What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbournes Money

What to do with Melbourne $8 million cash injection

• Total voters

big_matt

Juniors
not sure if this helps

Background

Excellent mate thanks.

big country

Juniors
btw - it's really the second half of the book that's dedicated to Superleague and Souths fight for reinstatement....the first half is about George........it's really the most comprehensive write up on the Superleague War that I'm aware of any way - certainly more than a newspaper write up

drake

First Grade
Who most likely already have Pay subscriptions and are already present within the regular FTA ratings data.

CC offers nothing to the game in terms of increased television revenue, which whether you like it or not is what keeps the game alive.

Everyone agrees QLD needs further expansion, that shouldn't be to the detriment of development areas however.

They will have locals playing in the team within 10 years.

Equal access to these players that every other club has.

& consign the sport to minnow status outside of NSW & QLD

Yep, simply genius Drake :crazy:

Don't crack at it at Melbourne because your own team was too sh*t to win a finals game.

The NRL may like the fact that Melbourne are successful on field, but they do nothing whatsoever to ensure that happens.

Since 2000, in 10 seasons, 8 of the 16 teams presently in the competition have won a premiership. In 10 years, half the competition has won the title... How could one possibly argue your team, whoever you support (I assume you support an NRL side, not just a typical old Newtown sook) is "prevented" from winning a premiership?

The AFL allowed increased salary caps for the two northern sides, they continue to allow larger playing list sizes than the other clubs and allow them priority access in a draft system to local players.

Name me one thing the NRL do that is comparable to that?

Again, how does the NRL do any such thing.

No, the general sporting public isn't dumb. Those who who have no vision outside of their own local parochial blinkers are the imbeciles.
Learn to use the multiquote or struggle with the idea of putting the right name next to the right quote, dickhead.

Everytime I see someone bring up Melbourne's success as my reason for my absolute hatred of them, I laugh.

As a Merge Tigpies fan, I'd have thought you might have liked the idea of your supporter base making some bloody sense, instead of squashing two foundation clubs, neither of which have any district ties to one another, to make room for f**king 'franchises'.
Single team towns that barely rate above Cronulla and Easts in terms of crowds do not deserve a free rugby league team. Every other team, including the sheep shaggers, represents an area that actually cares about our sport.

A petabyte of sad flames across the internet will not change my mind. Melbourne Storm should not be in the NRL.

Calling them a successful Rugby League club is like calling McDonalds a world class restaurant. But for that comparison to be fair, the entire restaurant industry would have to be paying for Maccas to exist.

f**king scabs.

Last edited:

elbusto

Coach
Learn to use the multiquote or struggle with the idea of putting the right name next to the right quote, dickhead.

Everytime I see someone bring up Melbourne's success as my reason for my absolute hatred of them, I laugh.

As a Merge Tigpies fan, I'd have thought you might have liked the idea of your supporter base making some bloody sense, instead of squashing two foundation clubs, neither of which have any district ties to one another, to make room for f**king 'franchises'.
Single team towns that barely rate above Cronulla and Easts in terms of crowds do not deserve a free rugby league team. Every other team, including the sheep shaggers, represents an area that actually cares about our sport.

A petabyte of sad flames across the internet will not change my mind. Melbourne Storm should not be in the NRL.

Calling them a successful Rugby League club is like calling McDonalds a world class restaurant. But for that comparison to be fair, the entire restaurant industry would have to be paying for Maccas to exist.

f**king scabs.
did you kick the dog after finishing that diatribe? You are an angry little petal aren't you?

Last edited:

Ulysseus

Bench
Divide it equally between the other clubs.

Then organise a task force to move heaven and earth to ensure Melbourne is harvested for enough sponsorship to keep the storm healthy.

We need Melbourne. But the have to be self sufficient.

Loudstart, they've existed since 1998, have 3 titles to their name and a list of rep players, none of whom they developed.

If they aren't self sufficient by now, they never will be.

Its time for them to sink or swim, its as simple as that.

Ulysseus

Bench

f**king scabs.

:music1::clap::clap::clap::clap:

POST OF THE DECADE!

I somewhat disagree with the statement "they shouldn't be in the NRL" if they can pay their own way then so be it, but I don't agree with the continual handouts.

BUT I do think they are a soulless excuse for a club with no real junior base, how many of those Under 20's were born in Victoria and played there junior footy there?
Get back to me with a number please, someone, anyone.

