What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbournes Money

What to do with Melbourne $8 million cash injection

• Total voters

big_matt

Juniors
Was Richmond not in trouble 20 years ago when it was still VFL though? And despite Melbourne struggling, they will still get bigger attendances than any team in the NRL apart from the broncos. I was just trying to make the point that neither have dissapeared, which is what some people are saying will happen to sydney nrl teams if the storm continue to get supported.

But I agree, if we want a bigger salary cap etc in the NRL we need a bigger tv deal and we wont get a bigger tv deal if its a sport that only a corner or australia watches.

_Johnsy

Referee
Eh? We were asked what the other clubs get in return for the 5 mill and I think I gave a pretty big answer to that. They get a comp in the future.

Big matt

I understand that Melbourne is an important part of the competition (but no more important than any other side) But we prop them up and the return is we get to play, sorry mate cant swallow that. A johnny come lately franchise is not the jewel in the NRL crown you think it is.

Tradition and history along with expansion is the way forward. If a team cannot survive without being propped up by every other club, they should suffer the same fate as clubs that were not the benefactors of news ltd's generosity (& possible value of future tv rights is not a jusification to continue to prop them up). You cannot have one rule for one club, and a different one for others.

Balmain, Wests, StGeorge, Illawarra, Perth, Adelaide etc

_Johnsy

Referee
And despite Melbourne struggling, they will still get bigger attendances than any team in the NRL apart from the broncos.

Based on what exactly, the hope a new stadium will automatically transfer into to more fans at the game, I hope it does, but hope means nothing when attemptng to debate a point you are trying to make. Based on the below figures, averages of home and away games in 2009. Melbourne have a long, long way to go to back up your wishful claim.

BRISBANE - 25482
BULLDOGS - 20277
TITANS - 18328
DRAGONS - 17977
SOUTHS - 17685
TIGERS - 17003
PARRA - 16734
COWBOYS - 16586
WARRIORS - 16485
MANLY - 14723
KNIGHTS - 14677
PANTHERS - 13857
STORM - 13540
ROOSTERS - 12876
SHARKS - 12415
RAIDERS - 12361

elbusto

Coach
Based on what exactly, the hope a new stadium will automatically transfer into to more fans at the game, I hope it does, but hope means nothing when attemptng to debate a point you are trying to make. Based on the below figures, averages of home and away games in 2009. Melbourne have a long, long way to go to back up your wishful claim.

BRISBANE - 25482
BULLDOGS - 20277
TITANS - 18328
DRAGONS - 17977
SOUTHS - 17685
TIGERS - 17003
PARRA - 16734
COWBOYS - 16586
WARRIORS - 16485
MANLY - 14723
KNIGHTS - 14677
PANTHERS - 13857
STORM - 13540
ROOSTERS - 12876
SHARKS - 12415
RAIDERS - 12361
In case you had not noticed they are building a new stadium in Melbourne to replace the archaic wasteland known as Olympic Park. The fact they averaged that many in that dump is quit remarkable.

Melbourne has more potential to grow crowds than any other Club and the new facility will help that.

This is an endless and pointless debate.

It just goes round and round.

Simple fact is the NRL will not allow Melbourne to go under. It cannot and will not.

big_matt

Juniors

BRISBANE - 25482
BULLDOGS - 20277
TITANS - 18328
DRAGONS - 17977
SOUTHS - 17685
TIGERS - 17003
PARRA - 16734
COWBOYS - 16586
WARRIORS - 16485
MANLY - 14723
KNIGHTS - 14677
PANTHERS - 13857
STORM - 13540
ROOSTERS - 12876
SHARKS - 12415
RAIDERS - 12361

Haha. Calm down mate. We were discussing Melbourne Demons in the AFL, who get bigger crowds than everyone except the broncos. Didnt mention Storm.

elbusto

Coach
And this is the bit that hurts - Melbourne ARE more important to the NRL than a lot of the other Clubs. That's the truth.

meltiger

First Grade
Based on what exactly, the hope a new stadium will automatically transfer into to more fans at the game, I hope it does, but hope means nothing when attemptng to debate a point you are trying to make.

We think it will mate. Thing is, when trying to garner interest amongst AFL types, who are used to the facilities at the 'G & Etihad, it is extremely difficult to convince them to stand in the gravel, in the rain at Olympic to watch a game that they are either only part time fans of or not quite sold on yet.

Our new stadium will do wonders in changing this.

Big matt

I understand that Melbourne is an important part of the competition (but no more important than any other side) But we prop them up and the return is we get to play, sorry mate cant swallow that. A johnny come lately franchise is not the jewel in the NRL crown you think it is.

