB fan boy.

gaterooze

Bench

Barnes - LOL
McLinden - LOL
cutie - Parasite benedict arnold traitor, nevertheless Brisbane always produce good players to cover

Gaaazzz - Dragons are a better team than they ever were with Gaz.
Rogers - came back from the tripe
Blacklock - disappeared

btw, I couldn't have given a toss if Tahu, Sailor, Tuqiri or Rogers never came back, it's not like they change anything in League.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Man, I reckon this is the best time for the Rebels to make this statement.

The Storm fans have gone into a seige mentality, and for a rivals to bid to take away Slater, is akin to kicking someone when they are down.

Iafeta

Referee
Gaaazzz - Dragons are a better team than they ever were with Gaz.
Rogers - came back from the tripe
Blacklock - disappeared

btw, I couldn't have given a toss if Tahu, Sailor, Tuqiri or Rogers never came back, it's not like they change anything in League.

Exactly. Over the last 10 years we haven't A: lost that many B: been immeasurably worse off without the ones who have gone because of the talent that keeps coming through C: half them want to return because its such a bogan sport.

Should we now be concerned that Jarrod Saffy is a Melbourne Rebel for God's sakes?!

Noa

First Grade
Tell me Iafeta whats the effect in your own country of kids who play both sports eventually choosing Union.

Where would league be if most of them stuck with league. Thats my fear if we keep sticking our heads in the sand over this. It will start at a junior level and we wont notice it till its too late.

hutch

First Grade
We have to get these tainted players out of league somehow. Not only should the Storm be dismantled, but the likes of Smith, Slater and co need to be as far away from the NRL as possible. Their stench is too foul!

The NRL needs to regain the integrity lost via the Melbourne storm, a club rotten to the core!

everyone is entitled to an opinion, but yours is stupid. slater and smith are probably the only rugby league players who are instantly recognisable as any afl player in melbourne. they 'are' rugby league in melbourne, losing them is the worst possible thing that can happen to rugby league continuing to grow in melbourne.

clarency

Juniors
Where would league be if most of them stuck with league. Thats my fear if we keep sticking our heads in the sand over this. It will start at a junior level and we wont notice it till its too late.

Well gee wizz if they didn't leave we would have the most competitive rugby league comp in the world. By golly we could even be ranked the number 1 rugby league team in the world too!!!

Oh wait...

Like I said... When Australia struggles to beat France... then we can worry.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Who? Seriously, I have never heard this name before.

Argentinian RU international. I don't actually think he'd be much chop at league - it's not like standing out for Argentina takes a great deal. But it'd be an interesting bit of press to have a South American player in the league.

hutch

First Grade
Bravo!

Right on.

Barnes - LOL
McLinden - LOL

Who cares about rah-rah? They're not worth a bee sting in vagina face Gould's eyes.

yes, we have some brilliant juniors who can step up and make it in first grade, but anyone who thinks the nrl is better off without any of these players (except barnes) is kidding themselves. we are not a feeder comp, these players should be getting paid what they deserve to play in the worlds premier 'rugby' comp, and more should be done to stop more players leaving our sport. you might say that the dragons are better without gasnier. true, they are playing better football now than they were when he was there, but they would be a hell of a lot better if he was playing for them. he should still be playing rugby league and we should be able to pay him as much as our rival codes elite athletes are getting paid. the nrl admin have a hell of a lot to answer for!

Loudstrat

Coach
yeh I'm sure the 30k at Brisbane Reds last week and the sell out crowd in Perth for the Force agree with you.

RU is ripe for the slaughter but to think they are a non entity when they can continue to take our best players as they wish is deluding yourself.
As they wish? Really?

Of players awarded in the last 6 Dally M Awards, Union has poached:
Brian Carney - (He came from Union anyway - more about going home to Ireland).

AFL poached cutie.

The list of thosw who knocked back Yawnion/AFL offers includes Andrew Johns, Darren Lockyer, Nathan Hindmarsh, Jarryd Hayne and a host of others I couldn't be bothered remembering.

Slater wont leave League.............remember Bellamys comments at the media conference on Saturday afternoon...."these boys are galvanised and play for the LOVE OF EACH OTHER"... :roll:

The Tank

Bench
I hope Slater won't leave. From what he's said I doubt he would but money is money and he has a young family. If he goes I hope it's to Europe and not the Rebels or AFL. I'd be gutted to see him playing for a rival code in Australia.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
League players that have switched to Union and came back:

Wendel Sailor
Matt Rogers
Lote Tuqiri
Brad Thorn (but went back to RU again)
Andrew Walker
Nathan Blacklock
Timana Tahu
Clinton Schifofske (left RL in Aus, can back to RL in UK)
Ryan McGoldrick
Brian Carney (UK)
Lee Smith (UK)
Iestyn Harris (UK)
Henry Paul (UK)

Anyone else from UK?

Cranky

Juniors
The Rebels boss was on the Melbourne radio this morning saying that the Slater reports were nonsense and that they will not chase any Storm players. He was very emphatic about this and i believe him.

I reckon they'll snare Falou though who is keen to return to Melbourne.

Latest posts