My hatred of them is for their success, and the false pretenses it was gained with.
For them to succeed the game was turned into Wrestlemania XX in 2006, its only just starting to get decent again now.

As stated earlier, if they can't stand on their own 2 feet after 12 seasons in the big show, then they are destined never to do so.
Natural attrition should be used.

f**kING SCABS!
Damn right.

In-goal

Bench
The only morons here are the ones without economic sense, the problem some of you have is you live in NSW where you have little to no concept of a national competition.

The reason the AFL fairs so well is that it looks after it's expansion clubs first and traditional clubs second, unfortunately, in Sydney these clubs have had 100 years or close to to get it right and still they haven't.

Don't blame the storm, blame yourselves and your friends, don't stop there blame your neighbours as not enough of you support the game in the way in which it deserves.

Ulysseus

Bench
The only morons here are the ones without economic sense, the problem some of you have is you live in NSW where you have little to no concept of a national competition.

The reason the AFL fairs so well is that it looks after it's expansion clubs first and traditional clubs second, unfortunately, in Sydney these clubs have had 100 years or close to to get it right and still they haven't.

Don't blame the storm, blame yourselves and your friends, don't stop there blame your neighbours as not enough of you support the game in the way in which it deserves.

Economic sense?
I work for one of the biggest mining companies on the planet, and if something required cash injections yearly for 12 years without making a profit then I would not be starting to ask serious questions about its profitability after 12 years, I would have brought the sword down, ceased exploration, sold the prospect and tried to recoup losses after 6 years.
You can't sell ice to the eskimos mate.
Real business does not operate in the fantasy world of the NRL, in reality if you don't make a profit and make the f**ker quickly, you perish, usually without a trace.
The Storm have their godfather in News Ltd, how long do you think they'd have lasted if they were a real company that kicked off, got finance to run for 3 to 4 years and then had to have started making money by the 3rd to both continue operations and pay back the debt from the start-up loans?
Not long at all.

nomarg

Economic sense?
I work for one of the biggest mining companies on the planet, and if something required cash injections yearly for 12 years without making a profit then I would not be starting to ask serious questions about its profitability after 12 years, I would have brought the sword down, ceased exploration, sold the prospect and tried to recoup losses after 6 years.
You can't sell ice to the eskimos mate.
Real business does not operate in the fantasy world of the NRL, in reality if you don't make a profit and make the f**ker quickly, you perish, usually without a trace.
The Storm have their godfather in News Ltd, how long do you think they'd have lasted if they were a real company that kicked off, got finance to run for 3 to 4 years and then had to have started making money by the 3rd to both continue operations and pay back the debt from the start-up loans?
Not long at all.

It depends what the pay off is- melbourne become a sucess ,League wil compete with Union and AFL forever....if we fail in Melbourne Thats it- league will always be the poorer cousin why turn back after all this time and money has been spent....

I work for one of the biggest asset and fund management comp. in the world. There is no way they would pull out know- new stadium and with the latest ratings they would stick with it for another 5 years minimum.....

Evenflow

Bench

f**king scabs.

I understand your hatred and resentment towards a team that has had so much success and also the team of the decade. A team that came into the comp the very same year as yours. Why wouldn't you be as bitter as you are given you had a player pool of two entire clubs to choose from yet still haven't been able to win the one and only game that counts.

Factor in that the Mexicans have won 3 premierships in the same period, not to mention the Wests Tigers have won a title under the same circumstances as your merger/joint venture in less time, it's perfectly understandable that you're an angry man who obviously hates the world.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ask yourself why News have pumped so much money into the storm. They know full well, as does anyone else with an ounce of sense, that having Melbourne involved in the NRL is absolutely vital to the future prosperity of the NRL.

I know many of you want to go back to 1975 and the NSWRL played in front of 5,000 people at local suburban parks but move on or give up!

matt

Juniors
That actually is not that bad of an idea come to think of it,you dont gate crash other peoples party and kick out the hosts,I say you move on and give up.

It sure beats the hell out of watching a skewed competition.

I vote for a break away competition bring back the bears,the jets,steelers ,Magpies and tigers, let Qld teams decide if they want to be with us ,and let melbourne play perth they could even call it a super league or similar,because who actually gives a f**k.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Actually I once went to a party where the host was a complete d1ck head and eventaully left as he was substandard to the rest of the party goers. The party got much better when he left!