What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne, Whats The Point ?

HAL

Juniors
Thanks for your thoughts

For the people that think i'm melbourne bashing rest easy i'm not(i'm all for expansion)
i was just stateing the fact on our grand final day they had poor media coverage in melbourne and was just ticked off buy this behaviour and a champion team should get more respect then that.

I think now to avoid this obvious ignorance it is quite clear we have to do every thing we can to not have the grand final on the same weekend as afl(this was going to happen next year when the nrl announced a second bye due to player burn out )but the afl a short time after this announced they will extended their season as well(make your own mind up about why they did that ) apparently for a sos tournament lol that players don't even won't to play in.

HHH

Juniors
im all for melbourne in the comp, i think they have to be there, but this crap about exposing 4 million ppl to sponsorships is just silly considering they arent on free to air at a reasonable hour in there city. so that exposure point should be used until the NRL force te game on a reasonable hour down there, then we might see some real commercial viability there

HAL

Juniors
HHH: yeah i know, i can not understand why channel nine keep on ignoring the fact that origin and club games shown live down there this year had very healthy ratings and good apportunity to build good fan base from there !

There must be someone very incompetent that runs the nrl,or conflict of interest (newslim)or something because it just doesn't make sense

Manly fLIP

Juniors
I don't mind having a Melbourne team. As 'NRL' suggests we need to aim for a 'National' Rugby League. Perhaps it wasn't the best place to kick off going country wide (WA probably had more claim to the cause) but it shows that a team in Melbourne can at least be succesful on the field, the next step is off.

As for complaining that Melbourne don't deserve a successful team well who else actually deserves it? If they hadn't won the premiership in such a dominent fashion this quesiton wouldn't even be raised.

Its the fans loss if they don't support the team but it needs more time. You can't expect to snatch away what AFL built in over 100 years in just a decade.

camsmith

Juniors
Knightmare said:
There is better atmosphere at Storm home games than there are at Sharks or Broncos home games, both teams from Rugby League heartland.

I haven't been to any regular season games away so I'll take your word for it. What I will say is continually at Olympic Park the crowd ALWAYS looks more than is recorded. Its unbelievable how sometimes it looks absolutley packed and yet the figure is still 5,000 under capacity.

On the atmosphere, that could be right, the cow bell helps :D

AFL generally gets more people to games than RL, so taking into account that fact, the weather, the sh*t stadium and question marks about the attendance figures... our crowds aren't too bad.

One of the biggest day for our club will be the opening of the new stadium. Should be great and hopefully an even better atmosphere!

taipan

Referee
adamkungl said:
Rabbitohs was only a debacle because they think they're above the league...I just can't comprehend any more teams being cut though, it would be tearing at the foundations of the game to take out any of the current teams. Reducing the comp to 14 was necessary after the super league war, the game could simply not sustain the teams it had. But the game now is healthy, and getting stronger each year. To me sustainable expansion is not only in area but size. A new team in strategic areas every 5-10 years, while not weakening, forcefully relocating, killing or merging current teams. Just moving or chopping and adding teams is not true expansion.
Obviously the most important factors in this are a bigger focus on grassroots in already strong areas, to provide the talent for a larger comp, and to build up new teams in weaker areas, ie. perhaps an Adelaide team, and placing new teams in areas that have the foundations to provide local talent in a relatively short time frame, eg. maybe Perth, with its JB cup team and all.
Also, the areas I see as suitable for expansion are (in vaguely this order) Perth, Central Coast, Adelaide, Wellington, and Brisbane. 21 teams. I could tolerate a relocation to CC. As long as its not my team. Based on close proximity, it would have to be Easts, Souths, Cronulla, or St George. Easts have money and a strong history, as do Souths, who also have a large junior base, however dubiously claimed. Saints have the merger, money, and a huge junior base. Cronulla? If one team had to move, it would have to be them surely. I'd hate to see it personally. But 21 teams seems one too many.

hate to tell you LOL but Cronulla have a larger junior base than Manly,about 5-6 times as many juniors as Easts,own their own ground,have a new $10m stand under construction,
have DA approval for development for their grounds which will eventually reap millions for the club.BTW the Sharks average crowds apart from this years debacle,have been amongst the top 3 or 4 in Sydney in the past.Saints don't have the money,the poker machine tax ,has seen to that.They will be reducing their allocation to the football club by $2m per annum.
History unfortunately doesn't help you,ask Nth Sydney.Its all about financial stability.