Tradition and history along with expansion is the way forward. If a team cannot survive without being propped up by every other club, they should suffer the same fate as clubs that were not the benefactors of news ltd's generosity (& possible value of future tv rights is not a jusification to continue to prop them up). You cannot have one rule for one club, and a different one for others.

Balmain, Wests, StGeorge, Illawarra, Perth, Adelaide etc

On St George - St George chose to merge without anyones prompting, so we cannot include them in that list.

With other clubs like Balmain, Wests, Norths, the argument for why Melbourne is more important to the future of the game is very simple. Does the existence of the Wests Tigers rather than Balmain/Wests as stand alones hurt RL in Sydney? No. Sure there are people like me who have had trouble in the past supporting the JV, and some who refuse to but at the end of the day, this is a dying breed of people. Hell, I saw kids at games this year that were born post the merger & could never have seen the traditional clubs play a game in first grade. These kids do not have any connection bar maybe through family to Balmain or Wests, they are legitimately Wests Tigers fans first. Over the long term, those of us who have that connection will continue to dwindle, and those who don't will continue to increase.

It's a reality that for the most part has led even someone like me who DESPISES the concept of mergers, (particularly in the case of Balmain) to accept what has been done and look to the future.

However, when we look at Melbourne, does Melbourne folding due to a lack of support from the NRL hurt RL in Melbourne? Yes. If Melbourne fold, you quite simply kill any chance of the game ever succeeding in this city. To continue to grow the game, grow the tv rights and ensure a stronger future for the comp - Clubs like Melbourne MUST be supported for as long as neccesary.

FWIW ... i would also include Newcastle in that list. the Knights folding would be disasterous.

Last edited:

big country

Juniors

BRISBANE - 25482
BULLDOGS - 20277
TITANS - 18328
DRAGONS - 17977
SOUTHS - 17685
TIGERS - 17003
PARRA - 16734
COWBOYS - 16586
WARRIORS - 16485
MANLY - 14723
KNIGHTS - 14677
PANTHERS - 13857
STORM - 13540
ROOSTERS - 12876
SHARKS - 12415
RAIDERS - 12361

for a team in 4 successive g/finals with a star studded line up - those figures are cause for great concern:shock:

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Radical idea.

Why not secure a significant enough TV rights deal that will ensure the game's financial future. Then ensure clubs have competent administrators (not the current chook raffle types) to produce the additonal revenue (specifically, sponsorship) to ensure a viable competition.

First step: get rid of the media lackeys (Gallop etc) and dead wood leeches (Love, Carr etc) to ensure we have competent independent negotiators involved.

Failing this - mount a legal challenge against News Limited's involvement and get the ACC to challenge News/Fox dominance over owning/broadcasting sport. Make it ugly enough for News to exit.

_Johnsy

Referee
I take it, this is exactly where we are ATM?

msn-magic-roundabout-470x350-tm.jpg

big_matt

Juniors
^^ Haha. That's right.

To go slightly off topic, can anyone recommend me a good, unbiased book on the superleague wars?

elbusto

Coach
Radical idea.

Why not secure a significant enough TV rights deal that will ensure the game's financial future. Then ensure clubs have competent administrators (not the current chook raffle types) to produce the additonal revenue (specifically, sponsorship) to ensure a viable competition.

First step: get rid of the media lackeys (Gallop etc) and dead wood leeches (Love, Carr etc) to ensure we have competent independent negotiators involved.

Failing this - mount a legal challenge against News Limited's involvement and get the ACC to challenge News/Fox dominance over owning/broadcasting sport. Make it ugly enough for News to exit.
thats really going to attract people and investors to the game - another bloody war!

meltiger

First Grade
^ not neccesarily Johnnys. I don't think anyone would be complaining about Melbourne's money if other clubs were receiving larger grants - & that should be the goal, not cutting Melbourne's throat.

I'd also argue that had the teams that finished 1st, 2nd or even 3rd on the ladder won the premiership as opposed to choking ... This thread wouldn't even exist.

Melbourne won this years premiership based on the fact they didn't choke in the finals, as opposed to the 3 teams who finished above them who won a grand total of 1 finals game from 6 between them ;-)

elbusto

Coach
^^ Haha. That's right.

To go slightly off topic, can anyone recommend me a good, unbiased book on the superleague wars?
not sure if this helps

Background

elbusto

Coach
not sure if this helps

Background

Just took those off Wikipedia

Latest posts